U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 PM

28 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Weather:
(
Gloom:
- Due to the warmer waters of the Great Lakes versus the colder air moving across the lakes, we get a lot of gray, overcast, cloudy days from October through February. Sunny days tend to be a rare treat.
- By November the days get fairly short with sunrise after 7am and setting around 5pm. Like said in Nov, Dec, Jan its you may go all week at work without being outside during the daylight hours.
In January (2017) metro Detroit had only 2 days of sun

There have been pockets of sun here and there a few more days than that, but really only 2 that have been consistently sunny and clear.

This seems pretty typical though in Michigan with the Great Lakes. We tend to not get many sunny days in the winter until the Great Lakes get some significant freeze and/or we have very strong high pressure.

I also joke this is often the time of the year I can go from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon without seeing my house/yard in the daylight. Sometimes branches or trash may be lying down in the backyard but I won't notice since its always dark. At least our office has a lot of natural light.
I appreciate your candor about the dark. I did worry that being so far north the sun would set early. Does it tend to be pitch black at 5pm or more like a dusk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:25 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,266,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor-2017 View Post
It was just odd driving through some of the northern suburbs how a road would be in terrible shape then all of a sudden be newly paved and stay nice for a bit then abruptly turn horrid again. We thought it must be because we entered a new city or township.
Very rarely are entire road lengths ever repaved. Some cities save money by only repaving the worst road segments and patch up other parts. It's also very common to repave just major intersections while patching the rest of the road or filling in potholes. The only time a road is ever completely repaved is if it's being widened or some other major alteration.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 PM

979 posts, read 1,116,827 times
The early sunset of around 5 is really only a factor for 1-2 month period in mid-Nov to late Jan, but seems amplified on cloudy/dreary days.

The East Coast / Northeast has it a lot worse, Boston in winter the sun will set around 4pm. With Detroit being so far west in the Eastern timezone, we get later sunset.

This time of the year in summer its light out until about 9:30pm.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/detroit

Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,463,750 times
Quote:

snow removal
I have heard that commuting is worse in winter. Is this due to crappy roads, snow, or both? I would assume they are good at plowing the main roads and even secondary streets. I do worry that with the area being so flat the snow would blow and cause drifting.

My husband liked the Royal Oak area but I was concerned it was too close to 696 (we heard its safest to stay above 696).

Commuting is worse only because of the weather. (The snow fills the potholes, lol.) We had a mild winter and there was maybe one or two days with a rough commute this last year. The roads are heavily traveled, so it just slows things down, but stays moving.

And the only people who will tell you it is dangerous south of 696 likely haven't been in the city in 10+ years. They hide in their suburbs and criticize Detroit from afar. Unless you plan on living in one of the nice and/or affluent neighborhoods within the city of Detroit, 8 Mile is your barrier.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,932,106 times
Quote:
I thought being close to the water there would be lake effect snow like in Cleveland. Is this not the case for Detroit?
In short: No. Detroit does not have lake effect snow.

In detail: In this area the predominant weather pattern is from northwest to southeast. Lake effect snow works by storm systems picking up water from a warmer lake as it moves across. This extra water then super-saturates the storm and then when the storm hits land it drops that super saturation in the form of lake effect snow. Weather moves from west to east across Michigan, and Detroit is over 150 miles from Lake Michigan. Cities like Holland, Muskegon, and Grand Rapids experience lake effect snow, but by the time you get to the eastern part of Michigan it's just typical mid-continent weather behavior, slightly moderated by being just to the west of lakes. Cleveland is southeast of Lake Erie. Detroit is northwest of Lake Erie.

Also of note about the weather, Detroit is actually further south than Boise or Portland. Being close to Canada does not mean "far north"

Regarding Royal Oak being too close to 696, that's bad advice. Royal Oak is a great city, I lived there for 18 months myself, and going south of 696 into Ferndale or Pleasant Ridge you find two more great cities. When it came time to buy a house - well, we're not even two miles off 696 and it's probably the safest neighborhood I've ever lived in, and the city I live in actually has a plan to entirely replace over 50% of the roads over the next 20 years. The roads really aren't bad overall, there just happen to be some really bad ones scattered throughout the metro that people tend to focus on. Just take another route and you'll be fine.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
In short: No. Detroit does not have lake effect snow.
Regarding Royal Oak being too close to 696, that's bad advice. Royal Oak is a great city, I lived there for 18 months myself, and going south of 696 into Ferndale or Pleasant Ridge you find two more great cities. When it came time to buy a house - well, we're not even two miles off 696 and it's probably the safest neighborhood I've ever lived in, and the city I live in actually has a plan to entirely replace over 50% of the roads over the next 20 years. The roads really aren't bad overall, there just happen to be some really bad ones scattered throughout the metro that people tend to focus on. Just take another route and you'll be fine.
I worry about car theft and home invasion, specifically. I had heard car theft is prevalent prior to visiting. While at the hotel when watching the local news there was a story of a vehicle taken from a man's driveway which reinforced this fear. Is auto theft the reason for the high car insurance rates?

I don't anticipate being in Detroit Metro any longer than 5 years so I doubt we will be around for any road improvements.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
It's also very common to repave just major intersections while patching the rest of the road or filling in potholes. The only time a road is ever completely repaved is if it's being widened or some other major alteration.
These roads were actually in and around residential areas in the suburbs. Some neighborhoods had nice paved roads and another near it rough. We couldn't figure out why and guessed we might have been on a suburb borderline.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 PM

9 posts, read 6,086 times
Hello!

It sounds like yr saying you deal with a more general depression & not just SAD (can be quite different). The weather in Michigan can be unpredictable, but generally Jan & Feb especially have very little sun. Also after the "fall back" time change it gets dark very early & is dark for a good portion of the morning.

Having said that, winter can also be beautiful & a great time to curl up by the fireplace with a loved one or a good book. I have friends & clients that swear by their Ion Therapy Lamps they got off Amazon. Also being intentional about filling those month's with hobbies & things you do for fun. I'm a counselor so I would also suggest developing a toolbox for depression relapse prevention, so to speak (you likely have done this already).

Best wishes, whatever you decide

Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
It sounds like your biggest problem is going to be the sunshine. No your not going to get nearly as many sunny days as San Diego or AZ (more like half the sunny days tbh) if that's a deal breaker then I'll say wait for another opportunity in a sunny place like New Mexico or something. If your not going to be in Detroit any longer than a few years then come get your money. 300 days of sunshine will always be waiting on you in Cali or wherever.

As far as safety goes, stop listening to nonsense. There's roughly about 3 million people living south of 696 which is the entire Wayne county and a sizeable chunk of Oakland and Macomb counties. Most of the communities are safe, every city has crime stats online if your interested and you can compare it to where you live now and see if you think you will be comfortable there. Royal Oak for example has crime rates at national average last time I checked. Your unlikely to be a victim of a crime during your 5 year stay if you living in a safe community (which you have plenty to choose from) and not involved in any activity that can put you in danger.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,932,106 times
Quote:
I worry about car theft and home invasion, specifically. I had heard car theft is prevalent prior to visiting. While at the hotel when watching the local news there was a story of a vehicle taken from a man's driveway which reinforced this fear. Is auto theft the reason for the high car insurance rates?

I don't anticipate being in Detroit Metro any longer than 5 years so I doubt we will be around for any road improvements.
The City of Detroit has lower auto theft rates than San Francisco and Salt Lake City - not exactly hotbeds of crime. That's the city. The suburbs are far lower (outside of the usual suspects of Inkster/HP/Pontiac). Auto theft in the suburbs is pretty rare, but if you're going to paint your picture of life in a metro of 4.5 million people based on a single news story I don't anticipate that I'm going to change your mind.

Yeah, cars get stolen every day and night. There are 4.5 million people here. What you're concerned with is how high is the risk of my car being stolen if I live in or around Troy, and the answer to that is that the risk is much lower than average for the United States. According to City-Data's crime statistics for Troy, MI, the average "Crime Index" in the United States is 286.7, (lower is better, higher is worse). Troy has a crime index of 102.3 - Royal Oak comes in at 87.9 Seriously, it's very safe here. If those statistics don't convince you, I don't know what will (see embedded links for yourself).

And based on the amount of construction happening as we speak, you'll see improvements of a few significant roads by this Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or