U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Michigan State Fair at Belle Isle?
Yes it would be a sucess 10 71.43%
No it would be a failure 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 AM

4,492 posts, read 7,758,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
They do a good job. You are correct.

It is too bad, however, we have a 112-year old State Fairgrounds with historic buildings and a lot of history, that will never again host the State Fair because the people of the State of Michigan want nothing to do with the city of Detroit besides the downtown area.
I love that big stove, is it still sitting at the fairgrounds on Woodward? Are all the buildings still there? I don't get up that way too often but I know that there is talk of redeveloping that site with a mixed retail/dining complex. That would be cool.

Plan for former state fairgrounds site gets an urban vibe | Crain's Detroit Business

On the subject of state fairs, I just saw on the news tonight that a ride at the Ohio State Fair malfunctioned today and one person was killed, seven others critically injured. Governor Kasich ordered all of the rides shut down until it can be investigated further. How awful!

Last edited by canudigit; 07-27-2017 at 12:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:58 AM

27,767 posts, read 65,663,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I love that big stove, is it still sitting at the fairgrounds on Woodward? Are all the buildings still there? I don't get up that way too often but I know that there is talk of redeveloping that site with a mixed retail/dining complex. That would be cool.

Plan for former state fairgrounds site gets an urban vibe | Crain's Detroit Business

On the subject of state fairs, I just saw on the news tonight that a ride at the Ohio State Fair malfunctioned today and one person was killed, seven others critically injured. Governor Kasich ordered all of the rides shut down until it can be investigated further. How awful!
Those cheap rides can be dangerous. I tend to avoid the portable carnivals that come to town from time to time. Not only dangerous, but they are expensive for a ride that is usually not all that fun. Just go to Cedar Point. They have issues rarely and given the numbers of people who go through there, it is amazingly low.

I know Meyers is on part of the old State Fairgrounds. I have not been actually on the fairgrounds since the last time we went to the fair (about 2006 or 2007 maybe? give or take a year or two. When did it close?). I do not remember any of the buildings being anything special except one. but then we were more focused on the piglets than on the buildings.

It was neat, but it was silly to have a farm animal thing in Detroit, the motor city. Makes more sense in Lansing or Howell or even out at Kensington or something.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...irgrounds.html

Old 07-27-2017, 07:46 PM

169 posts, read 131,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
They do a good job. You are correct.

It is too bad, however, we have a 112-year old State Fairgrounds with historic buildings and a lot of history, that will never again host the State Fair because the people of the State of Michigan want nothing to do with the city of Detroit besides the downtown area.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ir_Detroit.jpg

I saw Nirvana play in this building in October of 1993. Nirvana was the most popular rock band in the world at the time. I saw them play to a crowded state fair coliseum crowd of roughly 5,500 people. It baffled me that they would choose such a small venue to play seeing they were in their prime and are still regarded as one of the best rock bands of all time. But it was awesome to see them play such a small venue considering how popular they were. I found out later that they liked playing smaller venues. 5 months after I saw them play, Kurt Cobain committed suicide.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:33 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,935,801 times
Here's a fun number, a teenager from Provo, Utah (one of the "safest" cities in America) is 3.95x more likely to kill themselves than a resident of Detroit, Michigan is likely to become victim of homicide - and obviously the number is higher for a resident than for a suburbanite visiting for a state fair.

Source: Suicide now leading cause of death for Utahns ages 10-17 | fox13now.com

Numbers: According to the 2015 ACS survey there are 354,000 Utahans between the ages of 10-17. According to the Department of Health there were 600 suicides for this age range in Utah last year. This breaks down to a suicide rate of 170 per 100,000 teenagers; contrast this with a homicide rate of 43 per 100,000 Detroiters. Now admittedly I have no idea what the numbers are for Provo, but I assumed they are similar throughout Utah. Based on cultural factors I would assume if anything they are somewhat higher than median, in Provo.

So... this is an absolutely pointless statistic/argument, I totally get that. But I wanted to put into context how unreasonable the fear some suburbanites have about getting shot in Detroit is. Yeah, if you go up to a group of dudes and start insulting them or throwing punches, your chances of getting shot go up significantly, but this applies to most places and quite frankly you're an idiot if you do this whether you be in Detroit or in Bloomfield Hills. If you're in town to get a bite to eat, see a game, or visit an event you're statistically safer than a resident who spends all day/night in the city, and this resident is significantly less likely to meet a bullet than a teenager in Utah (yes, even when you factor in suicide statistics for both.)

Old 07-28-2017, 11:53 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,298,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
I saw Nirvana play in this building in October of 1993. Nirvana was the most popular rock band in the world at the time. I saw them play to a crowded state fair coliseum crowd of roughly 5,500 people. It baffled me that they would choose such a small venue to play seeing they were in their prime and are still regarded as one of the best rock bands of all time. But it was awesome to see them play such a small venue considering how popular they were. I found out later that they liked playing smaller venues. 5 months after I saw them play, Kurt Cobain committed suicide.
Cool story. I vaguely remember the hip hop duo, Kriss Kross, performing at Michigan State Fair in the early 90's during their brief popularity. According to this website, the State Fair in the '70s and 80's featured a lot of key acts in their prime.

- in the 1970's the Jackson Five, Al Green, Tom Jones, Alice Cooper, Roberta Flack, Natalie Cole, Ray Charles, Dolly Parton, and Styx all performed

Old 07-28-2017, 11:59 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,298,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Here's a fun number, a teenager from Provo, Utah (one of the "safest" cities in America) is 3.95x more likely to kill themselves than a resident of Detroit, Michigan is likely to become victim of homicide - and obviously the number is higher for a resident than for a suburbanite visiting for a state fair.

Source: Suicide now leading cause of death for Utahns ages 10-17 | fox13now.com

Numbers: According to the 2015 ACS survey there are 354,000 Utahans between the ages of 10-17. According to the Department of Health there were 600 suicides for this age range in Utah last year. This breaks down to a suicide rate of 170 per 100,000 teenagers; contrast this with a homicide rate of 43 per 100,000 Detroiters. Now admittedly I have no idea what the numbers are for Provo, but I assumed they are similar throughout Utah. Based on cultural factors I would assume if anything they are somewhat higher than median, in Provo.

So... this is an absolutely pointless statistic/argument, I totally get that. But I wanted to put into context how unreasonable the fear some suburbanites have about getting shot in Detroit is. Yeah, if you go up to a group of dudes and start insulting them or throwing punches, your chances of getting shot go up significantly, but this applies to most places and quite frankly you're an idiot if you do this whether you be in Detroit or in Bloomfield Hills. If you're in town to get a bite to eat, see a game, or visit an event you're statistically safer than a resident who spends all day/night in the city, and this resident is significantly less likely to meet a bullet than a teenager in Utah (yes, even when you factor in suicide statistics for both.)
THANK YOU FOR THIS ANALYSIS!

In addition, the State Fair had a huge secure, gated parking lot and because of the entry fee, it weeded out a lot of the "undesirables".

But like I said, outside of downtown, the people of Michigan have no interest in Detroit. Over 100 years of history at the Fairgrounds be damned! I thought it was cool and unique that the state's largest city hosted its state fair, but suburbanites and outstate folks thought it was stupid, and they eventually got their wish.

In its last few years in Detroit, the State Fair was probably underfunded and had gotten stale. God bless the people who resurrected it, and I wish them the best in their new venue.

Last edited by usroute10; 07-28-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit