U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM

2,463 posts, read 1,759,066 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear your experience/review on the major Downtown hospitals in regards to delivery, pregnancy and the whole process linked to babies being born. I am looking for a serious OBGYN for potential pregnancy

I mentioned the above 3 hospitals because everyone I know in my area seem to utilize one of the 3 large hospitals. They all have positive things to say about their hospital and most have used the same place for their 2nd baby assuming their insurance allowed it. The only impression I have is as visitor and I found DMC to be the most annoying because I had to pay for parking vs. the other 2 were free. But that is not serious reason to decide

From what I have noticed based on minimal interaction with the following hospitals
  • Beaumont Royal Oak - seems to have the best over all reputation and has an aura of class/luxury. I don't know if there service is any different than other place but it looks nicer/fancier when you walk in. Much quieter atmosphere. But I want to know if all the "glitter is gold". My brother and cousins used this place along with few friends for multiple kids each
  • Hurtzel women's Health - Being a hospital totally dedicated to women makes me wonder if this is the best/obvious choice. I do know many of (DMC's) patience are lower income, using government insurance. I don't know if this reduces their service because they aren't utilized by rich folks (I am guessing Medicare pays less money). Most people who went to DMC went there because that's the only place that would take them except few friends who went there because they absolutely loved their doctor
  • Henry Ford Downtown- seems to be middle of the ground and most common choice for many people I know. Haven't heard anything bad this hospital. I honestly don't have too much opinion on this, I visited few people there but that's it.
I would like to hear your input and recommendation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,742,410 times
Having a baby, while life changing to you, is normal to hospitals - like making a burger for a fast food restaurant.

You'll be 100% fine whichever one you go to. There are people on this forum born at all three and you'll just hear anecdotally about which is best.

I'd choose the one that's closest to your house &/or has the best insurance plans for you (i.e. coverage). It'll be easier for follow up visits etc. Congrats!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:35 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,347,071 times
I have a stepdaughter who is a pediatric nurse at Beaumont Royal Oak. She delivered all 4 of her kids there including twins 2 weeks ago.
My daughter here in Ann Arbor who takes her kids to U of M for 99% of their needs went to Beaumont Royal Oak when her oldest son needed brain surgery for a Chiari Malformation.

Belleislerunner has a good point that baby delivery is pretty normal for hospitals. Things rarely go wrong.
But if something were to go wrong during labor I'd rather my loved ones be at Beaumont Royal Oak.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
My wife and I just had a baby at Beaumont Royal Oak. Baby is happy and healthy today, so is "Mom". No issues. Everyone was friendly enough and it was an interesting observation that the entire staff that I encountered was female (I know, it shouldn't matter, but it probably does, for mom). As Dad I enjoyed the Starbucks and fancy eateries in the lobby, also there's a super fancy indoor-atrium that I spent some time entertaining our toddler in, and most importantly the staff was very receptive to my presence. An interesting note is that there is no nursery for healthy babies. Baby was in Mom's room the whole time, which wasn't an issue, but was a departure from our first kid.

I don't know, like belleisle and craig said - a birth isn't exactly brain surgery, your body literally evolved (or designed, depending on your religious leanings) to make babies. I'm sure things will work out regardless of what you pick. Don't sweat it and maybe ask for an estimated pricing breakdown. See if that guides your decision.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 AM

157 posts, read 108,658 times
We too had our first baby at Beaumont Royal Oak. Was extremely satisfied. They when we were having our one delivered, they had their computer systems down for maintenance, so they had a nurse in our room full time.

I would recommend Generations OB/GYN in Birmingham for pregnancy. Try to see if you can get Dr McCloskey. Such a nice doctor. Nothing against all other doctors in that practice ( they are awesome too), but she was great during the complex delivery.

A few friends had the delivery at Beaumont , Troy. Pretty nice experience there also. the rooms were much bigger than Royal Oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or