U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2017, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Reputation: 32943

Advertisements

Under $10.

Right now I can think of Slices, Carnival, WaWa (or something like that), Lafayette Coney if you do not eat too much and have cash, and Bucharest if you are up for a 2 mile walk.


Other options?

Looking for realistically under $10 for lunch, not a place where you can only get an appetizer, snack or a single burger with no sides or drink. (i.e Shake Shake does not count).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2017, 01:09 PM
 
21 posts, read 17,376 times
Reputation: 33
Bdubs, Golden Fleece, and Five Guys in Greektown.

Those are all on the $10 borderline but close enough in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Reputation: 32943
Quote:
Originally Posted by talpostal View Post
Bdubs, Golden Fleece, and Five Guys in Greektown.

Those are all on the $10 borderline but close enough in my opinion.
I like 5 Guys, but it is a bit of a walk just to get chain food. We have them at home. Still I go there once in a while. Theya re as good or better than the long wait $10 burger at shake shack IMO.

I have never liked BWW. Not that big a fan of wings generally, especially when they cost a lot. But there are better wings around town.

I do not recall eating at Golden Fleece. In Greektown? I rarely go to Greektown for lunch because it i s costly pricey. I eat out too often to pay more than $10 for lunch very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM
 
979 posts, read 1,116,827 times
Reputation: 1099
Some of the people I work with really like going to Rice Bowl in the Millender Center for sit-down or take-out lunch.
Its Asian noodles, rice, and/or Thai food and it decent. Its a bit on the salty side for me, its definitely filling, and I've had better but it works. Its right around $10 but you get a lot of food and definitely enough to have left-overs.

Sometimes we order Bucharest, but we always want to place our order by 10am with hope of getting it anywhere in the lunch hour.

Haven't been to Lunchtime Global but am curious to try it sometime.

There was a place in the lobby of 1001 Woodward that served wraps and had a lot of natural/vegetarian options, can't think of its name haven't been there in a while.

If we feel like going off-site and have a bit more time for lunch we'll sometimes venture over toward Mexicantown. Our favorites over there the Pupusaria and the place in the gas station at Michigan & Livernois. (Las Cazuelas?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 01:14 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Reputation: 2624
Hmm never thought about downtown for cheap eats other than the food trucks, but I'll try to help you out. I was going to include some places you can take the woodward Q Line to but I'm too lazy to put that much time into it. But I do think Midtown has some better prices on food.

Jose's Tacos
Tommy's Detroit Bar & Grill
Steve's Detroit Deli
Gogo's
Lunchtime Global
Orchid Thai
Gourmet Deli
Chubby Duck
Blue Star Cafe
Chickpea in the D
Hot Taco
Cadillac Square Diner
Bangkok Crossing
Bellacino's
Which Which Superior Sandwiches

I tried to get them within walking distance so these are right downtown. Hopefully that keeps you busy for a couple weeks. Let me know if you like any of them. For places a little further than walking (or train) distance try Yelpeats or Grubhub for delivery services. It's supposed to be just like Ubereats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2017, 04:08 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,294,359 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Hmm never thought about downtown for cheap eats other than the food trucks, but I'll try to help you out. I was going to include some places you can take the woodward Q Line to but I'm too lazy to put that much time into it. But I do think Midtown has some better prices on food.

Jose's Tacos
Tommy's Detroit Bar & Grill
Steve's Detroit Deli
Gogo's
Lunchtime Global
Orchid Thai
Gourmet Deli
Chubby Duck
Blue Star Cafe
Chickpea in the D
Hot Taco
Cadillac Square Diner
Bangkok Crossing
Bellacino's
Which Which Superior Sandwiches

I tried to get them within walking distance so these are right downtown. Hopefully that keeps you busy for a couple weeks. Let me know if you like any of them. For places a little further than walking (or train) distance try Yelpeats or Grubhub for delivery services. It's supposed to be just like Ubereats.
This is a very comprehensive list. I would also add:

Athens Souvlaki (Penobscot Building) - Menu and Prices

Mike's Kabob Grille (inside the Chrysler House Bldg) - Menu and Prices

Ham Shop Café (on Monroe & Broadway, 1st floor of parking garage) - Menu and Prices

Big City Grill (above average bar food, inside the Holiday Inn on Washington) - Menu and Prices (pushing the $10 limit

Cottage Inn Pizza on Monroe (they sell large deep dish square pizza slices for $3)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Back in the Mitten. Formerly NC
3,819 posts, read 5,463,750 times
Reputation: 5266
Papa Romano's (they have combos with a drink for the $5-7 range)
Mr. Pita
Any sub shop (Subway, Jimmy Johns, Which Wich)
Bellacinos has a lunch special that is $7.50 with a drink
The cafeteria in the Ally building
Greenwich Time Pub
Woodward Coney Island (if you are brave enough, lol)


Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
There was a place in the lobby of 1001 Woodward that served wraps and had a lot of natural/vegetarian options, can't think of its name haven't been there in a while.
Freshii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 05:56 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 24,774,202 times
Reputation: 7812
Why not jump the Q-Line and head to mid town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Reputation: 32943
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why not jump the Q-Line and head to mid town?
It is not running yet. Tomorrow. However I will let the hoopla die down before I go ride it. I left California in part to get away from waiting in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Reputation: 32943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is not running yet. Tomorrow. However I will let the hoopla die down before I go ride it. I left California in part to get away from waiting in line.
Thank you for the other suggestions. I will try some of them (not the sub shops. Not a fan usually). Some of them I do go to, but they are not really under $10 unless you do not get a drink and stiff the server. AS of tomorrow mid-town will be practical for lunch and that will open a whole new list of options I imagine. Most places I have been in midtown are not cheap, but I am sure there are some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top