U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 AM

2,105 posts, read 1,349,813 times

Advertisements

Personally I reject the term "bandwagon fan" and use "intelligent consumer" instead. Only in sports does supporting a bad product somehow become a badge of honor.
If you keep going to a bad restaurant, auto mechanic, doctor, dentist, CPA, etc over and over, people would think you were nuts. Sports isn't any different. Sports is entertainment that costs time and money. If you are entertained by a bad product you shouldn't be proud of it, you should get help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,817,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Personally I reject the term "bandwagon fan" and use "intelligent consumer" instead. Only in sports does supporting a bad product somehow become a badge of honor.
If you keep going to a bad restaurant, auto mechanic, doctor, dentist, CPA, etc over and over, people would think you were nuts. Sports isn't any different. Sports is entertainment that costs time and money. If you are entertained by a bad product you shouldn't be proud of it, you should get help.
I agree 100%. I canceled my Lions season tickets after 2007 and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I refuse to spend a dime on another Lions ticket until they show some actual leadership...so I'll never be buying another ticket again.

What I was referring to would be more accurately described as "scenester" fans. These are the the attendees (they're not really fans) who go to the game only because it's the hot ticket in town -- usually bros with extremely drunk women who are decked out fashionably in a Tigers t-shirt taking selfies and paying zero attention whatsoever to the game. These same "fans" were at Pistons games in 2006 when that was the place to be seen, but can now be seen at Comerica Park on any given Friday or Saturday night.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Quote:
I think the definition of a bad product can vary. Not everyone can be in first place. I think it is not as much about winning, as about trying and being professional/Chivalrous. Sports players are the knights of today. Who wants to be from the Barony rooting for the evil green knight? Sure you can cheer if you win and rub the other people's faces in it, but you are still the bad guys. I would rather watch a team that loses with grace and dignity and is respectful than a bunch of crybaby primdonnas who roll around n the floor if someone steps on their toe, or flips off the crowd if someone hurts their little fweelings - win or lose.

This is what made me disgusted with the Pistons and later the Lions. Do you really want to root for the dirtiest cheating b'tards in the league? The crybabies and nasty players who hate the fans?

Hockey is somewhat different as I perceive it. Fighting is part of the game, so that does not necessarily make a hockey team bad - cheating does. Fighting dirty also.

However if your baseball teams runs out and assaults the other pitcher or catcher, who wants to associate themselves with that? Already fans complain when their own team walks all the really good batters just to try to improve their odds. I think fans want to see people play the game and win though superior athleticism, strategy, psychology or whatever, not cheat to win, take short cuts, or just don't really play so they cannot lose. Who wants to watch a soccer team that just kicks the ball around to kill time until the last second when they can score? Sure they won, but it was a stupid win and unleasant to watch - play the game, if you lose, you lose. Do it with class. When am I most proud to be associated with a particular team? Not when they win as much as when they do something heroic - help an injured opponent to the bench, let a goal go to avoid an injury. Cheer when an opponant does something really spectacular. That is what I want to see more than wins. Maybe I am naively optimistic, I am not much of a sports fan,

I want to come out of a game feeling proud to be represented by the team. Either because they demonstrated superior athleticism and strategy, or because they showed such class and poise. I want people to say "Those tigers sure are a class act, you are lucky to be from there" More than to have them win a pennant one year (and the not again for who knows how many years).

I do nto know what are the classiest teams in any sport at this time, but I do know the Pistons and Lions were at the bottom of that list for a while. Hopefully they have improved.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-15-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 AM

292 posts, read 204,478 times
When you get old like you all lots of stuff is not interesting anymore, thats called getting old you get your entertainment from the six of you sitting around pontificating on a anonymous thread. Do you guys have any interest in getting out meeting each other for lunch sometimes, like the real world does?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:53 AM

2,105 posts, read 1,349,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
When you get old like you all lots of stuff is not interesting anymore, thats called getting old you get your entertainment from the six of you sitting around pontificating on a anonymous thread. Do you guys have any interest in getting out meeting each other for lunch sometimes, like the real world does?

I'm not sure what your point is or if you have one. You know nothing about any of us or what we do in our personal lives.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 PM

439 posts, read 671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Where did you hear that? If that's the case, they are going to lose a A LOT of attendance considering how expensive tickets were at last year for a lousy team. You couldn't get a lower bowl ticket in the Joe for less than $100, FFS. When they were in serious contention every year for the Cup and signing Hall of Famers every offseason, the high prices made sense. They make no sense for a basement dwelling team during the salary cap era.
The company I work for just renewed their season tickets. The price is double in the bottom rows, about $275 per seat per game.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:09 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,294,359 times
Quote:
There is something to be a said about a person who sticks with their team, supports their team, and follows their team, through the good and bad times. To hop on the bandwagon only when the team is popular does not show you are a genuine fan-ATIC of that team.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would agree with all of your Statements although I know three pistons fans. Lions fans I do not encounter often, but they are pretty rabid fans. Tigers and Wings have a lot more fans when they are doing well than they do die hard fans who support them even when they are terrible. Depends on the circle, but Tigers and Wings may well be tied.

Pistons got a lot of hate because the players were such A holes, just despicable people for a time. I do not know whether they found some players with some class, or it is still the same awful primadonnas.

I am not a big sports fan, but I find basketball intolerable. Why cant they just give each side 90 points, put 15 minutes on the clock and end up in the same situation you get to after an hour or so anyway?
Lol it's because you end up with very very different results for many reasons. What you described would just be a pick up game, professional basketball is much more like chess. For one, they have to sell a show. Nobody wants to only see the Climax of a movie do they? There wouldn't be no Michael Jordan's or Kobe Bryant's. For example, Michael Jordan 1986 playoffs against the Boston Celtics (I wasn't even alive then but I watched the whole game on Youtube) Jordan came off of a broken foot just weeks earlier and scored 63 points against the BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD at the time, and throughout the game Boston tried everything to stop Jordan, Hall of famer legend Larry Bird said "that's God disguised as Michael Jordan" and this was only MJ's second year in the NBA. And even though MJ scored 63 points (playoff record) against them, the bulls still lost that game. Now who would only want to see 15 minutes of that? The highlights on that game alone are about a half hour lol. Moments like that wouldn't have happened.

And then you have fatigue that sets in, if you play full court basketball for even 1 quarter it will wear you out quite a bit. That's why you see some teams or players start out hot and then go cold after a while. Or you have teams (like the Pistons) who could be getting nearly blown out for 3 quarters and then come back and pull out a win or play good for a while and then start playing terrible and end up not closing the game out (another Pistons favorite ). And then some players and teams need time to warm up. 15 minutes isn't nearly enough time for players to figure their opponents out, give coaches time to adjust, see when to rest players, see if certain plays will work, see if different defenders will work on different players, change offensive or defensive strategy I mean I could go all day on the amount of factors that plays into the length of the game. And then the bench players have to get playtime as well. And the team that has a better bench is many times the team that wins. But yea don't let the high scores in the end fool you, it's alot of things that make a difference in a basketball game, I actually like that because it's alot less "luck" and alot more skill, preparation, determination, execution, ect.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:48 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Nobody wants to only see the Climax of a movie do they?
If the movie is just two teams taking turns doing the same thing over and over again and tossing a ball into a basket each in turn until they get to about 90 or so points each after an hour and then they actually start playing. I admit not watching a lot of games, but every one I have seen nothing really happens until the end. Unless you count some big guys acting like babies rolling around on the floor and pretending to be hurt.

The most exciting thing I have seen at a pistons game was a drunk rock star who would not sit down flipping off the crowd when he was asked to sit down so they could see and exclaiming "Shut the F up. I am *** ****!" and later trying to grab the cheerleader's bottoms as they came out into the seats on the floor.

When I have actually gone to basketball games I have had great seats either on the floor (Pistons) or in a box (LA) because the person who invited me was a big time fan and spent a lot for the great seats. The money was wasted on me. Half an hour into the game I wished I had brought a Soduku puzzle and ended up just settling for people watching. I just do not understand why some sports are considered entertaining to watch. (tennis and basketball, golf, some others I am not thinking of). Maybe I just do not know eough about them, but I find even curling more exciting.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If the movie is just two teams taking turns doing the same thing over and over again and tossing a ball into a basket each in turn until they get to about 90 or so points each after an hour and then they actually start playing. I admit not watching a lot of games, but every one I have seen nothing really happens until the end. Unless you count some big guys acting like babies rolling around on the floor and pretending to be hurt.

The most exciting thing I have seen at a pistons game was a drunk rock star who would not sit down flipping off the crowd when he was asked to sit down so they could see and exclaiming "Shut the F up. I am *** ****!" and later trying to grab the cheerleader's bottoms as they came out into the seats on the floor.

When I have actually gone to basketball games I have had great seats either on the floor (Pistons) or in a box (LA) because the person who invited me was a big time fan and spent a lot for the great seats. The money was wasted on me. Half an hour into the game I wished I had brought a Soduku puzzle and ended up just settling for people watching. I just do not understand why some sports are considered entertaining to watch. (tennis and basketball, golf, some others I am not thinking of). Maybe I just do not know eough about them, but I find even curling more exciting.
Good teams don't only play good in the 4th quarter, but the Pistons have been notorious for this. And if the 2 teams are taking turns putting the ball into the basket... both teams have terrible defense. And if you were watching the Pistons, I can totally see that happening. That's also why I can't stand to watch All Star games anymore, they don't play defense at all. It's a fu*king shoot around.

And as far as grown ass men falling on the floor off of a soft foul (like 250 pound Leflop James) that's what we call flopping, It's something that was rarely done until the last 10 years. After the Pistons fight at the Palace, the NBA started cracking down on any type of fouls so now the game is just soft. It doesn't matter though, because only the superteams have a chance at winning the championship anyway. Every other star player that's not on a superteam is just stat padding because they know they don't have a chance against 3 or 4 other superstars. I admit the NBA isn't nearly as exciting as it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or