U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,811,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you for the other suggestions. I will try some of them (not the sub shops. Not a fan usually). Some of them I do go to, but they are not really under $10 unless you do not get a drink and stiff the server. AS of tomorrow mid-town will be practical for lunch and that will open a whole new list of options I imagine. Most places I have been in midtown are not cheap, but I am sure there are some.
Yea there are better options in Midtown for cheap food. Obviously Wayne State is one of the reasons. As for under $10 with a drink and a tip included, unless your talking about McDonald's, or some other cheap fast food spot. I save my money on drinks by going to the gas station or store or even going to Meijer or something and buying enough to last me a week. Also, how much do you usually tip?

Also, when I'm ordering lunch, I'll get enough to last me a couple days and that usually only cost me less than $15 (for 2 days which is about $7 or $8 a day) but that's because I don't mind eating leftovers so it saves me money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 PM

27,781 posts, read 65,708,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Yea there are better options in Midtown for cheap food. Obviously Wayne State is one of the reasons. As for under $10 with a drink and a tip included, unless your talking about McDonald's, or some other cheap fast food spot. I save my money on drinks by going to the gas station or store or even going to Meijer or something and buying enough to last me a week. Also, how much do you usually tip?
There are places other than fast food below $10. Slices = 2 big slices of pizza and a drink for $6.50. Carnival you can get various lunches (Mexican food) for around $6 - $7. Bucharest Grill - awesome huge shawarma sandwich is about $5.00.

Other places surprise me how expensive they are. For example, a good salad with grilled chicken will cost over $10 in the Ren Cen food court. It is getting hard to stay under $10 anywhere. I got a burger at a food truck yesterday and it was $7.00. Had I gotten fries or a drink it would have been over $10 (plus I threw a dollar in the begging jar because the lady at the counter was funny). Only a few years ago, $8 was an average lunch price for a nice lunch in the City and $4 - $5 was cheapo food. Now is it more like $15 for good meals and pushing $10 for cheap food. However the food and options are much better than they were.

I often do not get a drink either, usually either to save money, or because they do not have unsweetened Iced Tea. Some places charge $3 for a small cup of iced tea and some of them want another $3 for a refill. (Tea costs about 5 cents a glass or less).

Tipping? At sit down restaurants I tip roughly 18%, a little more for exemplary service a little less for less than average service. That is a ballpark since I figure the tip in my head and just round up to make the math easier. At other places - I am not a fan of the begging bowls sitting out on counters. However sometimes, if they are nice I will toss in a dollar or two.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-11-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,477,125 times
Quote:
I got a burger at a food truck yesterday and it was $7.00. Had I gotten fries or a drink it would have been over $10 (plus I threw a dollar in the begging jar because the lady at the counter was funny)/

Haha. We missed each other by a day. I got a burger and fries from the Rolling Stoves truck today.

The cafeteria in the Ally building has decent salads and they are pretty much the cheapest to be found. Cadillac Square Diner has great salads, but they can be $10 or more.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
There are places other than fast food below $10. Slices = 2 big slices of pizza and a drink for $6.50. Carnival you can get various lunches (Mexican food) for around $6 - $7. Bucharest Grill - awesome huge shawarma sandwich is about $5.00.

Other places surprise me how expensive they are. For example, a good salad with grilled chicken will cost over $10 in the Ren Cen food court. It is getting hard to stay under $10 anywhere. I got a burger at a food truck yesterday and it was $7.00. Had I gotten fries or a drink it would have been over $10 (plus I threw a dollar in the begging jar because the lady at the counter was funny). Only a few years ago, $8 was an average lunch price for a nice lunch in the City and $4 - $5 was cheapo food. Now is it more like $15 for good meals and pushing $10 for cheap food. However the food and options are much better than they were.

I often do not get a drink either, usually either to save money, or because they do not have unsweetened Iced Tea. Some places charge $3 for a small cup of iced tea and some of them want another $3 for a refill. (Tea costs about 5 cents a glass or less).

Tipping? At sit down restaurants I tip roughly 18%, a little more for exemplary service a little less for less than average service. That is a ballpark since I figure the tip in my head and just round up to make the math easier. At other places - I am not a fan of the begging bowls sitting out on counters. However sometimes, if they are nice I will toss in a dollar or two.
I was more thinking about the downtown area for $10 meals. The neighborhoods have better prices but I found most downtown prices to be somewhat inflated. I never tried slices before, I'll have to check it out.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 AM

So I went to this place called Basement Burger Bar last night. It's build your own burger/ build your own salad so basically control your own price. You even choose the size of your own burger. I didn't order fries with it so idk how much those are but I ordered a shake and it came out to a around $11. They also deliver through Grub Hub, I would check them out.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM

5,114 posts, read 4,825,309 times
The Basement Burger Bar in downtown Farmington? Been there several lunch hours over the past two or so years. It's a pretty good place for a burger, but not what I'd call a cheap lunch.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The Basement Burger Bar in downtown Farmington? Been there several lunch hours over the past two or so years. It's a pretty good place for a burger, but not what I'd call a cheap lunch.
It's one in downtown Detroit too... it isn't dirt cheap but my burger and oreo shake came out to $11 and some change.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:34 AM

27,781 posts, read 65,708,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Hmm never thought about downtown for cheap eats other than the food trucks, but I'll try to help you out. I was going to include some places you can take the woodward Q Line to but I'm too lazy to put that much time into it. But I do think Midtown has some better prices on food.

Jose's Tacos
Tommy's Detroit Bar & Grill
Steve's Detroit Deli
Gogo's
Lunchtime Global
Orchid Thai
Gourmet Deli
Chubby Duck
Blue Star Cafe
Chickpea in the D
Hot Taco
Cadillac Square Diner
Bangkok Crossing
Bellacino's
Which Which Superior Sandwiches

I tried to get them within walking distance so these are right downtown. Hopefully that keeps you busy for a couple weeks. Let me know if you like any of them. For places a little further than walking (or train) distance try Yelpeats or Grubhub for delivery services. It's supposed to be just like Ubereats.

Started picking through this list (skipping the places I have been and the sandwich shops).

Orchid Thai is pretty decent (Curry Pad Thai with chicken). It was $9.01 before tip - close to the $10 mark after tipping. Reasonably good. Spicy. I got it medium, it was right at my limit and I tend to like hot food, would not order "hot". They need some new furniture, but the place seems more or less clean. Super fast. They must have most of the food pre-cooked. More than enough food, I took some back with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or