U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:07 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,296,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Many people are not interested in over the top coaster rides, especially with massively long lines.

It i s not a terrible idea. A really local theme park might do ok even if it does not compare to C.P. In fact is would be better if it didn't try to compete with CP, it would just be more of the same. It might be better to have something was more kid/family oriented. Something grandpa and the grand-kids could enjoy together. Not everyone wants to or can stand in line for two hours to ride a 600 foot drop.

Where could it go?

Del Rey is basically empty, the park could go there. Maybe they could restore the rest of the fort and incorporate it. A Historical themed park might be fun. Tie it to hte military history of the fort and have an area for Civil war era, ww I and WW II. You could have an early era (1812) too, but the fort was builtbut never used then, plus everything from that era has been replaced or remodeled. Still it would be a start. They could incorporate other elements of the area into the theme park as well. Maybe a splash log ride into the settling ponds? How about a zip line form the tower of the new bridge over the river and back into the park?

Boblo was pretty neat and a nice alternative to C.P. Yes, it was not as dramatic, but far more pleasant. Boblo is all built our, but there are still some sizable empty islands. Bring back Sugar Island?

In Ann Arbor, they could incorporate the canoe shoot down the side of the dam as a signature ride.

Erie metro park already has a wave pool. they ocould expend the watermark concept and make use of the lakefront/beach area. They would need to keep part of the area natural, but a lot of it is cleared, sodded and underutilized. A carefully planned water park with areas of wetlands preserved (and maybe some neat floating trails or zip lines to explore and view the wetlands would be fun and educational. Lots of bald eagles camp out there.

It would be difficult, but possible to build up belle Isle as a theme park of sorts without ruining the natural beauty. At least they could put in a little steam-powered train, maybe a dock for steamship tours. The DBC could offer shell rides or quick leaning, try it in a shallow area. Peddle boats or electric boats shaped like the old Detroit River racing boats for the ponds? (or bumper boats, I love bumper boats). Crawfish races. An area where adults can drive real restored model As?

They could take one of the old steel mills and turn it into a place where you can try operating heavy machinery. I have always wanted to go to one of those parks. What is left of McClouth, would make an awesome paintball theme park or maybe a drone wars park?

This would only serve to entertain people who live here and provide a close in benefit to being here. It would not draw people from outside unless it was really huge and did try to compete with CP.

We just need someone to win the lottery and have an Extra $100,000,000 they can put at risk.
Nice ideas! And more geared toward increasing the number of things to do in the region, thus improving the quality of the life of the region and making it more attractive for potential businesses and residents. We need to leverage all the assets we have to make this region more attractive. Our stagnation is reflected in the zero-growth in metro population since 1970 and our losing 2 congressmen the last 2 census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 AM

2,035 posts, read 2,095,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouristExplorer281 View Post
Does the city have a promising future ahead? The city has been through some very difficult times And still are to this day. Has the economy gotten any better in recent years? I hope the city recovers with their car companies And all. The housing markets too yes some of the houses still don't look in the best condition very sad. It seems like the city had has just not had enough money the water issue in flint was terrible as well I hope that problem has been fixed already. Flint isn't Detroit but just think the state itself is due for a rebound in the coming years. I think a big mall and entertainment complex would work in the greater Detroit area. Something similar to mall of america in Bloomington, MN? Indoor theme park/water park. Detroit probably may never get this but the city could use something to boost it's economy for the future. The zombie land proposed park themed to the walking dead was supposed to become a big hit I read online somewhere supposedly bringing in a lot of jobs but failed.
All valid points you address there. I'd also like to see more tourist attractions in Detroit. For example, guided bus tours along all the Art Deco style buildings after fixing up all the beautiful buildings that have fallen in disrepair.

I'd also like to see all the beautiful industrial buildings and industrial era mansions getting renovated and opened up for the general public. For example, the Packard Plant and Boblo Island boat terminal could be turned into musea about industrialization and de-industrialization.

And theme parks about industrialization and de-industrialization would be great too. For example a roller coaster through an urban decay setting would really be something innovative. And there is plenty of inspiration for a haunted mansion as well.

There is no doubt Detroit is majorly improving at the moment, I just like to see a few more things being done to make it more attractive for tourists.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,464,071 times
Detroit does NOT need a rust belt themed amusement park! Stop already with your Detroit urban decay fetish!!! Detroit has moved on, you should too!

Old 05-25-2017, 08:45 PM

1,560 posts, read 538,863 times
Population may get bumped with refugees from droughts and flooded coasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or