Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:58 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times

Advertisements

I've been meaning to make a thread about this a few weeks ago to see what you guys think Detroit considers closing part of Woodward Avenue for pedestrian block | MLive.com

It looks like a pretty dumb idea to me. I'm sorry, I don't like it, why Woodward and Jefferson? why not some tiny side street? Most people still drive and it seems like more of a inconvenience then a pleasure. Especially when there's Hart Plaza and the riverwalk a block away and Campus Martius a few blocks the other direction. I haven't been downtown in almost a month so I don't know first hand what it looks like yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 09:44 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,150 times
They closed-off Woodward for a block between Jefferson & Larned. It really doesn't seem like it did anything negative for traffic.

The street grid in that area is so under-utilized as it is it really didn't cause any congestion or issues. It doesn't impede traffic on Jefferson. In fact, it might make traffic flow better on Jefferson without the turning traffic.

They've basically put up temporary barricades, put some colorfully painted designs on the street, and put some tables/chairs and other things.

I haven't really walked around that area during lunchtime but I'm curious if its getting much use. Granted its adjacent to the Q-line end point.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
They closed-off Woodward for a block between Jefferson & Larned. It really doesn't seem like it did anything negative for traffic.

The street grid in that area is so under-utilized as it is it really didn't cause any congestion or issues. It doesn't impede traffic on Jefferson. In fact, it might make traffic flow better on Jefferson without the turning traffic.

They've basically put up temporary barricades, put some colorfully painted designs on the street, and put some tables/chairs and other things.

I haven't really walked around that area during lunchtime but I'm curious if its getting much use. Granted its adjacent to the Q-line end point.
That's good. I'm hearing from some people who work there that it was a clusterfu*k during rush hour. Lots of confused people.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
I haven't been out to see it, either. (Too hot lately- I've been hibernating in the office, lol.)

While I question the decision, part of me hopes it prevents me from getting run over crossing Woodward in front of the Chase building. For whatever reason people traveling toward Jefferson seem to think that the light at Campus Martius is optional. Since they are now heading to an almost dead in, maybe I will have fewer near death experiences...

Where has Gilbert stuck his plethora of shuttle buses waiting to take his employees out to their cars in New Center? They are usually parked all around 1 Detroit. This has to have effected them.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
It is hideous and was very poorly implemented. Some sidewalk chalk, garbage cans and a couple of trees from Lowes. Gilbert did a much better job up Woodward

Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
It is hideous and was very poorly implemented. Some sidewalk chalk, garbage cans and a couple of trees from Lowes. Gilbert did a much better job up Woodward
I thought that it was not permanent. More of a test like they did on Randolph in front of Buffalo Wild Wings. If they make it permanent, I'd suspect it would be nicer.

Again, still haven't meandered down there despite today being gorgeous! I did notice there are more food trucks. Nice to have more options for lunch.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I have been too sick to get out there, but I like the concept.

Campus Martius is getting over crowded at lunch time, so it is a good idea to spread things out a bit. I used to really enjoy the variety the food trucks brought, but waiting over half an hour in line to buy a $12 sandwich and go hunt for a place to sit to eat it does not really appeal to me. I guess I am getting old. Hopefully spreading out to Woodward will make the food trucks a bit more practical again.

Hopefully they will add a stage and have music there too. That will help spread out the C.M. crowd some and give more performers a chance to exhibit their skills.

Someday, they need to find a way to tie the Ren Cen into the rest of the city if that is possible. Maybe a corridor of food and shops form hart plaza to this Woodward plaza would work. They would need to build a deck over part of Jefferson for it to work, (just leave Jefferson in a tunnel a bit longer.) WCCC made good use of the old railroad bridges over the freeway. If they did the same thing and created an outdoor shop area to tie the Ren Cen to the City, it might help correct the Ren Cen mistake. (or it may just be a monumental waste of money).

Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I thought that it was not permanent. More of a test like they did on Randolph in front of Buffalo Wild Wings. If they make it permanent, I'd suspect it would be nicer.

Again, still haven't meandered down there despite today being gorgeous! I did notice there are more food trucks. Nice to have more options for lunch.
It's a 90 day thing, but as proof of concept it is kind of silly. Badly painted street art, a bunch of trash cans and cheap picnic tables. They need to steer people out of One Woodward, the Coleman Young Building and the surrounding offices to make this permanent (something that I would enjoy, honestly) but you can't adequately do that on such notice imo. Hopefully more work is put in if this is approved to tie Woodward to the Riverfront.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,150 times
I have wondered why they don't just fully close-off all of Caddilac Square and make that a pedestrian-only street.
They already close-off the one section in the summer months, they should just make it permenant all the way to Randolph.

I mean you have to laugh at the absurd amount of street capacity in the CBD compared to most major cities. Try driving down the streets in downtown Chicago or New York compared to our free-flowing, empty, traffic/congestion free streets.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I have wondered why they don't just fully close-off all of Caddilac Square and make that a pedestrian-only street.
They already close-off the one section in the summer months, they should just make it permenant all the way to Randolph.

I mean you have to laugh at the absurd amount of street capacity in the CBD compared to most major cities. Try driving down the streets in downtown Chicago or New York compared to our free-flowing, empty, traffic/congestion free streets.
Well one major difference is the street grid network in Chi and NYC or even Philly, every street downtown is basically a major street because every one of their streets is like the rest of Detroit where even the side streets go on for miles. Downtown Detroit on the other hand, most of downtown Detroit's streets go like a few blocks long before it ends. There are not too many streets in downtown Detroit that go all the way through the downtown. This imo is going to be somewhat of a problem in the future.

And then the other thing is obviously there are far more people not only working but LIVING downtown. With all the parking lots in downtown, downtown Detroit should have 50,000 residents. Look what happened to Center City in Philly after they kept moving people in, in order for downtown Detroit to get to that next level it needs more residents in and near downtown. That in turn will create a ton of demand for more retail, food, services, ect and even more jobs downtown. Don't get me wrong, I don't want downtown Detroit to be as congested as Manhattan, hell no! at least not until we got better transportation options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: