U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 01:04 PM

28 posts, read 13,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I do think in the case of roads it is a comparative thing. "Bad roads" is a bit subjective. Since no place has all "perfect roads" one fair way to answer "how bad?" is by comparing or ranking all roads.
Every place I have lived have been good about keeping up with road repairs. Frankly, I was shocked by the amount of rough roads and lack of construction to fix them. I wondered if it was lack of funding (or tax money mismanagement), not wanted to shut down portions of roads for repair due to volume of traffic, or if road fixing just wasn't a priority. As a non-native it was very noticeable and perplexing. Why would anyone have a nice car that is just going to get destroyed by daily driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,751,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor-2017 View Post
Do you think the medication helps your husband deal with the winters? I do not want to go back on antidepressants.
Actually, no, because I've known him for over thirty years and he was only diagnosed and started on medication seventeen years ago and winter never affected him before that either. He just doesn't mind anything about it.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:17 PM

4,020 posts, read 2,926,525 times
Quote:
I do think in the case of roads it is a comparative thing. "Bad roads" is a bit subjective. Since no place has all "perfect roads" one fair way to answer "how bad?" is by comparing or ranking all roads.
Since OP isn't comparing MI to all states, that comparison is going to get a bit vague in a hurry, though. And it doesn't have to be a relative thing. If your roads are ridden with potholes, your roads are objectively bad and it doesn't matter if another state has it worse.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:46 PM

2,105 posts, read 1,350,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Since OP isn't comparing MI to all states, that comparison is going to get a bit vague in a hurry, though. And it doesn't have to be a relative thing. If your roads are ridden with potholes, your roads are objectively bad and it doesn't matter if another state has it worse.
The OP asked how the roads are, heard they were bad. Bad compared to what? A brand new road? Thats not a fair compassion because you can't expect very many roads to be brand new.
If riddled with potholes is the norm across the nation then it isn't objectively bad its objectively the norm. If you think the norm is bad then maybe you have unrealistic expectations.
Whats an objectively good or bad life span of a human? How do you measure that without looking at a bigger picture?

Old 06-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The OP asked how the roads are, heard they were bad. Bad compared to what? A brand new road? Thats not a fair compassion because you can't expect very many roads to be brand new.
If riddled with potholes is the norm across the nation then it isn't objectively bad its objectively the norm. If you think the norm is bad then maybe you have unrealistic expectations.
Whats an objectively good or bad life span of a human? How do you measure that without looking at a bigger picture?
My question was actually about snow removal and why the roads were rough and how often they fixed/paved road issues. I never asked for a comparison to other roads. I wondered why the roads are so terrible in michigan and it doesn't look like they are going to fix the problem any time soon.

Senate transportation package won't get Michigan's roads fixed - Crain's Detroit Business

Report: Michigan

Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
The OP asked how the roads are, heard they were bad. Bad compared to what?
To a good road or what most people would consider to be one. Evenly paved, no potholes, clear markings, etc.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,932,627 times
The issue at hand is consecutive cloudy days. Detroit lacks these. Detroit has clouds, but it is frequently broken up by sunlight, as indicated by just about every response on here.

As stated in my very first post on this thread, roads are not bad, by American standards (see link below). If OP is from Berlin or Paris, then yeah, our roads are trash. Welcome to America. We don't repair infrastructure, we fund foreign wars. But If OP is from another large US metro, then our roads are what any American expects based on American road standards.

Snow removal is dependent upon municipality. An upscale city like Troy does a great job. Inkster? Probably not so much. You can see the difference driving down Greenfield. Berkley roads? Clear. Southfield roads? Ehh.. hit and miss.

https://www.transportation.gov/polic...dge-data-state

Old 06-09-2017, 10:27 PM

325 posts, read 307,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor-2017 View Post
We are considering a job offer in Troy, MI. Job is great—only problem it’s in Michigan. I hear the horror stories about Detroit and crime and I hope it can’t be as bad as the rumors. I flew out with my husband for his job interview and we drove around various suburbs to get a feel for the area.

weather—I can handle cold and snow but I need sunshine on a regular basis (I suffer from severe depression that is exacerbated by prolonged gray, dreary weather)

Due to my struggles with depression we are wondering if this area is a good fit for us, even in the short term (we would be looking to stay approx 5 years, or until my husband is ready for the next step up on his career path). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Texas, and the winters literally almost killed me. I'm *not* a depressed person, generally well-functioning and high-achieving, and there were days I asked myself if I was going to jump through the window of a building or not. Just keepin' it real. It affects people differently, some people take gray winters harder than others. I was there for four years, and only recently discovered I have a low, low Vitamin D deficiency--so much that I have to take extra vitamins. My prayer now is that I will never live again where cactus doesn't grow wild.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:06 AM

I will just leave this here. It ain't just me.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Texas, and the winters literally almost killed me. I'm *not* a depressed person, generally well-functioning and high-achieving, and there were days I asked myself if I was going to jump through the window of a building or not. Just keepin' it real. It affects people differently, some people take gray winters harder than others. I was there for four years, and only recently discovered I have a low, low Vitamin D deficiency--so much that I have to take extra vitamins. My prayer now is that I will never live again where cactus doesn't grow wild.
Not being from the snow-prone north, this is my concern as well. Perhaps growing up with cold, gray, snowy weather allows you to become accustom to it and thus making it more tolerable. Depression makes adaptability to such things more challenging :/

About how many months would you say that lasted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or