U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:45 AM

142 posts, read 117,453 times

Advertisements

I dont live far from south Warren at all. But I dont live there, for a reason.
I checked the area out and saw way too many condemned homes. And lots of blight. All of the surrounding suburbs are better.
A friend of mine lives in a not-so-great part of Detroit. He told me that he picked up a relative from a house in south Warren and thought it looked as bad as Detroit.
Another friend checked out the Google images and kept mentioning his surprise at how rough that area looked. And its worse in person.
Its not as bad as the nearby areas of Detroit YET. Not as many vacant lots or boarded houses. But with the housing stock being so old and neglected, they continue to be condemned and demolished.
Many are rental homes, owned by careless slumlords just looking for a tax writeoff. Yards are filthy, the homes decayed, and this area is particularly hard hit by the heroin epidemic that Warren is facing. 9/van Dyke is also bad for alcoholism. A lot of problems are fights and assualts stemming from drug or alcohol use.
Oh, and then there was the 2012 story about the pregnant woman who was shot and set on fire.
Pregnant Michigan woman survives being shot and set on fire - CBS News

Northern warren is a solid, desireable middle-class community where I myself would consider living in a heartbeat. Nice brick homes with garages and full basements. Working families. South warren is a different bird altogether-one of unemployed heroin addicts, drunks, and dilapidated houses. Believe it or not, 2 of the better places to live in South warren are mobile home parks, both of which are well west of Van Dyke: Lafayette, near Warner and 8 Mile, is respectable, and Glennwood Village, north of 9 mile off warner is quite nice. we have a relative moving to the area and Im actually going to have them try to get a home in Glennwood. So I dont have this anti-Warren bias. I feel I am as objective as they come when it comes to crime and blight. I dont look at incomes and race. Yes, many blacks are moving to 9/Van Dyke, wrongfully thinking its an upgrade. They arent the ones who I see as a problem. Its the white druggies who rummage through cars or try to sell dope to kids. Its the drunks who fight with people. My view is that the blacks are moving there due to a perception that, since its Macomb County, its a better place for their families. The area between 8-9 mile, several blocks both East and west of Van Dyke, is skid row, and the former Detroit residents moving there probably dont realize it. They are moving to my neighborhood, too, and keeping the houses occupied that otherwise would have sat empty. So my criticism of 9/Van Dyke is neither racial, nor against low-income areas. In my opinion, its a crappy area regardless of who lives there and there are nearby low-income areas that I consider perfectly viable options.
For a little more money, you can move to Hazel Park (which is on the upswing), Roseville (which has similar housing in much better shape and in more stable neighborhoods), or Eastpointe (which is visually cleaner looking). Even Centerline, just to the north, has a more stable feel to it, which disappears the minute you head south.
The one good thing is that, with the exception of New Years eve, gunfire probably wont be too common there. Mostly kids with BB guns shooting out car windows. Or drunk guys tearing up their house or busting up their neighbors car with a shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,420 times
Thanks everyone! Luckily I decided against it. It does seem a little to rough for me especially I drove around at night.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:52 PM

61 posts, read 49,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 615pickles View Post
Thanks everyone! Luckily I decided against it. It does seem a little to rough for me especially I drove around at night.
You made the right decision. Although you missed out on a cheap place to live, it is cheap for a reason.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 PM

169 posts, read 131,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Considering I spend anywhere from 25-30% of my week in Warren and eat lunch in the 9 Mile/Van Dyke area about twice a month, I'd say I actually do know Warren/Center Line pretty well - possibly better than most native posters who know Warren as a GM suburb that you drive through, to get to Lake St. Clair or the Pointes. So rather than trying to attack my background to discredit me, why don't you let my posts speak for themselves?
I spend 30% of my week in downtown Detroit because I work there. I eat in Southwest Detroit about 3 times per month. I haven't the faintest idea about the neighborhoods, apartments, or any other living conditions in either place because I don't live there. Working and eating lunch in a city does not qualify as knowing a city. There's a place in Southgate called Vics Casual Dining. It's one of Southgate's nicer restaurants and nice for downriver standards. If you ate there, you'd actually think Southgate was a pretty nice, upper middle class suburb. But you'd be wrong. It's a lower middle class suburb that's been slowly deteriorating over the years. I know because I've lived there. Much like the two other posters on this thread who actually have experience living in and around south Warren. Sorry, working and eating lunch in a city doesn't qualify as "knowing" it.

Quote:
Regarding crime in Warren, according to City-Data's statistics crime has decreased by about 30% over the last 10 years. Since comparing 2007 to 2017 is sort of cherry picking the worst year against the best year, even comparing the good economy of 2004 to the recently-post-recession world of 2012 indicates about a 10% drop in crime. Regarding violent crime, rape has been trending up, while murder, assault, and robberies have all been down - mimicking a trend pretty typical of America over the last 10 years.
Do these numbers separate south Warren from the rest of the city? Warren is the 3rd largest city in the state. So that would matter.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
I spend 30% of my week in downtown Detroit because I work there. I eat in Southwest Detroit about 3 times per month. I haven't the faintest idea about the neighborhoods, apartments, or any other living conditions in either place because I don't live there. Working and eating lunch in a city does not qualify as knowing a city. There's a place in Southgate called Vics Casual Dining. It's one of Southgate's nicer restaurants and nice for downriver standards. If you ate there, you'd actually think Southgate was a pretty nice, upper middle class suburb. But you'd be wrong. It's a lower middle class suburb that's been slowly deteriorating over the years. I know because I've lived there. Much like the two other posters on this thread who actually have experience living in and around south Warren. Sorry, working and eating lunch in a city doesn't qualify as "knowing" it.
You could easily get to know the city by simply eating and working there. You don't choose to. Which does not surprise me, because by your posts, the attitude you give off is the city is beneath you.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,092,289 times
You can use the internet to get a feeling of how good or bad an area is. Use streetview to look around, if an area looks run down, poorly maintained, and scary it probably is scary. Usually crime stats are available too on a neighborhood level and online papers usually report crime as well.

Also, for any American city, if you run out of Starbuckses, Panera Bread's, Corner Bakeries or other hipster establishments you'd better turn around because it will get scary soon.

The problem with some American cities is that their hoods used to be solid middle class neighborhoods once so you might actually easily confuse those areas for middle class because they partly still look middle class while really they are far from being middle class.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Actually.. yes.. I observe the area around me because I find the lifestyles of others to be quite interesting. And yes, I've driven Stephens (9.5 Mile) from Van Dyke to Gratoit (in Eastpointe), for no other reason than I wanted to see what was there. It was surprisingly uninteresting. There's a grungy industrial park near Groesbeck, but it's pretty well occupied. No boarded windows, graffiti, or obvious signs of abandonment. The homes themselves are mostly mid-century brick ranches. Boring, uninspiring, but kept up. Far fewer trees than you'd find in Oakland or Western Wayne County. Through the streets you see a few more distressed lawns that you'd find in upper-middle class areas, but you don't find the holes in roofs or sagging awnings that you get in the rougher parts of Detroit. You also find that just about every (~90-95%) lot is occupied by a livable structure and there are no burned out husks. Now I've admittedly never been in Southwest Warren, but based on the DetroitNews article, it's not as rough as Southeast Warren, at least not by the numbers. Based on that, I'd expect Southwest to be more Hazel Park-ish. (Granted Hazel Park is quite possibly the most redneck place I've ever been within a large metro area, but it's certainly not dangerous. - Just a lot more mullets per-capita than one would expect to find in 2017...) There are rough patches of South Warren. The commercial strip at Van Dyke and 8 is pretty well abandoned still, but it's salvageable. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to move here, but I want to be objective. So let's treat it for what it is. It's ugly, the housing stock is terrible and probably never going to improve, and I'm personally never moving there - buuut, it's not a bad place to pick up a $50,000 home or rent a 3 BR house for $800, if that's what you're looking for - which is something you can't do anymore in most of the metro.

Regarding crime, I believe Center Line is a good indicator of how "dangerous" things have become south of 696 between Dequindre and Hayes. City-Data statistics for Center Line show a similar, though less drastic drop in crime rates for Center Line when compared to Warren. My interpretation is that while North Warren has seen a lot of reinvestment and financial improvement over the last 10 years, South Warren and Center Line have seen a much more moderated level of improvement. While it's not insanely dangerous, it's still economically depressed when compared with neighborhoods and communities north of 696. I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

Now this all may create some cognitive dissonance and you may pen apologetics around it about how South Warren is still a slum, but I think the statistics can speak for themselves. It's working class. It's not nearly as nice as North Warren. It's also not terribly dangerous and it's not a ghetto.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM

340 posts, read 866,040 times
Quote:
Actually.. yes.. I observe the area around me because I find the lifestyles of others to be quite interesting. And yes, I've driven Stephens (9.5 Mile) from Van Dyke to Gratoit (in Eastpointe), for no other reason than I wanted to see what was there. It was surprisingly uninteresting. There's a grungy industrial park near Groesbeck, but it's pretty well occupied. No boarded windows, graffiti, or obvious signs of abandonment. The homes themselves are mostly mid-century brick ranches. Boring, uninspiring, but kept up. Far fewer trees than you'd find in Oakland or Western Wayne County. Through the streets you see a few more distressed lawns that you'd find in upper-middle class areas, but you don't find the holes in roofs or sagging awnings that you get in the rougher parts of Detroit. You also find that just about every (~90-95%) lot is occupied by a livable structure and there are no burned out husks. Now I've admittedly never been in Southwest Warren, but based on the DetroitNews article, it's not as rough as Southeast Warren, at least not by the numbers. Based on that, I'd expect Southwest to be more Hazel Park-ish. (Granted Hazel Park is quite possibly the most redneck place I've ever been within a large metro area, but it's certainly not dangerous. - Just a lot more mullets per-capita than one would expect to find in 2017...) There are rough patches of South Warren. The commercial strip at Van Dyke and 8 is pretty well abandoned still, but it's salvageable. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to move here, but I want to be objective. So let's treat it for what it is. It's ugly, the housing stock is terrible and probably never going to improve, and I'm personally never moving there - buuut, it's not a bad place to pick up a $50,000 home or rent a 3 BR house for $800, if that's what you're looking for - which is something you can't do anymore in most of the metro.

Regarding crime, I believe Center Line is a good indicator of how "dangerous" things have become south of 696 between Dequindre and Hayes. City-Data statistics for Center Line show a similar, though less drastic drop in crime rates for Center Line when compared to Warren. My interpretation is that while North Warren has seen a lot of reinvestment and financial improvement over the last 10 years, South Warren and Center Line have seen a much more moderated level of improvement. While it's not insanely dangerous, it's still economically depressed when compared with neighborhoods and communities north of 696. I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

Now this all may create some cognitive dissonance and you may pen apologetics around it about how South Warren is still a slum, but I think the statistics can speak for themselves. It's working class. It's not nearly as nice as North Warren. It's also not terribly dangerous and it's not a ghetto.
I appreciate this comment, coming from a relative outsider, without bias.
South Warren is not a place anybody aspires to be by any means. However, where else in the country can you buy a house for 50k and still be in a centric metro area near employment centers, hospitals and with a functional city that al least picks up the trash and shows up when you call 911?
Opioids are rampant in Warren, but so in every blue collar/working class neighborhoods around the country.
I would not choose to live there under normal conditions, but if I had a limited amount of income and wanted to live near work in an area with actual services (unlike inner city Detroit), I would.

BTW I have rental properties in South Warren and South Ferndale (two areas I like to compare due to their proximity to Detroit) and I have had more break ins in Ferndale than Warren.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:54 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times
South Warren isn't anywhere close to the best suburb to live but you can't even compare South Warren to many of the hoods in Detroit. Go spend a summer near 7 mile and Gratiot area if you think it's just like Warren.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:26 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,813,588 times
Quote:

Areas like that (and I have also visited but not a frequently as you have) are also seen here in the Bay Area and even more in So Cal. Take pretty much any suburban area built during WW2 and during the 5 or so years after it. Just yesterday, I did an errand from work by walking. My walk took me through the SE corner of Belmont and through the so called "Harbor Industrial Area." Other than certain vegetation I could have been in Southern Warren. Were there ... gasp ... some black people? Affirmative. Where there other non-white working class? Affirmative. I even grazed a trailer park where there are likely ... illegals ... in residence. I met a couple of pit bulls. Still, I did not at any point feel particularly threatened. Was it cookie cutter melanin-challenged uber suburbia ... of course not. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit