U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Michigan State Fair at Belle Isle?
Yes it would be a sucess 10 71.43%
No it would be a failure 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,817,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
The State Fair in Novi is not a real state fair. A real state fair, or any fair, IS OUTSIDE. It should not be located in an expo center. Fairs have rides, they are supposed to be something you spend a whole day in. Are you really spending a whole day at the Suburban Showplace?
Half of it is outside, half of it is inside. They have facilities dedicated to the fair such as horse stables that were built a couple of years ago. And there are plenty of rides and concerts that are outdoors. You could certainly spend an entire day there.

Maybe you should actually attend the state fair this year instead of posting falsehoods about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:01 PM

169 posts, read 131,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Uhh yea people give a rip about bringing weapons inside because guess what? they had police/ security with METAL DETECTORS making sure people didn't bring weapons inside, similar to when you go to sporting events or concerts. I know this because I WAS THERE big fella.
Police and metal detectors were making sure people didn't bring weapons inside what? Hart Plaza? The unintended victim was shot across the street. Those police obviously didn't deter the shooting, did they?

Quote:
And your post just proved exactly what I said in my last post where I said "the shootings that occurred were in other parts of downtown".
One shooting occurred across the street from Hart Plaza. That's not "other parts of downtown". That's literally 100 feet away from Hart Plaza. The other shooting occurred downtown. Does it really matter that they occurred "in other parts of downtown"? The fact remains that two shootings occurred during a fireworks show. There are consistent problems at the Detroit fireworks most years. You couldn't pay me to go down there with my family. I used to live downtown when I was single and I would go. Guess what. There were consistent problems, year in and year out 20 years ago too, whether it was a shooting, fights, or random mobs robbing people.

Quote:
There were also roughly 1 million people downtown which also happens to be a 1 square mile walkable area where alot of bars, clubs, and restaurants were packed. I mean I could easily post a bunch of news articles from other cities that had fights and even shootings at events that drew hundreds of thousands of people. Belle Isle could easily have security checkpoints before entering the park. Obviously alot of security/ police would be there.
That one million number is debatable and I think it's inflated. Anyway, it doesn't matter where it's at. I don't want to be a part of any event where violence is expected. I don't care if it's in Detroit or anywhere else.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Police and metal detectors were making sure people didn't bring weapons inside what? Hart Plaza? The unintended victim was shot across the street. Those police obviously didn't deter the shooting, did they?
The shooting didn't happen AT the actual event did it? no it happened NEAR it.

Quote:
One shooting occurred across the street from Hart Plaza. That's not "other parts of downtown". That's literally 100 feet away from Hart Plaza. The other shooting occurred downtown. Does it really matter that they occurred "in other parts of downtown"? The fact remains that two shootings occurred during a fireworks show. There are consistent problems at the Detroit fireworks most years. You couldn't pay me to go down there with my family. I used to live downtown when I was single and I would go. Guess what. There were consistent problems, year in and year out 20 years ago too, whether it was a shooting, fights, or random mobs robbing people.
When I said "Other parts of downtown" I was referring to outside of the actual event.

Quote:
That one million number is debatable and I think it's inflated. Anyway, it doesn't matter where it's at. I don't want to be a part of any event where violence is expected. I don't care if it's in Detroit or anywhere else.
Well take it up with the people who reported the numbers. And that could have happened rather a big event was going on nearby or not.

Quote:
But hopefully this event in the expo center in Novi will just be a temporary thing until a real fairgrounds can be built, in Novi or elsewhere.
Yea that's part of what made me start the whole thread. That location right there doesn't seem like it will be permanent if the state decides to start doing them again.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,294,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Half of it is outside, half of it is inside. They have facilities dedicated to the fair such as horse stables that were built a couple of years ago. And there are plenty of rides and concerts that are outdoors. You could certainly spend an entire day there.

Maybe you should actually attend the state fair this year instead of posting falsehoods about it.
I stand corrected.

I say bring it home - to the Fairgrounds or Belle Isle. It was located at the Fairgrounds for over 100 years. Y'all suburbanites and outstate people want to dismiss/discard history and traditions because you don't want to see any blight. Blight is the reality of a state that turned its back on its cities.

Surely, the neighborhoods to the south and east scared people away, even though the State Fair was within a walled compound and you had to pay an entrance fee to get in.

Maybe the state fair's 220,000 attendance in 2009 had to do with "The Great Recession"; maybe the fair wasn't being properly funded, or it was getting stale, and needed some re-imagining or re-programming or new rides. Plus, it was competing with other large festivals that took place at the same time: Woodward Dream Cruise and African World Festival.

About the state fair being stale and underfunded, please read from this MLive Article:

Quote:
"The 11-day Iowa State Fair drew about 970,000 this year. Along with typical fair fare, including 4-H livestock judging, a cow sculpted from butter, and chicken and husband calling contests, it had a musical lineup led by country music star Keith Urban and pop singer Sheryl Crow.

In contrast, the Michigan fair's top entertainers last year were the aging rockers in Starship and Survivor, along with Billy Squier. Several little-known country acts also performed."
Quote:
""We don't have any government support here, and that is critical to our success," he said.

The Minnesota State Agricultural Society controls the fairgrounds in Minneapolis, approves the $36 million budget, sets rates and raises money for the event. Last year, the fair drew 1.79 million people and made $1.5 million in profit."

Last edited by usroute10; 07-26-2017 at 12:28 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,817,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I stand corrected.

I say bring it home - to the Fairgrounds or Belle Isle. It was located at the Fairgrounds for over 100 years. Y'all suburbanites and outstate people want to dismiss/discard history and traditions because you don't want to see any blight. Blight is the reality of a state that turned its back on its cities.

Surely, the neighborhoods to the south and east scared people away, even though the State Fair was within a walled compound and you had to pay an entrance fee to get in.

Maybe the state fair's 220,000 attendance in 2009 had to do with "The Great Recession"; maybe the fair wasn't being properly funded, or it was getting stale, and needed some re-imagining or re-programming or new rides. Plus, it was competing with other large festivals that took place at the same time: Woodward Dream Cruise and African World Festival.

About the state fair being stale and underfunded, please read from this MLive Article:
You had to go the suburbs "stealing the crown jewels" route.

It was a defunct event that has been resurrected. They do a very nice job. That was my main point.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The shooting didn't happen AT the actual event did it? no it happened NEAR it.
Quote:
When I said "Other parts of downtown" I was referring to outside of the actual event.
The fireworks aren't exclusive to Hart Plaza, are they? So one of the shootings happened 100 feet away from Hart Plaza and another occurred several blocks away. That makes it all better. As long as you're within the fenced in confines of Hart Plaza, you're good. You may get shot walking there, but once you're there, you're good...

I'm not even sure what your point is. Is it that Hart Plaza didn't experience a shooting so we're supposed to cheer even though two shootings occurred downtown?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The fireworks aren't exclusive to Hart Plaza, are they? So one of the shootings happened 100 feet away from Hart Plaza and another occurred several blocks away. That makes it all better. As long as you're within the fenced in confines of Hart Plaza, you're good. You may get shot walking there, but once you're there, you're good...

I'm not even sure what your point is. Is it that Hart Plaza didn't experience a shooting so we're supposed to cheer even though two shootings occurred downtown?
Where did I say anything about cheering about no shootings at the riverwalk or Hart Plaza? I'm not sure what your trying to get at.

And your chances of getting shot there is less than 0.00001% unless your up there engaging in fights and arguments. You have a far higher chance of getting into a car accident then getting shot.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Where did I say anything about cheering about no shootings at the riverwalk or Hart Plaza? I'm not sure what your trying to get at.
What I'm getting at is that you keep stating that the shootings didn't occur at "the event", which I assume you mean within the confines of Hart Plaza. Who cares whether the shootings occurred within Hart Plaza or not? The Detroit fireworks is an event that encompasses a large area. Hart Plaza is a small venue in relation to downtown Detroit. I'm not sure what your point is when you keep saying that the shootings didn't occur at "the event", AKA: Hart Plaza. So what? Two shootings occurred downtown during the fireworks within a 5 block radius with police officers all around.

Quote:
And your chances of getting shot there is less than 0.00001% unless your up there engaging in fights and arguments. You have a far higher chance of getting into a car accident then getting shot.
I'm sure you'll post a source for that number.. . Tell that to the lady who was randomly shot in front of the Spirit of Detroit during the fireworks.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,294,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
You had to go the suburbs "stealing the crown jewels" route.

It was a defunct event that has been resurrected. They do a very nice job. That was my main point.
They do a good job. You are correct.

It is too bad, however, we have a 112-year old State Fairgrounds with historic buildings and a lot of history, that will never again host the State Fair because the people of the State of Michigan want nothing to do with the city of Detroit besides the downtown area.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
What I'm getting at is that you keep stating that the shootings didn't occur at "the event", which I assume you mean within the confines of Hart Plaza. Who cares whether the shootings occurred within Hart Plaza or not? The Detroit fireworks is an event that encompasses a large area. Hart Plaza is a small venue in relation to downtown Detroit. I'm not sure what your point is when you keep saying that the shootings didn't occur at "the event", AKA: Hart Plaza. So what? Two shootings occurred downtown during the fireworks within a 5 block radius with police officers all around.

I'm sure you'll post a source for that number.. . Tell that to the lady who was randomly shot in front of the Spirit of Detroit during the fireworks.
Yea I mean within the confines of Hart Plaza, sorry if I made that a little confusing. Which was the point I was making if they had the state fair at Belle Isle. Don't allow weapons on Belle Isle during the state fair and nobody will get shot. Similar to how they didn't allow weapons in Hart Plaza or the Riverwalk and nobody got shot. That was my point.

As for your chances of getting shot. Let's see, there were 1,000,000 people watching the fireworks (I really don't care if you believe that number or not because it's the closest thing to an official number I have), 3 people were shot so let me do the math. 1,000,000/ 3= 333,333.333. Since you can't have a third of a person I'm going to just say 333,333. So your odds of getting shot on that night were 1 and 333,333 or 0.00030000000000000003. So I was off in my last post I admit it, I put 4 zero's after the decimal and I should of only put 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit