U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,822,569 times

Advertisements

I'm sure all the Bernie voting kale-eating snowflakes moaning on this thread NEVER shop at a chain store and ONLY purchase reusable, recyclable, ethically-sourced, organic products purchased from an independent store owned by Ma and Pa Flanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,810,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I'm sure all the Bernie voting kale-eating snowflakes moaning on this thread NEVER shop at a chain store and ONLY purchase reusable, recyclable, ethically-sourced, organic products purchased from an independent store owned by Ma and Pa Flanders.
The ones here in Livingston County do. at least the ones I associate with do. We even all met at the local gun range (by the way there are like 6 here in the SE corner) for some #45 target shooting and I tried out my new S & W M&P 2.0...it is a beauty.

Most of us shop at the Salvation Army, though it has severe right tendencies,it is far better that Wally's World and we even shop at the local Habitat Store.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The ones here in Livingston County do. at least the ones I associate with do. We even all met at the local gun range (by the way there are like 6 here in the SE corner) for some #45 target shooting and I tried out my new S & W M&P 2.0...it is a beauty.

Most of us shop at the Salvation Army, though it has severe right tendencies,it is far better that Wally's World and we even shop at the local Habitat Store.
I just can't imagine how miserable one has to be in order to be so triggered by driving past a Home Depot that they rush to a message board to write a lengthy post about it. Ditto for the rest of the pearl clutchers who are simply aghast at the existence of STORES! *fans self*

Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times
Quote:
I just can't imagine how miserable one has to be in order to be so triggered by driving past a Home Depot that they rush to a message board to write a lengthy post about it. Ditto for the rest of the pearl clutchers who are simply aghast at the existence of STORES! *fans self*
Certainly not much more miserable or triggered than those who while posting on a message board come across something they disagree with and have to post an ad hominem attack about those holding an opinion which conflicts with their own? Wait, is this post self-referential Aw, crap.

The point is big box stores still appeal to some, but have lost their mainstream appeal with others. Objectively speaking they're a relic of mid/late 20th century car-centric urban planning and as online shopping replaces some of them, suburbs which overdeveloped big box retail districts will not age well unless they find good use for the coming vacancies (see older car-centric suburbs and the decline of the American shopping mall). This will be especially pronounced in areas where shopping consists strictly of big-box stores without an option of downtown districts populated by locally owned downtown storfronts, which will continue to draw niche markets and foot traffic due to proximity to things which have not yet been replaced by the internet (parks, city services, libraries, quirky restaurants/pubs) but what do I know? I'm probably high on avocados and quinoa

Old 06-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Certainly not much more miserable or triggered than those who while posting on a message board come across something they disagree with and have to post an ad hominem attack about those holding an opinion which conflicts with their own? Wait, is this post self-referential Aw, crap.

The point is big box stores still appeal to some, but have lost their mainstream appeal with others. Objectively speaking they're a relic of mid/late 20th century car-centric urban planning and as online shopping replaces some of them, suburbs which overdeveloped big box retail districts will not age well unless they find good use for the coming vacancies (see older car-centric suburbs and the decline of the American shopping mall). This will be especially pronounced in areas where shopping consists strictly of big-box stores without an option of downtown districts populated by locally owned downtown storfronts, which will continue to draw niche markets and foot traffic due to proximity to things which have not yet been replaced by the internet (parks, city services, libraries, quirky restaurants/pubs) but what do I know? I'm probably high on avocados and quinoa
Will this sudden apocalypse occur before or after we all simultaneously abandon our cars for autonomous ride sharing platforms?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,077,960 times
Just want to add that as much as I am delighted with online shopping, there is very often no substitute for seeing an item in person, feeling the fabric, checking the heft and durability. Too difficult to determine quality online. I like big box stores, as they can be very convenient when you have a lot of shopping to do.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,937,484 times
Quote:
Will this sudden apocalypse occur before or after we all simultaneously abandon our cars for autonomous ride sharing platforms?
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but if you are, this is a blatant straw man argument. Please carefully reread my previous post and attempt another response.

...except that part about avocados and quinoa, there's certainly some sort of fallacy there too, but it was an attempt at whimsical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit