U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Michigan State Fair at Belle Isle?
Yes it would be a sucess 10 71.43%
No it would be a failure 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,815,281 times

Advertisements

How would you guys feel about them restarting the Michigan State Fair at Belle Isle? It's a the most popular state park, great location, huge park. The park is actually big enough to have alot of concerts, attractions, vendors, ect throughout the park without it being too crowded. What do you guys think? It was just a random thought.

Last edited by MS313; 07-21-2017 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 04:20 PM

5,114 posts, read 4,828,613 times
I wouldn't call it a success or failure, but I would point out that there would be parking and access issues, probably limiting its success.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:34 PM

14,596 posts, read 13,333,380 times
Good idea. Maybe they could use the paddock* for parking.

*Large concrete slab visible from outer space.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,481,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I wouldn't call it a success or failure, but I would point out that there would be parking and access issues, probably limiting its success.
There are solutions to all problems.
This is the perfect reason to finally restore the Boblo Boat.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM

169 posts, read 132,103 times
There's a reason why the State Fair moved from Detroit to Novi. And it wasn't for better parking. There can't even be a fireworks show downtown without fights, shootings, or other nonsense. What makes you think a week long festival on Belle Isle with a bunch of knucklehead kids in attendance would be a good idea?

Old 07-23-2017, 01:49 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,815,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
There's a reason why the State Fair moved from Detroit to Novi. And it wasn't for better parking. There can't even be a fireworks show downtown without fights, shootings, or other nonsense. What makes you think a week long festival on Belle Isle with a bunch of knucklehead kids in attendance would be a good idea?
The state fair did not move from Detroit to Novi. The state of MI stopped doing the state fair all together. The state fair in Novi is ran by a private company not the state of Michigan. And nobody was shot at the actually fireworks or riverdays event. They didn't even allow weapons at the event. It was in other parts of downtown. I don't have time to list every event right now but there are plenty of big events in Detroit that happened with no shootings.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 AM

1,861 posts, read 2,305,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
The state fair did not move from Detroit to Novi. The state of MI stopped doing the state fair all together. The state fair in Novi is ran by a private company not the state of Michigan. And nobody was shot at the actually fireworks or riverdays event. They didn't even allow weapons at the event. It was in other parts of downtown. I don't have time to list every event right now but there are plenty of big events in Detroit that happened with no shootings.
Thank you for correcting that gentleman. Facts are the best!

I would love to see the State Fair return to the State Fairgrounds, where it was located for like 150 years. Nothing has been done on the fairgrounds yet, so it can still happen.

Last edited by usroute10; 07-24-2017 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 05:54 AM

4,502 posts, read 7,769,220 times
One of the major reasons why the Michigan State Fair failed is because it was located in Detroit. The State Fair was attended by many rural families from across the state and traveling to Detroit, the most urban,industrial, "scary" city in the state for many years now was not appealing to people who were coming from their farms across the state to exhibit their livestock and other wares. I realize that in recent years state fairs have been about more than the livestock, agriculture, etc., but that was the original purpose of these events when they started back in the day and for many people that is still a major draw. Just visit the Ohio State Fair, Iowa State Fair, or several others to see what a state fair is supposed to look like, based on the success of those events.

I can remember visiting the Michigan State Fair at the previous location along Woodward Ave. about twenty years ago when our kids were little and parking next to a decaying, urban neighborhood that felt fairly unsafe and then walking into an event that featured livestock and agricultural exhibits from across this largely rural state and thinking how strange it all was. I have family members who farm in mid-Michigan who agreed and stayed away. I can remember my cousin saying, "People don't want to go to Detroit for a state fair, that's stupid." Obviously just one person's opinion, I realize, but I think that that is how a lot of people in the more rural areas of our state feel. They don't want to go to Detroit for a fair. A baseball game? Sure. A concert? Yep. Even an Indy car race, but not a fair. With the exception of the Ohio State Fair in Columbus urban fairs are rarely successful, and it's a mystery why that fair is still so successful, perhaps because Columbus is a city known primarily for being the home of the Ohio State University and the state government and therefore being more of a central meeting place and identifier for all Ohioans than Detroit is for Michiganders. Columbus also doesn't have the crime stigma that Detroit has to deal with when attracting people to the city for events. Not that Columbus doesn't have crime, of course, just that Columbus hasn't had the national media ranting for years about how dangerous, decayed, and murderous it is like Detroit has.

I have heard people suggest the outskirts of East Lansing as a potential location for a state fair, which at least would be more centrally located and feel safer and more accessible to a lot of Michiganders who avoided the Detroit location. While Detroit has made enormous strides in recent years and continues to do so, there is still a culture of fear for many people about going to Detroit, even though Belle Isle, if reached via expressways directly to downtown Detroit is now considered pretty safe, especially when there is an event going on. Don't get me wrong, I love Detroit, am proud of its recent progress, and am excited about its future, and I tell anyone that cares to listen all of that. But as a location for a fair that represents the entire state of Michigan and is a draw for rural people? No, wrong city.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:38 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,825,466 times
The state fair has expanded each year since it relocated to Novi. There's really no need to move it.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM

4,502 posts, read 7,769,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
The state fair has expanded each year since it relocated to Novi. There's really no need to move it.
I googled some info about this event after I read your post because I wondered what ever happened to it after someone started it to replace the "real" State Fair (not necessarily my opinion, but I know that a lot of people were very skeptical and considered it nothing more than an urban festival when it was started, as opposed to a true state fair). It sounds like it's pretty successful but limited, being located in an expo center and all. Hopefully if it continues to expand they can someday build an actual fairgrounds somewhere in that area and transition it there since it appears that people are wiling to come to Novi to see it. In its current state it only runs for like five days but if it was located in its own designated venue then hopefully it would last longer, at least around three weeks like other state fairs. They have some sponsors with deep pockets (Fiat, 5/3 Bank) so the money may be there to do this. It's a shame to see something as iconic as the Michigan State Fair get bumped out of its venue after a few days because that venue is steadily booked up.

I think it's wonderful that people and corporations cared enough to try to keep the Fair alive instead of just letting it die a slow, painful death and planting a tombstone on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit