U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-30-2017, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,761,555 times
Reputation: 3838

Advertisements

Long time reader, first time caller.

Coming into the D with the family (3 teenage girls) this Sunday and Monday, have a Tigers game on Sunday at 1:10 (vs Cleveland), staying at the Ft Shelby/Doubletree Sunday night. Can stay Monday until whenever.

I feel really stupid asking for things to do with the fam, being that I'm a lifetime Michigander who has been to downtown Detroit for business, but ideas would be great!

Thinking to hit the Eastern Market
Shopping, all the women in my life like to shop
Riverwalk? People Mover? Light rail ride?

Thanks guys and gals. Excited for the trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Reputation: 32973
DIA

Midtown

DPL

Belle Isle Three teenage girls would enjoy watching the DBC crew guys training. The Aquarium is pretty cool, The martime museum are very intersting, nut not exciting.

Check the theaters for what is on. Fox, Gem, Detroit opera House, Fisher,I am missing some, , , ,try even Bonstelle or Hillberry

On Fridays Campus Martius is fun and hopping..Live music, games, lots of stuff going on Pretty sure the quicken sponsored games are open to the public, What they have varies. Just hang out at the beach and people watch and listen to music for a whille.

Woodward from campus martius to the stadiums. Some neat places great buildings and a few shops

Guardian Building Lobby Only takes a few minutes, but they will remember it

The puppet theater is actually kind of cool (or maybe creepy, depends on you, still it is cool)

For Shopping, take them to troy to somerset unkess they want to buy something then meyers

Greektown - coldstone

People move is more exciting than Q line. It goes faster even if it does nto go anywhere, Q line is just a lot of waiting.

take them to dinner on the detroit Princess

Go down to Wyandotte and do a Kayak tour

There are some detroit tours you can take from downtown, I think they are free. Some sound really interesting

Rent bikes on riverwalk,

DNR OUtdoor Center.

Detroit Scuence center,

Ren Cen can be interstimg to explore if you have never seen it Not much there though. Maybe there will be a convention

Fort Wayne is pretty neat if you can get a tour, not sure when they do them

Do they like jazz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,761,555 times
Reputation: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
DIA

Midtown

DPL

Belle Isle Three teenage girls would enjoy watching the DBC crew guys training. The Aquarium is pretty cool, The martime museum are very intersting, nut not exciting.

Check the theaters for what is on. Fox, Gem, Detroit opera House, Fisher,I am missing some, , , ,try even Bonstelle or Hillberry

On Fridays Campus Martius is fun and hopping..Live music, games, lots of stuff going on Pretty sure the quicken sponsored games are open to the public, What they have varies. Just hang out at the beach and people watch and listen to music for a whille.

Woodward from campus martius to the stadiums. Some neat places great buildings and a few shops

Guardian Building Lobby Only takes a few minutes, but they will remember it

The puppet theater is actually kind of cool (or maybe creepy, depends on you, still it is cool)

For Shopping, take them to troy to somerset unkess they want to buy something then meyers

Greektown - coldstone

People move is more exciting than Q line. It goes faster even if it does nto go anywhere, Q line is just a lot of waiting.

take them to dinner on the detroit Princess

Go down to Wyandotte and do a Kayak tour

There are some detroit tours you can take from downtown, I think they are free. Some sound really interesting

Rent bikes on riverwalk,

DNR OUtdoor Center.

Detroit Scuence center,

Ren Cen can be interstimg to explore if you have never seen it Not much there though. Maybe there will be a convention

Fort Wayne is pretty neat if you can get a tour, not sure when they do them

Do they like jazz?
No, I would say they do NOT like jazz.

I had assumed we'd end up at Somerset or IKEA (I'm not doing both lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,810,585 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Long time reader, first time caller.

Coming into the D with the family (3 teenage girls) this Sunday and Monday, have a Tigers game on Sunday at 1:10 (vs Cleveland), staying at the Ft Shelby/Doubletree Sunday night. Can stay Monday until whenever.

I feel really stupid asking for things to do with the fam, being that I'm a lifetime Michigander who has been to downtown Detroit for business, but ideas would be great!

Thinking to hit the Eastern Market
Shopping, all the women in my life like to shop
Riverwalk? People Mover? Light rail ride?

Thanks guys and gals. Excited for the trip!
Eastern Market and Riverwalk and/or Belle Isle for sure. Greektown especially at night is fun.

For shopping Somerset and Great Lakes. Great Lakes Crossing mall is more affordable, huge, and family friendly (they have Sealife Aquarium, Legoland, and a movie theater inside of there as well). Somerset is more of a high end shoppers paradise. You guys could check out both if you have time (like all day).

The light rail is free up until September I think so if you have time it's worth the ride. I only used it twice which was last weekend. The wait wasn't that long to me (no longer than 5 minutes) but they also seemed to have more trains running because of the Riverfest so that's most likely why I didn't have an issue. Both trains will put you within walking distance of alot of museums, architecture, and restaurant. You guys could try to get on a boat as well.

What does your family like to do for fun? There's also alot of events, amusement centers, swimming, ect as well. I can narrow some of the things you guys are interested in down for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2017, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Windsor Ontario/Colchester Ontario
1,530 posts, read 1,467,990 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
No, I would say they do NOT like jazz.

I had assumed we'd end up at Somerset or IKEA (I'm not doing both lol).
Teenage girls? Definitely Sometset!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2017, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids Metro
8,872 posts, read 17,761,555 times
Reputation: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Eastern Market and Riverwalk and/or Belle Isle for sure. Greektown especially at night is fun.

For shopping Somerset and Great Lakes. Great Lakes Crossing mall is more affordable, huge, and family friendly (they have Sealife Aquarium, Legoland, and a movie theater inside of there as well). Somerset is more of a high end shoppers paradise. You guys could check out both if you have time (like all day).

The light rail is free up until September I think so if you have time it's worth the ride. I only used it twice which was last weekend. The wait wasn't that long to me (no longer than 5 minutes) but they also seemed to have more trains running because of the Riverfest so that's most likely why I didn't have an issue. Both trains will put you within walking distance of alot of museums, architecture, and restaurant. You guys could try to get on a boat as well.

What does your family like to do for fun? There's also alot of events, amusement centers, swimming, ect as well. I can narrow some of the things you guys are interested in down for you.
The girls are into sports (running, softball, golf) and theater. An odd combination I know. Can you get into Fox Theatre during the day when there aren't shows going on? I like the idea of jumping on the Q-line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top