U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:28 PM

220 posts, read 671,559 times

Advertisements

We recently came across a family picture showing a house with the address 14145 __________, with no street name. We believe it is in Detroit. Has anyone seen this house that can help us identify the street address. We believe the picture was taken mid 1920s to mid 1930s. The person that owned this home could have had the last name Geske or Jeske or Weidman.
Attached Thumbnails
House Address Identification Needed-weidman-justina-daniel.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,473,857 times
OP, I put 14145 in Detroit MI (into Google) and pulled up about 5 properties, but none of the photos look like the house and most of those properties were built in the 1940s and later. This may not be it, either.

Here's a better photo

https://www.williamsauction.com/prop...i-48223/191602

14145-glastonbury-ave-detroit

14145 Glastonbury Ave, Detroit, MI is a single family home that contains 988 sq ft and was built in 1936. It contains 1 bathroom. This home last sold for $12,500 in December 2008.

Here's 14145 St. Marys St - this one has a window closer to the front door.

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Detroit/14.../home/98534120

14145 Saint Marys St is a house in Detroit, MI 48227. This 1,334 square foot house sits on a 4,792 square foot lot and features 1 bathroom. This property was built in 1925.

This is the same sort of house in your photo, I believe. I think that's right about it being Detroit.

https://www.trulia.com/rental/324042...troit-MI-48205

I know that Dearborn and Cherry Hill also have neighborhoods with brick houses like that.

I grew up down the road from there and I remember people saying things like, "Grandma lives in Detroit." Not really -- she actually lived in Lincoln Park, but no one knew where that was, so they said "Detroit."

Last edited by Meemur; 06-16-2017 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM

2,952 posts, read 4,346,725 times
Tough. Spent about an hour fooling around. The only things I came across:

1) There are at least a couple houses in Detroit at that number that are now vacant lots.
2) Interesting; if you google image search "14145 Detroit" you come across a listing for 14145 Piedmont that looks very similar; however, I think that image is actually pulled from an image on the same page that is at another address in Boston-Edison. The image gallery for the page is now defunct, unfortunately.

If you want to really find out you could sign up for ancestry.com or pour through old census records;the answer doesn't appear to be easily solvable through casual Internet sleuthing. The 1940 census archives are available on archives.com.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post

If you want to really find out you could sign up for ancestry.com or pour through old census records;the answer doesn't appear to be easily solvable through casual Internet sleuthing. The 1940 census archives are available on archives.com.
The OP might also want to post this question in the genealogy forum here at City-data -- someone who knows more than I do might have a short-cut method for finding street names to go with addresses.

I had a similar problem and had to go through the census, but I used the microfiche at the LDS family library. That was back, pre-Internet.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:11 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,461,794 times
When was it that Detroit did a lot of renumbering? I can't remember exactly, but I believe it was around that time. However, that is a pretty high number so if I were to guess, it was either taken after being renumbered or not renumbered at all.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 AM

That's right, Jaynarie! I had forgotten about that. I suspect that this photo was taken after 1921 because of the hat -- I'm thinking later 20s, 1928 (ish), so the house number might be OK.

Detroit Renumbering Information

Detroit Renumbering Information

Detroit, the 4th largest city in the United States in 1920, underwent a massive house renumbering program in 1921. The new numbers went into effect on January 1, 1921. The tables presented on our utility were transcribed from the “Federal Official Street Guide and Pocket Directory of Detroit,” 1920-21 Edition.

Here is what the Directory says about the new numbering system:

One full number is allowed for each 10 feet of frontage on each side of all

Thoroughfares, even numbers on the right and odd numbers on the left

side. The base line is a line drawn perpendicular with the foot of Woodward

Avenue, extending easterly through Essex Avenue and in a westward direction

along the tracks of the Wabash Railroad: streets south of this line will be

“south.” Woodward Ave to the Six Mile Road and thence continuing north

on John R Street will be the other base line dividing the city into “East,” and

“West.” Michigan Avenue is considered as extending westward, Grand River

Avenue northward and Gratiot Avenue eastward, for the purpose of the

ordinance. North and south streets start at the base line with the numbers 100

and 101: east and west streets start at the Woodward base line with numbers

1 and 2. Each block will be a rectifying block, so that along a north and south

line from the river up, the numbers on the houses will be alike on each cross

street: the same holds true going east and west.

We only transcribed those streets that showed both new and old numbers in the Directory.

Joel Weintraub July 2005

Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 AM

One other comment: I'm thinking that if this house is in Detroit that it's in the Roseville area; that's one of the older sections where they did very fine brickwork in the 19-teens and twenties, although it wasn't the only one.

There's also a chance that this house no longer exists today, so the 1940 census records, as Jonnynono mentioned up thread might be the next place to go - search for the people's names and don't get thrown if the house number is different.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
The OP might also want to post this question in the genealogy forum here at City-data -- someone who knows more than I do might have a short-cut method for finding street names to go with addresses.

I had a similar problem and had to go through the census, but I used the microfiche at the LDS family library. That was back, pre-Internet.
Ah, the only benefit of being "technically" LDS still - free access to the world's best supply of genealogical data. Haha, if you have a specific census record you'd like pulled - don't hesitate to bug me. And the perk of me giving zero craps about LDS mythology is that I won't tag your ancestors for necrodunking (baptism of the dead)

Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Ah, the only benefit of being "technically" LDS still - free access to the world's best supply of genealogical data. Haha, if you have a specific census record you'd like pulled - don't hesitate to bug me. And the perk of me giving zero craps about LDS mythology is that I won't tag your ancestors for necrodunking (baptism of the dead)
I'll keep that in mind! Thanks. And the baptism of the dead doesn't bother me a bit: they're dead!

Old 06-18-2017, 04:23 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,293,137 times
The 14000’s address-numbered houses of Detroit are on the westside. They are on north-south running residential streets between Schoolcraft Avenue and Fenkell (5 Mile Road). Since this house is in the low 14000’s, it was closer to Schoolcraft. The north-south running streets with 14000 address numbers go from around Wyoming Avenue on the east to Telegraph Road/Eliza Howell Park on the West – distance of over 5 Miles.

Because of the fancy “Tudor-Style” arched door of this house, this house probably was located between Wyoming and Evergreen. West of Evergreen is the Brightmoor neighborhood, where the houses where built really cheap.

-After looking in Google Maps at every north-south running residential street from Evergreen to Wyoming, I couldn’t find the house, but there was one that was really, really, really close to the house shown in the photo – this one on 14145 Mansfield Street .

Last edited by usroute10; 06-18-2017 at 04:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or