Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,806 times

Advertisements

Right now I live in a one-bedroom near Grand Circus Park. Rent is around $1400/mo, so I'm considering moving to Southfield/Oak Park (near Greenfield & Lincoln) to save money. After moving costs, I'm likely to save about $4,000 this year if I choose to move. It's hard to leave downtown with the new developments and with Little Caesars Arena opening up within a 10min walk of my place, but I'm not convinced living in the city is worth the extra costs.

Is it worth it leaving downtown for the Southfield/Oak Park area? Or should I stick it out? I'm not really strapped for cash, but I'm not saving as much as I should be either. Open to any and all arguments.

Side note: I work in Dearborn, so the commute is fairly similar aside from the Southfield freeway congestion.

Last edited by yoyomed; 06-26-2017 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,642,799 times
Oak Park actually has some pretty cool little areas for the price, and depending on where you decide to live you can be walking distance from Downtown Ferndale or Downtown Berkley, a short drive to Royal Oak, and a 15 minute drive to Downtown Detroit.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,545,710 times
That really depends on what you're looking to gain (aside from the monetary savings). I'm sort of assuming you're an unmarried young person otherwise I would assume you don't mind suburban living. Do you want to be walking distance to a plethora of activities and events or do you want a sleepy suburb where you'd have to drive to most places?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,843,823 times
Pretty much what the above poster said. You also have to factor in the amount you will likely be spending on gas to go places, pay for parking, ect vs living downtown. Have you considered finding apartments elsewhere in the downtown area that are a bit cheaper?

Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,220,694 times
Why not move to Dearborn if that is where you work?
If people typically make 10 trips a week for work minimizing that commute saves you time and money.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 AM

12 posts, read 17,485 times
I bought a home in Oak Park a year ago, and have found it to be incredibly convenient to anywhere in the metro area, including downtown. The housing is affordable, but there certainly isn't much walkability, which would be a sacrifice for you coming from downtown. But, I am a quick drive or Uber ride from downtown Ferndale or Royal Oak. My office is in Warren so the commute is easy.

Also, I think the city leadership is doing a good job, and is committed to making Oak Park more attractive to individuals/families and businesses. I think the outlook is good. I would recommend it.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM

12 posts, read 17,485 times
Any decisions yet, yoyomed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit