U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:20 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,828,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
I think whats going on in Berkley is the new bars attract a younger, hipper crowd and the older blue-collar workers who have been there for 30 years feel like they are being pushed out or that the city has ignored the "old-timers" in favor of people who arent originally from there, havent shared their experiences, and maybe dont fully understand the old-timers . Its a form of gentrification.
Speaking for the old pharts in Berkley, I don't think that "old-timers" feel that they're being pushed out but rather they didn't expect a twenty-something bar to open up down the street from their homes. Grandpa and Grandma, who've lived there for 30 or 40 years, are suddenly living in the parking lot of a bar.

The prime example is the Vinsetta Garage restaurant/bar, which opened in the past few years. I've never been there, they tell me it's nice (Joe Walsh tells me). But there's a huge parking issue - valets for the restaurant park the customer cars on the residential streets near the place, ticking off the home owners who now have lost their street front parking, who have to navigate their now congested home street, and occasionally deal with tipsy/noisy patrons walking back to their cars late at night when they skipped the valet and parked on their own. The Vinsetta Garage owners bought up four or so houses behind their restaurant to build a parking lot, but the home owners shut them down at the rezoning board meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,825,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Speaking for the old pharts in Berkley, I don't think that "old-timers" feel that they're being pushed out but rather they didn't expect a twenty-something bar to open up down the street from their homes. Grandpa and Grandma, who've lived there for 30 or 40 years, are suddenly living in the parking lot of a bar.

The prime example is the Vinsetta Garage restaurant/bar, which opened in the past few years. I've never been there, they tell me it's nice (Joe Walsh tells me). But there's a huge parking issue - valets for the restaurant park the customer cars on the residential streets near the place, ticking off the home owners who now have lost their street front parking, who have to navigate their now congested home street, and occasionally deal with tipsy/noisy patrons walking back to their cars late at night when they skipped the valet and parked on their own. The Vinsetta Garage owners bought up four or so houses behind their restaurant to build a parking lot, but the home owners shut them down at the rezoning board meeting.
That entire deal is such a mess. How did they get a permit to open a restaurant without providing adequate parking!?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:31 PM

5,114 posts, read 4,828,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
That entire deal is such a mess. How did they get a permit to open a restaurant without providing adequate parking!?
My guess is an overeager zoning board, looking to increase the property tax base.

To the restaurant owner's credit, he is known for running desirable restaurants and did make an attempt to resolve the parking issue by buying up houses adjacent to the property, tearing down the houses, and creating a large parking lot.

But again, Grandma and Grandpa have been living in the local neighborhood for decades and didn't plan on suddenly living next to the parking lot of a restaurant/bar.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:36 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,825,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
My guess is an overeager zoning board, looking to increase the property tax base.

To the restaurant owner's credit, he is known for running desirable restaurants and did make an attempt to resolve the parking issue by buying up houses adjacent to the property, tearing down the houses, and creating a large parking lot.

But again, Grandma and Grandpa have been living in the local neighborhood for decades and didn't plan on suddenly living next to the parking lot of a restaurant/bar.
I've eaten there a few times and it's very good. I just felt like a total jerk parking in the neighborhood.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM

142 posts, read 118,358 times
I generally think gentrification is positive. Look at Hamtramck. The population was down to 18,000 when the Polish community was dying off or moving north to Macomb County. It started looking kind of tired in places. Now, the Bangladeshi and Yemanese communities have been flocking there and the population rose to 23,000 without even annexing extra land. Gas stations and old warehouses became ethnic food centers. The tax base goes up as infill housing and new shops go in to acccomodate new residents.
But I think the problem some people have is that it can divide a community. With a place like Berkley, 20 years ago there may have been a lot of people in the service industry or industrial. If the owner of a siding installation company lives next door to a welder, those guys might hit it off pretty well. If the welder sells his house to a web designer who grew up in Rochester Hills, they may not have the same kind of closeness and mutual understanding. They live different lives and came from different places.Maybe its a generation gap, maybe also an income or education difference.
I remember in the 1990s, there were a lot of small 1920s-40s bungalows in Birmingham, West of Woodward between 14 Mile and Lincoln. Almost all are gone now. but you would see $600,000 houses going up next to an 800 square foot house with an old car in the driveway. You still see that East of Woodward on streets like Holland and webster. Old, semi-dirty looking bungalows with a Buick in the driveway where an old man has lived for 40 years. Next door and across the street are half-million dollar homes with BMWs. The people in the half-million dollar homes cant wait until a builder finally gets ahold of the bungalow to replace it, and the old man is upset that "his" neighborhood has drastically changed. I sympathize with those who watch their neighborhood completely change around them, but I also realize that the new demographics are what keeps an area and its tax base stable or even improves them. You have a divided community of very different people of different generations, and then some. Unfortunately, a situation like that could be prone to resentment. How do both sides win in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or