U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:56 AM

979 posts, read 1,116,827 times

Advertisements

As said above, renting for a year may be a viable option before getting into a longer-term financial commitment, particular if there is some variability in the job location and also unfamiliarity with the area.

What I've found with either myself, my wife, or other people I know who split work time at multiple locations is you tend to spend more time in one location versus the other. Also, when you have to go to other locations there tends to be a bit more flexibility in terms of start/end times or the ability to flex your schedule to avoid peak rush hour when going to/from the more distant location.

Example I know people who live in Rochester Hills but split time between Auburn Hills and Livonia. On the days they go to Livonia, they usually are there from about 9-3 versus their days in Auburn Hills which are more like 8-5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Canton to Auburn Hills is roughly a hour drive with no traffic. But if he is going to be in Canton alot more his first year then it would be a good idea to rent first near canton. After that I would look at some of the communities along the 696 corridor between 275 and I-75 and Geo Aggie seems like he has you pretty covered with that area and those would be the best options for the commute imo.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 6,086 times
So I recently happened to meet a couple who were visiting my city as tourists who live in the Detroit suburbs. We only had a brief conversation but they urged me not to live in the Farmington/ Farmington Hills area, saying they used to live there & "things are changing, people are moving out of there." Anyone have any guesses as to what they were talking about? Crime? Schools in decline? I wish they had been more specific & it's piqued my curiosity.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:35 PM

979 posts, read 1,116,827 times
People who say Farmington / Farmington Hills is in "decline" says more about their myopic view of the world.
What that typically represents is the overt racism/fear of other cultures/small-mindedness that permeates many people of Metro Detroit. That or that people think its in decline since its not the new/flashy suburb that it was in the 1980'/1990s. I'm sure in the 2020s people will say Novi is in decline, and by 2040, Lyon Township will be in decline.

The reality is there is low crime, nothing better or worse than any other of the suburbs surrounding Metro Detroit. You will be perfectly safe there, like most anywhere else that you consider.

The only issue with the school system has been the declining enrollments that has lead to some closing and consolidating of schools. This has happened in many school districts over the past 20-30 years in Metro Detroit as older suburbs have matured and have a broader age-range of residents, smaller family size, delayed marriage/having babies, etc. People forget that even the "much sought-after" Birmingham School District went through a big round of school consolidation and closures in the mid/late 90's.

Anyone who makes small minded comments like "things are changing" is irrational code-speak that they maybe saw someone that didn't look like them in their community and it "scared" them. They need to get out of the 1950s. That being said, it seems like Metro Detroit is one of the few places in the country that has this irrational fear, I don't hear people in other citites talk like this, its frankly weird and just shows how backwards and close-minded many of the people who've never left the region think.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:24 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,073,411 times
There are a lot more folks from India, as well as more AA residents. Disgusted with people who fear that the community is no longer as white as it used to be, and I'm pretty sure that is what they meant. Some people are terrified of change. I knew a prejudiced woman who moved her family to a huge, new build in Novi. She had told me of her concerns, some 13 years ago! She grew up in Okemos (a very white suburb of Lansing) and was scared. I haven't noticed a lot of people moving, though. Fortunately, I don't presently find myself surrounded by any neighbors who feel this way.

Last edited by mgkeith; 06-07-2017 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 07:25 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Sadly, I think the two above are correct There is nothing wrong with Farmington Hills and Famington City has seen pretty continual improvement in the past five or ten years, Farmington Hills is very nicely located for access to lots of cool stuff

Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM

9 posts, read 6,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
People who say Farmington / Farmington Hills is in "decline" says more about their myopic view of the world.
What that typically represents is the overt racism/fear of other cultures/small-mindedness that permeates many people of Metro Detroit."

"That being said, it seems like Metro Detroit is one of the few places in the country that has this irrational fear, I don't hear people in other citites talk like this, its frankly weird and just shows how backwards and close-minded many of the people who've never left the region think.

Thank you, that is the vibe we got as well but wanted others' input. We've even noticed it on this forum on many threads! Are there racial reconciliation groups we can plug into?

Thank you all again for your perspectives. We'll be in the D very soon to find a rental

Old 06-08-2017, 12:20 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,294,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
What that typically represents is the overt racism/fear of other cultures/small-mindedness that permeates many people of Metro Detroit. That or that people think its in decline since its not the new/flashy suburb that it was in the 1980'/1990s. I'm sure in the 2020s people will say Novi is in decline, and by 2040, Lyon Township will be in decline.

The reality is there is low crime, nothing better or worse than any other of the suburbs surrounding Metro Detroit. You will be perfectly safe there, like most anywhere else that you consider.

The only issue with the school system has been the declining enrollments that has lead to some closing and consolidating of schools. This has happened in many school districts over the past 20-30 years in Metro Detroit as older suburbs have matured and have a broader age-range of residents, smaller family size, delayed marriage/having babies, etc. People forget that even the "much sought-after" Birmingham School District went through a big round of school consolidation and closures in the mid/late 90's.

Anyone who makes small minded comments like "things are changing" is irrational code-speak that they maybe saw someone that didn't look like them in their community and it "scared" them. They need to get out of the 1950s. That being said, it seems like Metro Detroit is one of the few places in the country that has this irrational fear, I don't hear people in other citites talk like this, its frankly weird and just shows how backwards and close-minded many of the people who've never left the region think.
Even the ultra-rich, elite Bloomfield Hills school district consolidated. There used to be two high schools - Bloomfield Hills Andover and Bloomfield Hills Lahser - and the district closed one of those high schools a few years ago. Now is Bloomfield Hills in decline?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:21 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Yeah you should check the communities out for yourself. People who say the Farmington Hills area is in decline has likely never actually lived in a community that's in real decline, they just don't know any better.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:45 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMIBeachBum View Post
T Are there racial reconciliation groups we can plug into?
There are. The one I know best is called "New Detroit"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or