Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 9,885 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My family is likely moving to Michigan this summer because of a job for me in Detroit. My wife's an elementary school teacher. My kids are ages 3 and 6. The eldest is completing his kindergarten year and looking forward to first-grade.

We want to live in a 'burb. Cities are fine, but we've lived in the thick of cities in three major metro areas. We just want space that's quieter, less hectic, more spread out, bigger yards, etc.

We won't be buying a home right away. A big loss on a recent home sale is forcing us to lick our wounds for about six months. So we'll rent first. But when we're ready to buy, our budget will be pretty broad $300K - $400K, depending on whether we find a move-in ready place or one that needs work.

Any recommendations for a safe, nice, pleasant suburb - some place that maybe has a walkable town center, park, etc? A place where my wife or my elderly mom or mother-in-law could feel safe taking a stroll with the 3-year-old? A place w/ good schools?

Also, for what it's worth, mine is a multiracial family, so a tolerant place? I'm willing to drive up to an hour to commute to work, but ideally we'd find a community a little closer to the city than that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,930,729 times
Renting first is not a bad option to get a feel for the various areas before getting into a longer term commitment.

Are you working in the City of Detroit or when you say "Detroit" do you mean one of the suburbs, because that factors into what areas to target?

Also does your wife have a job lined-up or will be searching?
The location prospects heavily factors if you are looking northern suburbs versus western suburbs.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:55 AM

I will be working in the City of Detroit, close to downtown. Also, my wife doesn't have a job lined up yet, but she's checking requirements to transfer her teaching license, and in her perfect world she would apply for a position in whatever district/community we live(d) in.

We're definitely going to rent first. Even if we were squared away from our recent losing home sale, we've made the mistake in the past of moving to a new metro area and buying too soon. We want to go a bit slower and make sure we love where we are before we pull the purchase trigger again.

And yes, we mean a suburb. We've lived in the heart of three big cities in three different states, and the whole hipster urban thing was more fun for us before we had kids. But frankly, now that I'm 40-plus, I want peace, quiet, etc. She wants a great school district and maybe a town with a walkable tiny town center. I want parks to walk our dog, decent community little league for my 6-year-old, a 'burb where my frequently visiting mother and mother-in-law can take my 3-year-old for a walk w/ out fear for their safety. And that last bit isn't a knock on Detroit. I'd want the same no matter what major metro area we were moving too.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,607,202 times
W can narrow it down to about a dozen on that. Do you have a preference to the style of home/type of town? DO you want new subdivision living or homey neighborhoods? Do you prefer quaint little town with limited options, or every chain restruaunt and store known to man? Do you want ruralesque? Water? Forests?

Some of the better communities do not have much int he way of rentals, especially apartments. Bigger places have most of those. there are some, but the options are not as wide. When you go to buy, you will have more and netter choices.

Since you are new to the area, I would suggest getting smthing close in to the city. Your best option there is going to be Grosse Pointe. If you find an affordable rental, you will likely love it there and the short commute will help ease the tstrain moviing puts on your marriage/family.

Royal oak might be fun for your family and with the kids being so little, the areas in which other locations are preferred for families will not likey impact you. the zoo is in royal oak so you can get a yearly membership and go every day.

Wyandotte, is a pretty neat community too. Lots of Rentals Schools ar enot great, but it does nto matter at that age. they are not terrible schools, just not what most people would choose long term. Neat place to rent for while though. It has a nice little downtown right on the water.

Grosse Ile is unbelievably great for families, but: it is expensive; somewhat secluded; not super close to downtown (35 minuntes in an hour home); and you really need to like water, and nature. It is not a happening place. Just incredibly pleasant

As you get further out, more options pop up. Up to an hour out - Northville, Plymouth, Farmington, Milford, Franklin, Rochester, Saline, Romeo - all fit your description of what you want. Even Ann Arbor might appeal to you.

Novi is nice newer subdivisions and mall/chain store heaven. Canton is similar but smaller. Rochester hills is upscale subdivision living with strip malls all over and Rochester City (cute downtown) not too far away. These places have nice walking inside subdivisions and also some small parks.

Back downtirver, trenton is reasonably nice little town and has a really nice county park.

that is a decent starter list.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
W can narrow it down to about a dozen on that. Do you have a preference to the style of home/type of town? DO you want new subdivision living or homey neighborhoods? Do you prefer quaint little town with limited options, or every chain restruaunt and store known to man? Do you want ruralesque? Water? Forests?

Some of the better communities do not have much int he way of rentals, especially apartments. Bigger places have most of those. there are some, but the options are not as wide. When you go to buy, you will have more and netter choices.

Since you are new to the area, I would suggest getting smthing close in to the city. Your best option there is going to be Grosse Pointe. If you find an affordable rental, you will likely love it there and the short commute will help ease the tstrain moviing puts on your marriage/family.

Royal oak might be fun for your family and with the kids being so little, the areas in which other locations are preferred for families will not likey impact you. the zoo is in royal oak so you can get a yearly membership and go every day.

Wyandotte, is a pretty neat community too. Lots of Rentals Schools ar enot great, but it does nto matter at that age. they are not terrible schools, just not what most people would choose long term. Neat place to rent for while though. It has a nice little downtown right on the water.

Grosse Ile is unbelievably great for families, but: it is expensive; somewhat secluded; not super close to downtown (35 minuntes in an hour home); and you really need to like water, and nature. It is not a happening place. Just incredibly pleasant

As you get further out, more options pop up. Up to an hour out - Northville, Plymouth, Farmington, Milford, Franklin, Rochester, Saline, Romeo - all fit your description of what you want. Even Ann Arbor might appeal to you.

Novi is nice newer subdivisions and mall/chain store heaven. Canton is similar but smaller. Rochester hills is upscale subdivision living with strip malls all over and Rochester City (cute downtown) not too far away. These places have nice walking inside subdivisions and also some small parks.

Back downtirver, trenton is reasonably nice little town and has a really nice county park.

that is a decent starter list.
Wow! Thorough list. Thank you!

As for home type, we're a divided household. I'd be happy with a newer subdivision, at least when we're ready to purchase in six months or so. And I know my wife would accept a newer subdivision if that's ultimately where we'd get the most bang for our buck. But in her perfect world we'd get an older home with what she calls "character," or as I call it, a set of phantom characteristics defined by little more than age and crown molding. I just want a garage, basement, decent-sized fenced yard for the kids and dog, and I'm happy.

I'm most interested in safety - in wife and kids and dog being able to stroll the community when I'm away for work. Grosse Ile sounds intriguing for the nature and water access. My whole family loves being outdoors, hiking, nature walks, etc.

On the other hand, with kids our age, access to some of the less aesthetic but really, really convenient things like chain stores or strip malls is a little appealing.

Curious to know what you mean by expensive. For our rental period, we're willing to pay up to $3K per month for a decent home in a decent community. And when we're ready to purchase, our budget will be between $300K and $400K, depending on how much work the house needs. We might be able to push it to $425K.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:08 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,484,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBthe3rd View Post
Wow! Thorough list. Thank you!

As for home type, we're a divided household. I'd be happy with a newer subdivision, at least when we're ready to purchase in six months or so. And I know my wife would accept a newer subdivision if that's ultimately where we'd get the most bang for our buck. But in her perfect world we'd get an older home with what she calls "character," or as I call it, a set of phantom characteristics defined by little more than age and crown molding. I just want a garage, basement, decent-sized fenced yard for the kids and dog, and I'm happy.

I'm most interested in safety - in wife and kids and dog being able to stroll the community when I'm away for work. Grosse Ile sounds intriguing for the nature and water access. My whole family loves being outdoors, hiking, nature walks, etc.

On the other hand, with kids our age, access to some of the less aesthetic but really, really convenient things like chain stores or strip malls is a little appealing.

Curious to know what you mean by expensive. For our rental period, we're willing to pay up to $3K per month for a decent home in a decent community. And when we're ready to purchase, our budget will be between $300K and $400K, depending on how much work the house needs. We might be able to push it to $425K.
What size house do you want/need? Dollar per square foot varies considerably between communities.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
What size house do you want/need? Dollar per square foot varies considerably between communities.
3+BR, 2 bath - 1,700 - 2,200 sq. ft., if it has a finished basement or useable, insulated attic.

And even if it doesn't have a useable attic or finished basement, that's not a deal breaker. I can do the finish work on a basement myself.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:40 PM

8,395 posts, read 7,361,953 times
Check out this recent thread.

I personally think it's one of the better threads started on the Metro Detroit forum this year for people looking for a place to live.

Just ignore some of the jousting that took place.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,484,223 times
Given your preference for classic 'burbs, I would check out Livonia, Plymouth, Northville and Novi. All would be within an hour of downtown Detroit, though Northville and Novi would be pushing a full hour.

You'll get more bang for your buck in Livonia, but the housing market is extremely hot there right now. New listings are sold within a day or two -- sometimes within a few hours.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,849,130 times
The city of Farmington might be appealing to your family. My four kids truly have appreciated the diversity of the student population, and they all have had very positive school experiences. The youngest graduated last year. Some schools have closed in recent years due to an aging population; the school district had expanded greatly as the baby boomers came through. There is a really nice little downtown area which is expanding and adding amenities, beautiful parks and many programs for children and adults. Summer camps for the kids, too.

Welcome to Michigan! You're gonna love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit