U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 PM
 
4,599 posts, read 4,486,379 times
Reputation: 2498
I'm in Springfield Mass and it was sort of tucked away but MGM has said or at least implied that MGM Springfield is inspired by MGM Detroit.

This is going to be the first "real" casino in Mass and the nearest ones would easily be 120 miles from the nearest one. Sure there's a few slots parlors but this will be the first full one.

Some argued that it would bring crime but there's a whole ton of agreements on financing for different elements like police, fire, ems etc.

what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,807,081 times
Reputation: 2624
I think it's a bit of a different situation because MGM Grand Detroit is just 1 out of 4 casinos in a 5.7 million region vs Springfield, MA which has a metro area of less than a million and no casino around for roughly 2 hours. But if the MGM Grand there is going to be anything like the one in Detroit with the resort, restaurants, events, bars, and hotel, the impact is probably going to be much bigger and noticeable for a city that size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Here.
14,551 posts, read 13,300,136 times
Reputation: 17042
The crime arguement is irrelevant. Thise casinos have plenty if security. Do you think they want the reputation of being crime-ridden? No one would go there.

People who gamble are going to go to a casino. You might as well have it in your city so you can benefit instead of Las Vegas, Atlantic City, etc. By the way, Atlantic City has gone downhill since all these other cities have their own casinos.

The city will get some extra revenue. People from outside the city will come there to go to the casino. And people who live in the city will spend money there instead of other venues that the city doesn't reap as much revenue from.

My only gripes with the casinos are:

1. It isn't a free market. The casino licences should be allocated in an open market, highest bidder manner. There's too much crony, behind the doors dealing. They should also allow additional casinos to open as long as existing ones are profitable. Maybe allow a new one every so many years.

2. They should have built them all together in a casino district. Make it like a mini-Vegas. They missed out on the synergisitic effect.

3. Gambling, unfortunately takes advantage of the dumbest people who usually are also the poorest. I know we are all responsible adults who have a right to waste our money however we want. But many of these gamblers are the same ones who think that other people should take care of them when they run out of money (from gambling). But, I suppose they could waste their money on other things like illegal gambling, so...I guess I could set my moralistic views aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,807,081 times
Reputation: 2624
I agree I never understood the "it brings crime" argument. Maybe illegal casinos bring crime but high end casinos are quick to remove rowdy people and possibly ban them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,934,700 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I agree I never understood the "it brings crime" argument. Maybe illegal casinos bring crime but high end casinos are quick to remove rowdy people and possibly ban them.
Well in my Sim City games, casinos bring crime!

Haha, no, but seriously, I don't think casinos are any more of a catalyst for crime than any other large commercial establishment. Where you have higher concentrations of people and alcohol you will often have higher concentrations of crime. This is not unique to casinos, nor is it really a problem as if it weren't at the casino it would simply happen at multiple bars and pubs throughout the region. If anything it should be expected that the region as a whole would see a statistically insignificant decrease in crime, as the greater enforcement presence at a casino may act as a slight deterrent? I'm kinda of getting out in the world of theory here.. maybe ignore that last part..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,767 posts, read 65,645,334 times
Reputation: 32948
MGM provided another attraction to come to the city for some people. It did not have a dramatic impact. They did not keep their promise to build a mega luxury Vegas level casino after a few years calming the user-ship was below expected levels. Still it is a decent casino if you like casinos, another hotel, another performance venue, a nice place for lunch for DTE workers.

Do people flock to the city because of MGM? No not really. It is kind of out of the way anyway and self contained so it is not attracting many people to shop, drink, eat downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Michigan
4,571 posts, read 7,271,329 times
Reputation: 3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Well in my Sim City games, casinos bring crime!

Haha, no, but seriously, I don't think casinos are any more of a catalyst for crime than any other large commercial establishment. Where you have higher concentrations of people and alcohol you will often have higher concentrations of crime. This is not unique to casinos, nor is it really a problem as if it weren't at the casino it would simply happen at multiple bars and pubs throughout the region. If anything it should be expected that the region as a whole would see a statistically insignificant decrease in crime, as the greater enforcement presence at a casino may act as a slight deterrent? I'm kinda of getting out in the world of theory here.. maybe ignore that last part..
Could it be that the idea that casinos bring more crime stems from them being associated with the mafia? I could imagine how back in the old days, a new casino might mean an increase in drugs, guns, and other illegal activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Here.
14,551 posts, read 13,300,136 times
Reputation: 17042
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Could it be that the idea that casinos bring more crime stems from them being associated with the mafia? I could imagine how back in the old days, a new casino might mean an increase in drugs, guns, and other illegal activities.
Possibly. Could also simply be that they were illegal, therefore technically a place of "crime". Probably not much other illegal activity going on there except alcohol during prohibition. These places were well known to all, including police officers and judges who were often customers, therefore nothing was done about it. The city I live in (Eastpointe) had three casinos at one time: Chesterfield Hall (where Olive Garden is), Casino Royale, and Eastwood Gardens (8 Mile & Gratiot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 PM
 
292 posts, read 204,736 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm in Springfield Mass and it was sort of tucked away but MGM has said or at least implied that MGM Springfield is inspired by MGM Detroit.

This is going to be the first "real" casino in Mass and the nearest ones would easily be 120 miles from the nearest one. Sure there's a few slots parlors but this will be the first full one.

Some argued that it would bring crime but there's a whole ton of agreements on financing for different elements like police, fire, ems etc.

what are your thoughts?
It is quite simple if it wasn't for the three casinos in Detroit, Detroit would had filed bankruptcy a decade earlier. The casinos pay up to $175,000,000 in taxes to Detroit annually which pays for police and fire. If the casinos went away now, the city would again be in extreme trouble. The crime element may not be from the areas of the casino, but how some people acquire the funds to spend in casinos. I knew a young lady who had a casino habit she acquired her funds from tricking guys and small time drug dealing which sometimes leads to associated violence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,767 posts, read 65,645,334 times
Reputation: 32948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
It is quite simple if it wasn't for the three casinos in Detroit, Detroit would had filed bankruptcy a decade earlier. The casinos pay up to $175,000,000 in taxes to Detroit annually which pays for police and fire. If the casinos went away now, the city would again be in extreme trouble. The crime element may not be from the areas of the casino, but how some people acquire the funds to spend in casinos. I knew a young lady who had a casino habit she acquired her funds from tricking guys and small time drug dealing which sometimes leads to associated violence
What percentage of the 1 billion budget is that? Enough to have a significant impact? Kwame and friends probably bilked the City out of that much every year.

Does Las Vegas have higher crime rates than other Cities? How does it compare to Detroit prior to the advent of Detroit Casinos?

I think the Detroit Crime rate has fallen since the casinos went in, not because of the casinos, but the casinos also did not generate so much crime that it kept the crime rate from dropping on pace with he rest of the USA. Cansinos may make a few people addicted to gambling desperate enough to steal, sell drugs, or go into prostitution, but they also provide some relatively high paying jobs which conceptually will reduce crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top