Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 585 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I recently relocated to the Detroit area. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on job searching. I am in the finance/business area, and am finding it difficult to job search without any personal connections!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 11:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
I understand what your going through. You have to be a little patient as alot of people who first move to Detroit have trouble breaking into the job market at first (for whatever reason). My advice to you is just keep grinding, make sure your resume is straight, go to every temp agency and Michigan works, make an account at every job site (Careerbuilder, Indeed, Monster, ect) I think even facebook has job postings and stuff now (I don't know how to get to it but some of my friends have used it). If you need to, get a part time job for now, there's plenty of those in the area. Once you get a job even if it's part time or temp, keep applying because it will then be easier for you to get interviews. Idk why but that's my experience.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quicken Loans.

If you cannot get hired at Quicken Loans - you are probably unemployable. They seem to be always hiring.

Our governments could use some help with finances. County, City, Airport ect. However I think they pay minimum wage for professional positions.

How much do you need to make? There are tons of jobs for cleaning people, drivers, various mechanics/repair persons and the like. Most pay around $10/hour. Most are part time, but you can often put together two 30 hour a week jobs and get 60 hours a week. That is $600 per week, you can survive on that, probably (at least if you do not get sick or need a filling).

Can you go back to school and get an engineering degree? Huge demand there.

If you get lucky, you might get something in Construction management. The learning jobs do not pay super well but if you become a good Project Manager, you are golden. I know at least some of our people and one or more interns are finance majors.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
What specific types of positions are you looking for? How much experience do you have in your field? What is your experience in? What is your education level? All factors that will determine how employable you are.

I would recommend looking into local chapters of professional associations within your field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: