U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 AM
 
28 posts, read 13,733 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
The 180 days a year is up to 30% sunshine and this is an accurate statistic; however, as indicated before there are a surprisingly high number of partly to mostly cloudy days where you have some sunshine (30-70%), but a number of clouds too. Technically not a "sunny" day - but there is sun. It's your call on if that is acceptable or not.
Clouds are fine as long as the sunlight can peak out. That is why I asked what it felt like to people living in the area. If there was a noticeable difference in the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,810,585 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor-2017 View Post
Yes, the sunlight is a big factor. We currently get an average of 250 sunny days a year. Detroit metro gets about 180 (I know weather patterns vary year-to-year) so I was curious what this actually was like for people who have lived in the area for years and there perspective.
Geo Aggie hit it right on the head. The winter months is what is going to bother you the most. Today probably wouldn't be considered a completely sunny day because it is party cloudy but it looks pretty sunny. Sometimes you will have days where it will be rainy and sunny in the same day, this happens quite a bit actually.

As far as car insurance goes car insurance is high in MI because of the current laws in place here. Not because of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Geo Aggie hit it right on the head. The winter months is what is going to bother you the most. Today probably wouldn't be considered a completely sunny day because it is party cloudy but it looks pretty sunny. Sometimes you will have days where it will be rainy and sunny in the same day, this happens quite a bit actually.

As far as car insurance goes car insurance is high in MI because of the current laws in place here. Not because of crime.
I loooove sun showers. I never knew they were even a thing until I moved here! But yeah, it's really not even all winter months. At least since I've moved here February and March have been rather sunny. Even December wasn't bad, and fall is absolutely beautiful! Just January man, that got dreary this year, and last year wasn't much better.

Also car insurance isn't that bad depending on where you live. If you live/park in the city it's going to be bad, but my wife and I pay about $140 a month for full coverage on two Post-2010 vehicles in Berkley. We paid about the same in Northern Royal Oak and about $35 more when we were near Downtown Royal Oak The $140 though is only $10 more than we paid before we moved here from the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 PM
 
28 posts, read 13,733 times
Reputation: 16
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I just wonder if the low cost of living is worth dealing with winters and roads; and that will vary from person to person. It's good to hear feedback from people actually living thru these winters instead of reading boring stats about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Reputation: 32973
IF you live through winter, you will waste half your life. You really have to embrace winter to live here successfully. You need to love it - at least at the beginning (no one lives it at the end, except one of my daughters, but she hates sunshine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 PM
 
28 posts, read 13,733 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
IF you live through winter, you will waste half your life. You really have to embrace winter to live here successfully. You need to love it - at least at the beginning (no one lives it at the end, except one of my daughters, but she hates sunshine)
I don't love winter and I doubt I will ever embrace it. I can endure it with sun but I am a warm (or at least mild) weather person. No wonder the midwesterners have a reputation for being hale and hearty (that is a compliment btw).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:00 PM
 
915 posts, read 1,162,210 times
Reputation: 1290
1) Car insurance is expensive in Michigan because of the personal injury protection coverage clause in Michigan law.

We are one of the only states that provides lifetime coverage for injuries due to automobile accidents.

Seven things to know about changes to Michigan's mandatory auto insurance | Michigan Radio

(Yes, the article is old, but it provides a good overview on the program - which still is hotly debated and contested in the state legislature.)

"The state mandates a minimum of $500,000 in Personal Injury Protection and an annual fee to the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA) for each vehicle policy.

That MCCA fee varies from year to year. This year, the fee amounted to $145. That buys you coverage for any reasonable and necessary care if the cost of your injuries exceeds that $500,000. In other words, if you're in a horrible accident with disabling injuries, you're covered.

It will pay all of your medical costs.

It will pay up to 85% of the income you would have earned if you had not been hurt for up to three years- with some limits.

If you need physical therapy or other kinds of therapy, such as help with your speech, or re-learning tasks, or how to hold a job, you’ll get help as long as necessary.

It’s lifetime, unlimited coverage."

As a result, we pay higher premiums because of this clause, uninsured drivers, and theft.

2) Winters in Michigan can be dreary.

I have SAD. I've learned to suck it up and exercise in the winter. (Florida's a nice thought, but not everyone can afford to leave every year. It is what it is. Still it's the best remedy if you can find a way to get out for a week.) I have the full spectrum light bulbs that help in the winter, plus my anti-depressants and vitamin D.

A big part of it is just keeping yourself busy.

However, SE Michigan is A LOT better than West Michigan (where I grew up) and this is the only place in Michigan I would actually live because of the weather pattern.

I don't love winter and don't embrace it. I love the snow at Christmas time. I hate the snow after New Years. But I do love having 4 distinct seasons, so I accept that winter is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:30 PM
 
171 posts, read 161,814 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor-2017 View Post
Clouds are fine as long as the sunlight can peak out. That is why I asked what it felt like to people living in the area. If there was a noticeable difference in the winter months.
No, there is plenty of sun.

It's better than June gloom.

Oregon has less sunny days than here in southeast Mi.

- upstate NY has the major grey, not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:32 PM
 
171 posts, read 161,814 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I loooove sun showers. I never knew they were even a thing until I moved here! But yeah, it's really not even all winter months. At least since I've moved here February and March have been rather sunny. Even December wasn't bad, and fall is absolutely beautiful! Just January man, that got dreary this year, and last year wasn't much better.

Also car insurance isn't that bad depending on where you live. If you live/park in the city it's going to be bad, but my wife and I pay about $140 a month for full coverage on two Post-2010 vehicles in Berkley. We paid about the same in Northern Royal Oak and about $35 more when we were near Downtown Royal Oak The $140 though is only $10 more than we paid before we moved here from the west.
Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you about the car insurance - ours is way more here than it was in California. The annual registration fees are lower though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM
 
28 posts, read 13,733 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
1) Car insurance is expensive in Michigan because of the personal injury protection coverage clause in Michigan law.

As a result, we pay higher premiums because of this clause, uninsured drivers, and theft.
We do carry comprehensive insurance on our cars. Are injury lawsuits that prevalent to warrant the high insurance premiums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top