Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,224,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBthe3rd View Post
Great info. One of my wife's friends suggested we consider Ann Arbor too. Will definitely give it a close look. All sounds good, it's within my commuting range.
I see you are from Boston. My neighbor 2 doors down moved here 2 years ago from Boston to do his residency at UofM Med school and St Joe hospital. He is sneaking up on finishing. His wife loves the town and wants to stay. He loves the town too but is more willing to go somewhere that will pay his student loans off in exchange for 5 years of practicing. My daughter, who is friends with his wife, tells me she is not at all enamored with those places that dangle that big an incentive to get doctors to come. We will see who wins out in the next 8-12 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 05:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,088,219 times
It will also depend on how far your wife wants (or will need to ) drive for work. It is unlikely any public school is hiring. It will be charters that are looking for experienced low pay teachers.

The northwestern burbs are nice, but so are the Pointes on the northeast side.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:01 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,436,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It will also depend on how far your wife wants (or will need to ) drive for work. It is unlikely any public school is hiring. It will be charters that are looking for experienced low pay teachers.

The northwestern burbs are nice, but so are the Pointes on the northeast side.
That is a good point. I expect you already know Michigan is one of the hardest places to find a teaching job, other than in Detroit or a few other nasty places. Some study or pool or something ranked Michigan in the top 5 places for teachers (as far as being treated well), so when a position opens up they get dozens if not hundreds of applications from all over. My daughter graduated from EMU with a degree in teaching (music) with three layers of honors, magna *** laude or whatever other honros your can graduate with. She had to leave the state to find a job. It helps if your wife has Sp. Ed. certification. There are lots of jobs open in the Detroit schools. No one wants to teach there. She can get into the substitute teacher registry. It is intermittent work and only pays $75 - $100 per day, but it is a way to get an introduction to various schools. My wife did it for a few years and two different schools told her if she would go get a teaching certificate, they would hire her. You call in each day at 5 a.m. and they tell you if and where you will be working that day (or week). At first my wife got only occasional jobs, but after she became known and teachers started asking for her, it was pretty much full time as much as she wanted.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,474,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is a good point. I expect you already know Michigan is one of the hardest places to find a teaching job, other than in Detroit or a few other nasty places. Some study or pool or something ranked Michigan in the top 5 places for teachers (as far as being treated well), so when a position opens up they get dozens if not hundreds of applications from all over. My daughter graduated from EMU with a degree in teaching (music) with three layers of honors, magna *** laude or whatever other honros your can graduate with. She had to leave the state to find a job. It helps if your wife has Sp. Ed. certification. There are lots of jobs open in the Detroit schools. No one wants to teach there. She can get into the substitute teacher registry. It is intermittent work and only pays $75 - $100 per day, but it is a way to get an introduction to various schools. My wife did it for a few years and two different schools told her if she would go get a teaching certificate, they would hire her. You call in each day at 5 a.m. and they tell you if and where you will be working that day (or week). At first my wife got only occasional jobs, but after she became known and teachers started asking for her, it was pretty much full time as much as she wanted.
False. There is currently a teaching shortage in many Michigan districts, including Detroit.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,224,903 times
Quote:
My daughter graduated from EMU with a degree in teaching (music) with three layers of honors, magna *** laude or whatever other honros your can graduate with. She had to leave the state to find a job.
Part of her problem was "music". If she specialized in math or science her chances of landing an instate job would have gone way up.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
False. There is currently a teaching shortage in many Michigan districts, including Detroit.
Applied for any teaching jobs here recently? (Hint: no you have not).

Some political statistic you found on the internet or read about in the newspaper does not reflect the true status of teaching here. As I said there are some terrible districts (especially Detroit) where there are always openings. There are a ton of unfilled openings in Detroit schools and some other larger city districts (Kalamazoo is one I think, Flint is another likely to have lots of openings. Hence someone could claim a teacher shortage. For the most part, no one wants to teach in bad districts. Bad districts are hell to teach in at any grade level. Zero discipline, kids with no interest in learning. Parents whose only concern is blaming the teacher for their kid's problems, if they care at all. Teachers have to address personal safety issues and contagious health issues (particularly lice, but lots of other health exposures you do not find in more affluent areas). Run down facilities with broken HVAC systems (meaning physical discomfort all day). It takes an unusual type of personality to be able to teach in those districts for more than a few years. Many teachers go into such districts with altruistic goals and beliefs, most are quickly disenchanted and leave.

It is unlikely OP's wife is interested in teaching in a district like that. Almost no one is. That is why they have openings. How many unfilled positions do they have in Novi?

Talk to the superintendent of any good school district. You will learn a differnt story. Less so with science openings, but everything else gets flooded with resumes. Not hundreds, like it was four or five years ago, but dozens and up to a hundred in many cases. Some positions are filled before they are even released. They have to go through he review process and interview a few people, but they already know who they are going to hire.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Applied for any teaching jobs here recently? (Hint: no you have not).

Some political statistic you found on the internet or read about in the newspaper does not reflect the true status of teaching here. As I said there are some terrible districts (especially Detroit) where there are always openings. There are a ton of unfilled openings in Detroit schools and some other larger city districts (Kalamazoo is one I think, Flint is another likely to have lots of openings. Hence someone could claim a teacher shortage. For the most part, no one wants to teach in bad districts. Bad districts are hell to teach in at any grade level. Zero discipline, kids with no interest in learning. Parents whose only concern is blaming the teacher for their kid's problems, if they care at all. Teachers have to address personal safety issues and contagious health issues (particularly lice, but lots of other health exposures you do not find in more affluent areas). Run down facilities with broken HVAC systems (meaning physical discomfort all day). It takes an unusual type of personality to be able to teach in those districts for more than a few years. Many teachers go into such districts with altruistic goals and beliefs, most are quickly disenchanted and leave.

It is unlikely OP's wife is interested in teaching in a district like that. Almost no one is. That is why they have openings. How many unfilled positions do they have in Novi?

Talk to the superintendent of any good school district. You will learn a differnt story. Less so with science openings, but everything else gets flooded with resumes. Not hundreds, like it was four or five years ago, but dozens and up to a hundred in many cases. Some positions are filled before they are even released. They have to go through he review process and interview a few people, but they already know who they are going to hire.
So like I said, your claim that Michigan is one of the hardest places to find a teaching job is false.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM

[quote=Arthur Digby Sellers;48122970]So like I said, your claim that Michigan is one of the hardest places to find a teaching job is false.[/QUOTE

Sorry, but you are just wrong. Ask a teacher who has searched for a job nationally.

If you disagree, what basis? What states do you think are harder for a teacher to find jobs (hint - there are four).

Yes, it may be necessary to qualify the Michigan is one of the hardest states for a teacher to find a job that anyone actually wants. However that is simply playing games. OP's wife is not going to be interested in a horrid job that no one wants.

Every state has openings in horrid school districts with terrible conditions for teachers they cannot fill. Few teachers are willing to risk their safety for a job where they cannot accomplish anything, may or may not get paid and work in awful conditions. IN fact, many teachers leave the state or go to low paying private school jobs, or substitute teach, rather than take a job in Detroit or similarly awful positions. For reasonable teaching jobs, Michigan is one of the five most difficult to land a job. For reasonable teaching positions, they get dozens to a hundred or more applicants for each position. Those are the facts.
You can play games if you want, but at most, you will only confuse or mislead the OP which is not the purpose of CD.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:39 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,135,544 times
Why commute an hour to downtown? 25-minute commutes or less from good, safe communities with good schools and walkable town centers include the Grosse Pointes in Wayne County, and Berkley & Clawson in Oakland County. Grosse Pointe houses are large and older, but houses in Berkley and Clawson are generally smaller and older.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM

[quote=Coldjensens;48124120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
So like I said, your claim that Michigan is one of the hardest places to find a teaching job is false.[/QUOTE

Sorry, but you are just wrong. Ask a teacher who has searched for a job nationally.

If you disagree, what basis? What states do you think are harder for a teacher to find jobs (hint - there are four).

Yes, it may be necessary to qualify the Michigan is one of the hardest states for a teacher to find a job that anyone actually wants. However that is simply playing games. OP's wife is not going to be interested in a horrid job that no one wants.

Every state has openings in horrid school districts with terrible conditions for teachers they cannot fill. Few teachers are willing to risk their safety for a job where they cannot accomplish anything, may or may not get paid and work in awful conditions. IN fact, many teachers leave the state or go to low paying private school jobs, or substitute teach, rather than take a job in Detroit or similarly awful positions. For reasonable teaching jobs, Michigan is one of the five most difficult to land a job. For reasonable teaching positions, they get dozens to a hundred or more applicants for each position. Those are the facts.
You can play games if you want, but at most, you will only confuse or mislead the OP which is not the purpose of CD.
I know a lot of teachers. Finding a job in Metro Detroit is not an issue as there are fewer new college grads coming out of new teaching programs. This is a fact. I'm sorry your daughter can't find a job, but her inability to find employment does not suddenly make Michigan "one of the five hardest states to find a job." Like someone else said, it's likely because she majored in music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit