U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2017, 03:09 PM
 
760 posts, read 2,121,496 times
Reputation: 689

Advertisements

I have never seen homes with full kitchens in basements unless they were being used as an in-law suite. Does the amount of entertaining that people are doing really necessitate a full kitchen in their basement family rooms? We have been home owners in 4 different states and I have never seen this. In every home we are looking at in Bloomfield Twp there is a full kitchen in the basement which I would NEVER use. Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2017, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Windsor Ontario/Colchester Ontario
1,530 posts, read 1,466,701 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
I have never seen homes with full kitchens in basements unless they were being used as an in-law suite. Does the amount of entertaining that people are doing really necessitate a full kitchen in their basement family rooms? We have been home owners in 4 different states and I have never seen this. In every home we are looking at in Bloomfield Twp there is a full kitchen in the basement which I would NEVER use. Am I missing something here?
Full kitchens in basements were very popular here in Windsor back when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. Windsor has always had a huge Italian population, and most of these basement kitchens were popular in the the Italian community, as well as from the those from Balkans. Growing up, many of my Italian friends mothers did most of their cooking in them, I was always fascinated by this. They would use the basement kitchen almost 100% of the time, while the main kitchen was rarely used and thus stayed in a pristine State. I'm not sure if many people now a days still put these in anymore. I guess immigrants are coming from different parts of the world now, so I would assume this may be a thing of the past soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
8,252 posts, read 16,852,288 times
Reputation: 8956
If it's an 'older' house, the basement kitchen was also sometimes put in because people wanted to keep the home cooler during the summer in an ear when central air was less common, even in more premium homes. Ultra-orthodox Jewish homeowners might have also gone double kitchen in the name of keeping very strict kosher easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 AM
 
760 posts, read 2,121,496 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
If it's an 'older' house, the basement kitchen was also sometimes put in because people wanted to keep the home cooler during the summer in an ear when central air was less common, even in more premium homes. Ultra-orthodox Jewish homeowners might have also gone double kitchen in the name of keeping very strict kosher easier.
These are not older homes. They are all high end newer homes.

While looking for homes that we may be interested, I kept skipping so many because they all had full kitchens in the lower levels. Fridge, stove, dishwashers, as what should be just the bar area. I thought maybe for having people over for football games and for heating food??? But how often do people have parties big enough to justify needing a full kitchen? Growing up we had a Muslim neighbor who had an extra stove in her basement for making Lebanese bread (massive thin), so I was wondering if it was a cultural thing. The immigrant angle explains it, because many of the homes have very heavy decorating and elaborate curtains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2017, 02:45 PM
 
194 posts, read 166,993 times
Reputation: 302
We are looking at Michigan homes right now and one of our favorite prospects has a full basement kitchen. My husband has lived all over the US and has never seen such a thing. Me? I grew up in the Detroit area and know about basement kitchens. My daughter, who lives in Orion Township, wasn't a bit surprised.

I always envisioned them being used for big holiday meals or other entertaining, but some create a mother-in-law apartment type effect with built in bedroom and bath. (To be a legal bedroom, though, the basement needs an egress window or walk out.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 PM
 
979 posts, read 1,119,777 times
Reputation: 1099
In Metro Detroit, homes built with a full lower-level kitchen often tends to be a cultural thing.
You'll find that many homes built in the 70s, 80, 90s, particularly in places like Sterling Heights, West Bloomfield, Shelby Township will sometimes have this feature. Also seen a lot in very large homes higher-end homes.

My buddy is renting a fairly modest 1980s home in Sterling Heights and I was shocked to see it had a full finished basement with full second kitchen (and original 1980's appliances).

Its was very popular with Italians, some Eastern European, and some Middle Eastern cultures and often seen as a sign of wealth. Sometimes its also set-up that way for multi-generational or multi-family living which is more prevalent in certain cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 AM
 
2,471 posts, read 1,767,878 times
Reputation: 3271
Wow so this is a real thing in metro Detroit. I have seen many friends house use their basement kitchen & always thought it was weird. But I thought it was a newer thing these family (immigrants) did on their own. These are 1920s house that people have modified as they like over the century, so I never thought much of it aside from being interesting. Basement kitchen gave these house extra space & tidy main floor bathroom.

Good to know many others had similar mindset. The things culture borrow from eachother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Pure Michigan!
4,492 posts, read 7,758,595 times
Reputation: 7074
All I'm thinking as I'm reading through this thread is, "Wow, another kitchen to clean every week. No, thanks!" However, if these are high end homes then the occupants probably don't have to do their own cleaning and this thought never runs through their mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 AM
 
979 posts, read 1,119,777 times
Reputation: 1099
No, you can find homes in Sterling Heights that selling for $250-300k with full basement second kitchens (and dated decor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
 
7 posts, read 7,819 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Full kitchens in basements were very popular here in Windsor back when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. Windsor has always had a huge Italian population, and most of these basement kitchens were popular in the the Italian community, as well as from the those from Balkans. Growing up, many of my Italian friends mothers did most of their cooking in them, I was always fascinated by this. They would use the basement kitchen almost 100% of the time, while the main kitchen was rarely used and thus stayed in a pristine State. I'm not sure if many people now a days still put these in anymore. I guess immigrants are coming from different parts of the world now, so I would assume this may be a thing of the past soon.

My, what's the sense of living without one? My grandparents, both sets, and my parents all had a full basement kitchen, living room, bathroom.

We spent a vast majority of the time down there with the grandparents. My parents would do it for holiday family gatherings.

It's like having a whole extra house really when you consider the junk houses in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top