U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,931,470 times

Advertisements

So... I'm curious as to how the long-time Detroiters feel about this. Coming from Salt Lake seeing your city's economy doing well is not really a new thing to me, is this all pretty strange? New? Unique? I mean, Michigan economy was bad for decades, no? Seeing Grand Rapids topping the list and Detroit edging up toward the top, that's got to be pretty exciting, yeah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:13 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,802,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
So... I'm curious as to how the long-time Detroiters feel about this. Coming from Salt Lake seeing your city's economy doing well is not really a new thing to me, is this all pretty strange? New? Unique? I mean, Michigan economy was bad for decades, no? Seeing Grand Rapids topping the list and Detroit edging up toward the top, that's got to be pretty exciting, yeah?
No Michigan's economy was pretty decent up until the Mid-late 2000's. And yes it is exciting for those of us who know about it. Unfortunately, most people in Detroit or Michigan does not know about this. Which is quite sad because the whole freaking world knew when Detroit's economy crashed. And most of America is still under the impression that Michigan is still in that economic state. But it's not they're fault that these type of stories get minimal attention even from the local media.

Ask anybody in Michigan who they think has the better or faster growing economy right now between Detroit and Houston and 95% of the time I bet they say Houston by far. At this point it's going to take the millionaires and billionaires of Detroit to pay the national media to print positive press about Detroit lol although it sounds silly I think this is being done in quite a few cities.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 AM

979 posts, read 1,116,246 times
The economy in Metro Detroit from about 1994-2001 was roaring. This was back in the days when everyone was fat, dumb, and happy. The auto manufacturers were in the midst of the SUV craze, building obscene numbers of mid-sized SUVs and pick-up trucks, the baby-boomers were some of their peak spending/consumerism years, labor contracts were at the peak in terms of comp/benefits, the homebuilding industry was pumping out huge numbers of McMansions in Novi, Shelby, Macomb, Rochester Hills, and everyone thought the stock market would never stop and they'd be able to retire in their early 50s.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:05 AM

24,563 posts, read 25,358,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Houston and Oil is like Detroit and Cars. As long as oil prices remain this low.....Houston and other Oil related cities are going to suffer.

I am surprised, like you, about Pittsburgh, but not so much the other places. The reason that Pittsburgh leaves me dumbfounded is that it sits in a gorgeous area, it has the density and walk-ability that so many millennials covet. Pittsburgh is always talked about as having shed its old economy and is now firmly a tech city.....plus, the University of Pittsburgh and of course....Carnegie Mellon university. Notwithstanding, it keeps sporting population loss (the whole metro) and anemic economic growth .

I am not that surprised about the growth of the Detroit economy.....given how far it went down. Despite all the growth, I am not sure if the area has yet to regain all the jobs lost from the last recession. I think if they ever get that Gordy Howe bridge project started.....its going to create a ton of construction jobs split between American and Canadian workers, along with the Hudson Block and other construction projects....should have solid job growth in the area....barring a nation slow down in the economy.
Part of the Pittsburgh puzzle might come from it having coal mining fairly close by and that it tried to put a lot of resources into natural gas production. The last part was a sensible gamble if gas prices had stayed or exceeded its previous record levels, but they didn't.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:13 AM

4,486 posts, read 7,749,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
$35K for a Fusion? You must have let the salesman load that baby up with every available option. That's why I figure out exactly which option package I want (the base one) BEFORE I set foot in a dealership. And don't even try and sell me on the extended warrantly.
It must have been a hybrid with every conceivable option, down to the heated and cooled leather seats. I was in the market for a car earlier this year and was considering a new Fusion because I had been so happy with the older Fusion I was trading in, and the ones I looked at had a sticker price in the mid-$20,000s, still a hefty chunk of change, IMHO, for a nice but smallish Ford sedan. I ended up buying a gently used 2016 Fusion with very low miles and all the options I need (it's transportation, I'm not going to live in my car) for $15,000 and so far it's been a peach and it looks brand new. Buying used may not help the new car economy but it makes fiscal sense to working class people like me.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,931,470 times
So I revisited this link and got to playing around with the data. I started looking at "small sized" metros. Michigan had 5 small-metro economies in the Top 20%ile of Most Improved Small Metro Economies:

Bay City
Flint
Jackson
Kalamazoo
Lansing

Yeah, Flint. A 0.8% growth (1.0% above 2015 levels). I did a double-take too. Bay City even landed a Top 10 spot. There's a lot of good things going on with the economy of the Great Lakes State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or