U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:42 PM

4,719 posts, read 8,564,012 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your statements!

I think what a lot of people don't realize is things can always get worse - from the frying pan to the fire.

Some guys may see low test scores (expected with demographics) and saw "those guys are overpaid, they are doing a terrible job, bring in this new company" and then things completely deteriorate. Sometimes you must accept "poor performance" from whoever is in charge now, because if you fire and bring in unqualified new people/new management you cause a worse problem.

Only change things if you are confident that it will be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Really? It hurt the brain to see the school from the inside. The 3rd floor was not used. When Leona took over, the teachers were told to "Search"for anything they needed. The whole 3rd floor was open season. Classrooms were all filled with books. Computer. and what ever the HP teachers left when they walked out that last day.
The 3rd floor was also the freshman and sophomore class offices. Records were just dumped on the floor. The radio station was destroyed. To make matters worse, the doors to the 3rd floor were never locked so there was no way of knowing who was up there or who did the vandalism.

The below grade floor, where the science classes were and what used to be a really nice lecture hall, typically had 2--3 inches of water in the center classrooms. The science labs still had a few nice scales and lab specimens in the refrigerator.

What had once been a great ROTC program was just trashed due to funding cuts.

One day, as the snow melted, the counselor area in the basement level was flooded with what had top be 100 gallons of water. Files and documents were floating--the majority were special education papers. And the only other functioning copy machine in the building.

When I started in September 2012, the enrollment was just about 600(?) By December I believe it was down to about 400.

Teachers were buying line paper,pencils, toner for their printers (some even bought their own printer as the copy machine in the main office was off limits for most teachers).

The state appointed superintendent left around December and was appointed to an EM position in Allen Park I believe.

I could not stay through the end of the 2012-2013 year (nor did many teachers).

The majority of teachers there were great and doing an all but impossible job. Those who really tried (a science teacher from Africa who held several degrees, including a Ph.D I believe), did an outstanding job--until they fired him for some cranked up allegations of being incompetent (aka asking for support and supplies I think).

I really cannot give more details without giving my position away....I do not trust Leona Group to hunt me down and make my new position hell..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 12:16 AM

One more thing: It seems like DPCSD does not provide bus transportation to high school students. How to Enroll - Detroit Public Schools Community District - Under "High Schools":

Quote:
Transportation Bus passes are provided for high school students living beyond 1.5 miles from the their assigned neighborhood school.
In a car-oriented city like Detroit, one with poor public transportation, this would be a huge problem.

While it's common for school districts in more "traditional" urban areas like New York City and Philadelphia to ask high schoolers to use public transportation, that's okay because the systems are so robust. Most sunbelt school districts like Houston Independent School District give high schoolers school bus routes too. Not doing so in Detroit puts a burden on them.

Based on this alone I would strongly recommend DPSCD change the "default school"/"zoned school"/"neighborhood school" of Highland Park to Central. If/when Highland Park Schools school district is dissolved, with the territory absorbed by DPSCD, it could move Central to a building in Highland Park as long as its physical shape/the safety of the surrounding area work out.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:09 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,292,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
One more thing: It seems like DPCSD does not provide bus transportation to high school students. How to Enroll - Detroit Public Schools Community District - Under "High Schools":

In a car-oriented city like Detroit, one with poor public transportation, this would be a huge problem.

While it's common for school districts in more "traditional" urban areas like New York City and Philadelphia to ask high schoolers to use public transportation, that's okay because the systems are so robust. Most sunbelt school districts like Houston Independent School District give high schoolers school bus routes too. Not doing so in Detroit puts a burden on them.

Based on this alone I would strongly recommend DPSCD change the "default school"/"zoned school"/"neighborhood school" of Highland Park to Central. If/when Highland Park Schools school district is dissolved, with the territory absorbed by DPSCD, it could move Central to a building in Highland Park as long as its physical shape/the safety of the surrounding area work out.
High School and even some middle school students taking the city buses to get to school has been common in the city of Detroit for decades. This is because a lot of students didn't/don't attend the high school that is in or near their neighborhood. Often, a kid that lived on the west side, went to a high school on the east side. It was also very common for Detroit high school students to attend 2 or 3 different high schools during their 4-year (or less) high school tenure. This was just the culture in the city.

This "going to a school outside of your neighborhood" culture was the result of the 1970's ruling to desegregate the schools, which sometimes had people from the east side going to schools on the west side to achieve the racial balance. But after the white folks all bailed, this custom should have been stopped.

That being said, I do agree that Central should be the default high school.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:35 PM

If there's additional funds pumped into DPSCD, it may help to extend busing to magnet school students at all levels.

In HISD people who are officially a part of a "magnet program" also get school bus transport if the magnet school is more than two miles away: this is true from elementary to high school. Transportation / Student Eligibility

If parents transfer but are not a part of a magnet program then they don't get free bus services; for example all students in the Wisdom High zone (a school full of low income, recent immigrant students) may transfer to Lamar High or Westside High. This is because some very wealthy communities are in the Wisdom zone, and hell would freeze over before the wealthier parents would put their children in Wisdom. However the people who take those transfers don't get free bus services. If they join Lamar's Business Administration magnet program or the Magnet for Integrated Technology program at Westside, though, they do get free bus services.

In Houston it's common for parents who want a better school for their kids and/or a school that better suits their kids needs to have the kids enrolled in magnet school. My sister and I never went to our "zoned" elementary and middle schools, and while she went to her zoned high school, I did not. My mother believed that my sister's high school suited her well but that mine suited me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
High School and even some middle school students taking the city buses to get to school has been common in the city of Detroit for decades. This is because a lot of students didn't/don't attend the high school that is in or near their neighborhood. Often, a kid that lived on the west side, went to a high school on the east side. It was also very common for Detroit high school students to attend 2 or 3 different high schools during their 4-year (or less) high school tenure. This was just the culture in the city.

This "going to a school outside of your neighborhood" culture was the result of the 1970's ruling to desegregate the schools, which sometimes had people from the east side going to schools on the west side to achieve the racial balance. But after the white folks all bailed, this custom should have been stopped.

That being said, I do agree that Central should be the default high school.

Last edited by Vicman; 07-05-2017 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or