Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times

Advertisements

The other day going down US-23 through Hartland and Brighton and I realized what seems like an absurd amount of big box retail stores in a relatively small area in the exurban / semi-rural parts of Southeast Michigan.

Specifically:
- Hartland
- Brighton
- Howell
- South Lyon (technically Oakland County) but on the border.

Hartland:
Meijer, Target, and a closed Wal-Mart (only made it 7 years 2009-2016, RIP)

Brighton:
Meijer, Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Kohls

Howell:
Meijer, Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Kohls

South Lyon/New Hudson
Wal-Mart, Lowes

No to mentions the other assorted JCPenny, Marshalls, Dollar Stores, Kroger, etc.

I mean its seems ludicrous that there are Home Depots and Kohls less than 5 miles apart out there.
Plus that Wal-Mart opened a brand new store only to close it shortly thereafter.

This whole area since like the poster-child for stupid land use, gluttonous mass consumerism, and a relic of the go-go mid-2000s big box retail.

The amount of retail gluttony out there is astonding, considering you have almost 200,000 sq ft. vacant former Wal-Mart that was built in 2009 in Hartland. Then you have basically an entirely vacant strip mall & grocery store in Milford that was previously a Farmer Jack that was built in 2003. Its absurd to think that in this area anyone would be suggesting the need for more strip malls these exurban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Welcome to the "easy" life. We have been here (Livingston County) for 6 years and each year there are a few more corporate leaches built and less mom and pops stores. Downtown Brighton is almost 80% restaurants and general retail stores fade away--this is in part due to Amazon and on-line buying.
There is a Meijer in Brighton an another at Grand River and Latson and one at 59 and 23. Kroegers are everywhere and the one store that was"local" VG's is selling out and will be a Busch soon.
Since every restaurant in Brighton and Howell is crowed 2-3 days a week I am not sure who is doing all the shopping at those grocery stores?
The two home depots are situated about the same distance from each other as Mejer. The Walmart at Grand River and Latson has the Lowes and the out lots are all chain fast food, the newest being Culver's. The regional restaurant RED OLIVE is also newer.
So far Brighton has kept Walmart out of the city limits. The other Kohls is in GREEN OAKS (South Lyon border) at Lee Road near Costco--which is a complete cluster in and of itself..
There is also an explosion of medical centers along Grand River and the new U of M medical facility going up behind Target on Grand River near 96---yet there is still no pediatrics ward at any hospital for delivering a baby?

RURAL KING has moved into the abandoned Walmart in Hartland.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 06-21-2017 at 06:47 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 06:48 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
It makes me sad that people would rather new-develop farmland than redevelop formerly urban land.
I get it, from an economics perspective I really get it, but it just goes to speak volumes to how little Americans care about the good of the planet, the good of all people, and our lust for that which is newer, cheaper, bland.

>> This whole area since like the poster-child for stupid land use, gluttonous mass consumerism, and a relic of the go-go mid-2000s big box retail.

Yup, and in 40 years it'll look like the scattered remnants of the Northland Mall. Americans really kind of suck at long-term urban planning. It's like we can't see beyond 20 years, but hey - profit an convenience now? Who cares about our grandkids!?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Visit Canton, Woodhaven, even Ann Arbor - it is much the same everywhere. What seems odd to me is that they locate a Home Depot, Lowes and Menards within a mile of each other. Woodhaven has an intersection hosting Taget, Meijers, Walmart and formerly Super K mart (until it finally went out of business). There is of course a Home Depot and Lowes in the general area too. Why do they do that and how do they stay in business?

I see the same thing at other intersections with drug stores. Sav On, CVS Walgreens and whatever else each on opposite corners. Then you drive 5 or more miles before you find another pharmacy.

Yet, it seems to work for them. They stay in business and the area grows. Look at Novi - nothing but chain stores, much of them big box. Yet 40 years later it is still going strong. Still adding more and more chains and big box stores. The area of Woodhaven I described has grown and grown. It is much like an outdoor shopping mall now. Smaller and specialty stores have popped up all over, the old super Kmart is subdivided and beginning to fill up. There is not much you cannot find in that general area (well they need a music store). Canton went the same way. Big box after big box. Remarkably the hell hole that is called Ikea seems to have somehow boosted the area rather than causing MDOT to close the exit from the 275 like they should have.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:31 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
Why Do Competing Stores Open Up Next To Each Other? | WEAKONOMICS

Humans tend to shop based on boredom - I'll stop at Home Depot or Lowes. Do you know what you're buying? No. Do you pick some times to go in one vs. another? Keeping them close motivates your brain to "pop in" and then both have a higher chance of getting your sales. It's all because, we as humans, aren't as bright as we like to give ourselves credit for =)

Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
Seems like an awful lot of retail space for a county with less than 200,000 residents.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Seems like an awful lot of retail space for a county with less than 200,000 residents.
Brighton draws from the freeways and from South Lyon, Green Oak township, Lyon township, Milford and other nearby communities. Not as much as it used to, but still obviously enough to support all the big box stuff.

Not sure where the others draw from, maybe the local support is sufficient.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,336 times
So, this wouldn't be the thread where I talk about how excited I am that a Tim Horton's is being built on Pontiac Trail close to my house.

Oh well. Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 06-21-2017, 05:33 PM

27 posts, read 43,456 times
I couldn't imagine living there. I hate driving through it on the rare occasion. My concern is what will happen to those stores as more box retailers close??

Old 06-21-2017, 06:12 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
So, this wouldn't be the thread where I talk about how excited I am that a Tim Horton's is being built on Pontiac Trail close to my house.

Oh well. Hope everyone has a great day!
We have THREE here in the SE corner of Livingston..Just opened #3 at Latson and 96...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit