U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 AM

5,785 posts, read 9,347,958 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a specific brand of Tomato Sauce that can be purchased to make Detroit Style Pizza?

I have been making it for over a year now thanks to a article I found online. Even bought the authentic pan to bake it in. I've got the crust down but can't seem to find a sauce in a store that replicates the same flavor as you'd find at a shop like Jets or similar.

Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
I found two articles on line that include recipes of the pizza sauce

https://www.bustle.com/articles/5347...e-from-scratch

https://feastingwithfriendsblog.com/...t-style-pizza/

Buddy's Cheese Pizza Recipe | Cooking Channel

I have been thinking about making Detroit Style Pizza myself. Can you answer the following questions.

-Which authentic pan did you buy (brand or manufacturer)? What was the cost?

-How do you make the crust? Any special tips or tricks or ingredients?

-What kind of cheese do you use? Do you use that brick cheese or regular mozzarella?

Thanks

Old 05-12-2017, 05:38 AM

The following link has a recipe for the crust. This one is right on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recip...=.ab8f64ce65bc

It does have a recipe for the sauce but it does not specify a particular brand of sauce. Since tomato sauces will vary from brand to brand I've had a tough time finding something that is close to tasting like the real thing. I tried 6 and 1 along with some others and that one seems pretty close. But not sure if it is the one that most of the restaurants use.

This is the pan I bought. Make sure you season it well if you buy one that is unseasoned. Never wash it with soap. Just use a rag or paper towels to clean it out after use or plain water.

https://www.amazon.com/10-14-Authent.../dp/B06XFKF4G8

I don't know where to find WI Brick Cheese where I am. I read that Havarti is a close cousin to it. So, I have used 8 oz. mozzarella and 4 oz. of Havarti when I make it. Sometimes I just use Moz if I don't have the time to pick up Havarti.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 AM

More time to respond now.

I use a Break Maker for the crust. The recipe I use is the one in the Washington Post article. For proofing I usually preheat the oven for a while and then put the pan on top of it to help speed up the proofing process. Be sure to put something metal under the pan if the burners are hot (sometimes the insulation from the heat in the oven doesn't keep the top of the oven very cool)to prevent the dough from actually starting to bake before you put it into the oven. Use plastic spatulas to remove the pizza once it is baked. Also, check the Pizza about half way through baking to see if you need to rotate the pan to avoid burning one or more sides.

Question about Brick Cheese. Can you tell me what brands are carried in stores up there? I may be able to find it at Meijer in the Cincinnati area where I presently live if I know what to look for. I asked someone about it in a store one time and they didn't know what I was talking about. Probably an upper Midwest cheese with little appeal in the lower Midwest.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Looks like the first link posted by usroute10 mentions the kind of sauce to purchase to make the most authentic Detroit Style Pizza sauce. Turns out 6 in 1 is very close to Tomato Magic by Stanislaus with Tomato Magic being just a little more acidic. Good to know. Clearly the sauce recipe's differ from each pizza and I will have to try each one to determine which one is best for my taste buds.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:56 PM

Looks like you can find Brick Cheese in the Detroit area. The following lists where you can find Widmer's Brick Cheese. Reviews on it are excellent. It does seem to be an essential part of authentic Detroit Style Pizza.

Where to buy Widmer's Cheese

Old 05-20-2017, 01:18 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Looks like you can find Brick Cheese in the Detroit area. The following lists where you can find Widmer's Brick Cheese. Reviews on it are excellent. It does seem to be an essential part of authentic Detroit Style Pizza.

Where to buy Widmer's Cheese
Thanks for the above link!

Old 05-20-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Thanks for the above link!
You bet. Now I am going to see if I can find it in the Cincinnati area. Checked a Meijer store and Kroger in Indy and they don't carry it. May try one of the specialty stores listed in the Widmer's site to see if they carry it. My guess is only select cheeses and not all Widmer cheeses will be available.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Two more tips. First, I use more Olive Oil in the pan than is recommended. I use at least a Tablespoon vs. two teaspoons. Also, make sure you put Olive Oil on the sides of the pan at least half way up to insure the dough won't stick during cooking. By using more Olive Oil at least for the first few times that you bake, the pan seasons better and will keep the dough from sticking. I ran into that problem for the first few times I did this until I started to use more Olive Oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or