U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 07:36 AM

74 posts, read 61,016 times

Advertisements

I've always heard that Windsor is the place to go for Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:01 PM

135 posts, read 104,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Well Buffalo is a large metro area. The same with Cleveland, STL, Indianapolis, ect but most people from there all think Detroit traffic is bad because a 40 minute commute is almost unheard of in the Midwest outside of Chicago and Detroit. Don't get me wrong, rush hour is terrible in Detroit, but with all of Detroit's freeways and alternate routes the metro area could probably gain a million people before Detroit has unbearable congestion problems. Speaking of Seattle, I never been there but I know it's a little smaller than metro Detroit, does their freeway system suck like Atlanta's? I hope not, because ATL's road system is the definition of a epic fail.
With Seattle the problem is two fold. The first being that Seattle's physical geography makes it difficult to have an extensive enough freeway system. The city itself is surrounded on 3 sides by water and only has one freeway that runs north and south through the city, and only two that go east out of the city(west side is all water). In most metros there are multiple freeways going in each direction into and out of the city proper, that isn't the case with Seattle. The population of the metro has almost doubled in the last 30 years, but Seattle still had disproportionally bad traffic prior to that for this reason.

The second problem has been a lack of good public transit, particularly now with how fast the region has grown in recent years. They have just recently set up a light rail system but it is still in its earlier stages and currently only goes about 10 or so miles north and south out of the city. It does nothing for those who live on the east side, which is a large portion of the suburban population, maybe even the largest. It really is only utilized by those who live north or south of the city and happen to work in downtown. For everyone else it isn't mature enough yet to be useful, and everything else is all bus travel, and that really is not time effective for most people since you have to transfer buses multiple times during your commute. I live in the further south end of the metro and have to go to the northernmost suburb once a week for work. It takes me about 2 and a half hours each way. For perpective, I could almost make it to Portland in that same period of time. It's a terrible metro for traffic and gets worse by the day as the metro is growing at a fast rate

Old 05-11-2017, 06:13 PM

90 posts, read 84,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I am from Upstate NY (Syracuse) and also lived in the Metro Detroit area for approximately 10 years.

Whenever I say that I lived around Detroit, people automatically assume that it was a scary experience because the city has such a bad rap so I am constantly having to explain to them how it really is.

The area does have a lot going for it and I have read a lot about the city itself working on bringing back some business so that is good news.

That's the bond between Buffalo and Detroit...... both cities have gotten kicked in the teeth by the media for different reasons of course......but Detroit worse in my opinion.

And a lot of it is just plan ignorance

Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 PM

90 posts, read 84,490 times
Found some great Detroit style pizza at Green Lantern, and hands down the best stuff I've come across in the area food wise.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
Found some great Detroit style pizza at Green Lantern, and hands down the best stuff I've come across in the area food wise.
Lol told you . Now try some of the other ones and let me know which one you think is best. I personally like Buddy's.

Last edited by mjlo; 05-15-2017 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Request complete

Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
One of my peeves is the way cars are marketed in this area. All prices quoted are for "returning employee lessee" or "family pricing". GM and Chrysler are particularly bad at this. Not being from this area, I have no connection to the car industry. Am I in such a minority that I can be ignored?
You can thank the dealers and their advertising collectives for this strategy. With the vast majority of D3 car sales in Metro Detroit having an employee discount attached to them, the easiest way for the dealers to attract business is to attract anyone with an employee plan. Those customers are locked into a price and don't have to be negotiated with. They also are far less likely to shop the competition since the competition isn't going to be able to compete on price. This turns into a zero sum game where the dealers are constantly trying to pull ahead sales by convincing people to trade in their cars/leases earlier than they had planned, which is why they are constantly splashing the employee pricing across their TV, radio and print ads. Their primary competition comes from their own sales. They don't have any desire to put the resources required to acquire non-discount customers.

I think this is a huge reason why every auto dealership in this area that I've dealt with sucks. They can afford to be lazy since all they really do is write up employee and family sales.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:53 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
You can thank the dealers and their advertising collectives for this strategy. With the vast majority of D3 car sales in Metro Detroit having an employee discount attached to them, the easiest way for the dealers to attract business is to attract anyone with an employee plan. Those customers are locked into a price and don't have to be negotiated with. They also are far less likely to shop the competition since the competition isn't going to be able to compete on price. This turns into a zero sum game where the dealers are constantly trying to pull ahead sales by convincing people to trade in their cars/leases earlier than they had planned, which is why they are constantly splashing the employee pricing across their TV, radio and print ads. Their primary competition comes from their own sales. They don't have any desire to put the resources required to acquire non-discount customers.

I think this is a huge reason why every auto dealership in this area that I've dealt with sucks. They can afford to be lazy since all they really do is write up employee and family sales.
I have always had someone who can get me a big 3 employee discount.

Every time I have gone to a dealership no matter the make, they have told me that if I cannot get employee discount somehow and that would make the difference, they will find someone to give me their employee discount. Since our company builds most of the automotive factories, our employees get a disount simlar to the automaker employee discount.

If you cannot get employee pricing, then you must not have friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N__AkJriaN4

Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 PM

171 posts, read 161,814 times
I still have yet to find a really good, fresh Chineese place (and please to not say PF Changs - it is not that good, just expensive, plus it is a chain) .[/quote]

We found the good Chinese place (thanks to our fantastic neighbors from China)-

Trizest 33170 Dequindre Rd Sterling Heights

Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,713,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The traffic Ha. I laugh at your concept of traffic. Compared to LA and Orange County CA, we only have cute little mini traffic jams that last about an hour at most and cover no more than ten miles, typically only one or two miles. And they are short. No jams at 3 am. or 8 p.m. I live downriver anyway, we have almost no traffic to speak of. North is worse, but rarely actually bad. There are occasions, but they can usually be avoided.
LOL. I'll take your OC and raise you SF and Boston.

880 and 80 though the East Bay are not nearly big enough for the volume. 80 Through Berkeley is only 4 lanes each way + car pool in an area of almost 9 million people and anyone going east or north is going through Berkeley.

I live 35 miles from Boston. My train commute takes 80 minutes door to door. A couple weeks ago, I drove because I had an appointment. It took me 3 hours in traffic then another 30 minutes on the subway

Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
. . . and Boston.
Do you still drive with your eyes closed, one hand on the horn and the other waving a middle finger out the window?

I wonder how long it takes to shake off old habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit