Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:56 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,644,808 times

Advertisements

One of the thing that really surprises me about Oak Park, is that north of 696 it's in Berkley schools, which are some of the best in the metro. You can score a $125,000 home and send your kids to schools that rank 9-10. Once the last of the sub-$200k homes in places like Berkley, Northern RO and Livonia dry up I could see Northern Oak Park becoming very hot among young families. Sadly, southern Oak Park still has garbage schools and that will hold property values down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,748,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
#140,000 is entry level>>??
That's so cheap it isn't funny. Parking spots near me have sold for more. That's below entry level!

Old 06-07-2017, 01:14 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,687,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I knid of agree with this. A friends' house in Sterling heights - with a completely trashed yard and needed repairs was listed for 190k and sold for 205k last week.

House is off dequindre in Sterling heights.
I should sell my house to make profit off of my investment, I need to cuz the market won't stay up this high for long. But stupid part of me kinda loves the house even if I am renting it. Damn why didn't I take the risk and buy another house few years ago. I had the money and credit. Stupid stupid me, I thought about it, I talked about it here but never did it

Old 06-07-2017, 01:37 PM

159 posts, read 169,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I should sell my house to make profit off of my investment, I need to cuz the market won't stay up this high for long. But stupid part of me kinda loves the house even if I am renting it. Damn why didn't I take the risk and buy another house few years ago. I had the money and credit. Stupid stupid me, I thought about it, I talked about it here but never did it
Well, there will be always some time when the market comes down. keep the money and credit , ready to pounce.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
Crises!

All the homes under $150,000 are located in places with homes under $150,000

Ohh nooo!

Where are all the homes for under $150,000 in cities with no homes under $200,000?

Ask Disney maybe they can help.

I did a search of Zillow for homes in Michigan under $150,000. It got 72,000 hits.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,243,501 times
Eh, I have never understood why newspapers quote realty associations. They perpetually say that "there isn't much left" in X neighborhood, area, state, no matter what.

That is their job!

Old 06-07-2017, 07:00 PM

20,727 posts, read 9,340,759 times
Dumb article, and unfortunately I see a lot like this lately:
Quote:
Michigan is seeing a near-crisis in affordable home building, as difficulty with lending, regulations and a dwindling skilled-trade workforce have struggled to get Michigan out of a construction recession it’s been in for nearly a decade.
That is, there is a shortage of NEW affordable homes. It says nothing about affordable EXISTING homes, which in Michigan (and elsewhere) exist in abundant supply. The article tries to paint a crisis where there is none.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,694,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Yeahhh, but in 2007 one could get approved for a $450,000 jumbo ARM on paying interest only, if they had a pulse and a bank account... so that's probably not a great example.

That being said, $140,000 is not an unrealistic price for a home in a middle class neighborhood. Run that number by anyone in the west or the northeast and they'll about hit the floor with shock at how affordable that is. If you're putting $15k down you're looking at a payment of about $600 a month, with a 4% interest rate. Throw in taxes and insurance and you're at what? $900? $1000? That's less than rent on a 2 bedroom place for most.
First, I need to correct myself. I was approved for 150k on a $30K salary in late 2008. I moved in 2007 but rented a year. I closed in November 2008. I purchased when they were giving tax rebates for first time buyers to purchase homes because foreclosures were popping up all over. I actually bought a foreclosure.

Anyway, $140k with $15k down will be more in the upper end of your range, with taxes, insurance, and mortgage insurance. Closer to $1000-1100, especially because 4% is on the low end. Most loans I see are in the 4.25-4.375 range, with some going over 5%. If I see 4% or lower, it is usually an ARM or has been in limbo for months. Regardless, a $125K loan is as cheap as a two bedroom apartment in most of Metro Detroit. Heck. As cheap as a one bedroom apartment in most of Oakland County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMetro View Post
What do you think this will do to property values in "less desirable" inner-ring suburbs like Oak Park & Hazel Park? I bought a starter home in Oak Park in May 2016 for $88k and I've already had inquiries about whether I'm willing to sell. So, it seems like this seller's market and lack of inventory will bode well for communities like mine.
Hazel Park homes are selling over appraisal with multiple offers in just hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hazeltucky has arrived. The Hipsters have discovered it!

Lol. They can't afford the other inner ring suburbs anymore.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:37 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,132,941 times
There are other inner ring suburbs besides those in southeastern Oakland County. I doubt Eastpointe, Redford, and Lincoln Park houses are selling like hotcakes. I am glad that some of the older suburbs are in demand, we really need to curb this sprawl. Like I have said before, we have the same metro population as 1970, but today, that same population is spread out over a vastly larger area.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:17 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,846,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
If anything, SE MI is already too much like the LA of a couple or three decades ago, before density increased. And, SE MI would do well to follow in the footsteps of LA in terms of pursuing close in developments instead of sprawl upon sprawl.
Agreed with you and US Route. They need to put a 50 mile greenbelt around the entire Metro Detroit area. People and jobs moving further and further out for the past 50 years and it's getting ridiculous. The thing with LA has always been it's proximity to the border thus having a large influx of immigrants filling up the older communities as other people moved further out. Maybe Metro Detroit should just allow a large flood of immigrants come in and fill up the older communities, through a screening process of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit