U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:25 AM

301 posts, read 1,212,311 times

Advertisements

Plenty of amazing deals in Inkster and HP. Be a pioneer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 06:34 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Agreed with you and US Route. They need to put a 50 mile greenbelt around the entire Metro Detroit area. People and jobs moving further and further out for the past 50 years and it's getting ridiculous. The thing with LA has always been it's proximity to the border thus having a large influx of immigrants filling up the older communities as other people moved further out. Maybe Metro Detroit should just allow a large flood of immigrants come in and fill up the older communities, through a screening process of course.
Only we should have Canadians! Canadians are cool.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:34 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,818,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Only we should have Canadians! Canadians are cool.
Get the Windsor Style Pizza going (wait, is that really any different from Detroit style? - ) in the target hoods, and they will be on it like seagulls on a dump.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:28 PM

340 posts, read 866,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Millennial here (32 yrs old), there's tons of homes in the inner ring suburbs going for less than $200k. Just take a quick look on Zillow. I'm not buying into BS. The problem is most 20-30 yr first time buyers want the South Lyon new construction for garden city prices, it's not going to happen.

Or they want to buy in Birmingham where a 1000 sq ft home can cost 350k or more. Royal Oak near downtown is getting ridiculous, but a couple of miles east you can buy a similar house for 120 - 150 k.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:33 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Plenty of amazing deals in Inkster and HP. Be a pioneer!
I want to see the lily white hipsters back up their BS and actually move someplace like this. Never gonna happen.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:36 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,816,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
My family and I just bought a house this winter in an inner-ring suburb. No doubt that there is competition, but when we made a strong offer with a 10% down payment we were under contract within 24 hours. Also, there are a myriad of decent homes for sale that aren't selling right away. If one is looking seriously they can find a home. The best ones may end up being bid on, but is this not a good thing?
I see. So you ignore objective data because personal anecdote.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 PM

9,942 posts, read 16,548,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
And Detroit has 40,000 abandoned homes that need to be torn down.
My childhood home, along with my grandparents home, and most of the street, were either torn down or are abandoned. Any of those homes would make fine starter homes---hey, they were good enough for us! Most had just one bathroom. It wasn't common to have more than one bathroom, unless you were rich, until about the 1960's and the advent of suburbia. Ok, so, it would have been easy enough to install an additional bathroom. I wonder if the land in those areas would be worth anything, perhaps for developers to build on?

Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I see. So you ignore objective data because personal anecdote.
No, but when posters repeatedly ignored my objective posts I went with a story. You want some objective data?

Here are the single-family homes for sale with 3 bedrooms and 800+ square feet, between $100k and $200k, located between Greenfield and Dequindre and 8 Mile and 14 Mile:

Here's Livonia:

Are you going to tell me that literally not one of these homes is a reasonable place for a 25-30 year old to live? And that each and every one of them will be bid on and impossible to get under contract with? Is that what you're telling me? Do you believe that's reasonable?

Is the housing market in crisis because there are only hundreds of homes available for a prospective buyer looking to get into something well within their budget?

Old 06-11-2017, 04:02 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,767,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
No, but when posters repeatedly ignored my objective posts I went with a story. You want some objective data?

Here are the single-family homes for sale with 3 bedrooms and 800+ square feet, between $100k and $200k, located between Greenfield and Dequindre and 8 Mile and 14 Mile:

Here's Livonia:

Are you going to tell me that literally not one of these homes is a reasonable place for a 25-30 year old to live? And that each and every one of them will be bid on and impossible to get under contract with? Is that what you're telling me? Do you believe that's reasonable?

Is the housing market in crisis because there are only hundreds of homes available for a prospective buyer looking to get into something well within their budget?
Yes Ia m..How many 25--30 year old couples,let alone a single person, can afford a $150+ mortgage?

To get an affordable mortgage payment one would need $20K+for a down payment. Are these 25--30 year old folks all making $125K per year?

Old 06-11-2017, 04:06 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,767,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I want to see the lily white hipsters back up their BS and actually move someplace like this. Never gonna happen.
There are some pioneers going into HP..most are looking at Hamtramck which is still petty affordable.
We met a couple who moved into HP from Oregon because commercial property was cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or