U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:34 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I agree with you, but it seems like a lot of people we know from elsewhere, are really taking notice of our summer weather this summer. Many places are seeing temperatures in the 100s and our 86 degrees is looking awfully comfortable to them. Also California and Colorado are so badly polluted, some people are looking at moving somewhere cleaner.

Maybe they should discontinue those pure Michigan ads.

We watched this happen here over the years as ring after ring of cool little towns around Detroit were swarmed by the great masses and infested with condos, apartments, cheap houses on tiny lots, McMansions, McDonalds, Auto Zone, and great destroyer of quaint small towns - Walmart. Then people would look around and say, "this place is not quaint, it looks just like the place I left. It is crowded and chainy." Then they notice the next ring a few miles out is full of quaint small towns and boom. It is getting out as far as Brighton and Fenton now. Will it ever stop? Now downtown is looking cool to the masses, maybe they will head back towards the city and South Lyon, Northville and even Farmington can be quaint small towns again someday.

Luckily for us either living on an island, or living downriver is just too weird or icky for the masses. While we got somewhat infested, they have been able to control it so far.

Let's petition the State to stop marketing!
Agreed, agreed, agreed!

Our little town seems to be becoming a far outlying bedroom suburb of Ann Arbor...which I hate to see but can't do a thing about.

I'm hoping that even with this gorgeous, perfect summer that we've had people still believe that Michigan weather is all bad, all the time. I asked a question recently on the employment forum here regarding opinions on the time and distance of a commute to a job that I was offered, Downriver, actually. Several people commented that they would never do it because of Michigan's "terrible" weather. The irony is that someone who is baking in a Sunbelt city where it is 96 degrees with 90% humidity will say that with a completely straight face and still think that they live in paradise. And I hope that they do think that they live in paradise and I hope that they will stay there permanently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 AM

1,189 posts, read 853,624 times
Since when have metro Detroiters used "the" when referring to freeways?

Seems odd to me.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,820,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post

Seems odd to me.
It's not typical in the vernacular of a native Metro Detroiter. Given where the OP hails from it makes perfect sense. However "the" is used in freeway references in other outstate cities.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM

56 posts, read 41,124 times
I've lived in Michigan for over 2 years with Ohio plates. My title is joint ownership and with the other owner residing in Ohio, I keep the Ohio plates.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,799,933 times
You might be just noticing it more. I always noticed them but it kind of depends on where you are in the region as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 AM

977 posts, read 1,114,783 times
A few years ago my wife and I played the license plate game in the summer on all of our trips up north.

We kept a list and would record who saw what state but only one person could claim it at a time.

I think we got well over 30 states just in Michigan alone. We found a lot of more rare ones up north around Petoskey/Bayview.

I've even seen a Hawaii plate in Metro Detroit, real plate not some fake vanity plate either.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:57 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post

Seems odd to me.
I still use it as a leftover from Living in Southern California for 18 years. I still struggle to say Pop instead of Soda too, but Party store and freeway and doorwall never left my vernacular, so those are easy. I also never stopped calling the top of a house the "ruff."

Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM

142 posts, read 117,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
A few years ago my wife and I played the license plate game in the summer on all of our trips up north.

We kept a list and would record who saw what state but only one person could claim it at a time.

I think we got well over 30 states just in Michigan alone. We found a lot of more rare ones up north around Petoskey/Bayview.

I've even seen a Hawaii plate in Metro Detroit, real plate not some fake vanity plate either.
That is a rare one. Hawaii is so far from the mainland that most people just fly here and leave the cars back home. Every now and then, someone moves here from Hawaii, but that doesnt happen much-its usually the other way around. And even then, they are more likely to sell their car first instead of going through the cost and hassle to ship it. So, Hawaii plates are pretty much the rarest.

Another rare one is Alaska. I saw a personalized Alaska plate on the front of a car about 2 days ago, but cant be certain it was authentic.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Yeah, I grew up in Los Angeles. Referring to an Interstate as "The ##" is now part of my dialect. What do people say here? And no, I will never call soda pop, but I like the use of party store instead of liquor store. And what's a doorwall? And why do some of you refer to asphalt as ashphalt? That one confuses me.

Seriously though, I may be just confirming my bias at this point, but I'm seeing as many out-of-state plates on my commutes recently as I did in my old in-migration state. It wouldn't surprise me if future data indicates Michigan (or at least Metro Detroit) showed an increase of in-migration during 2017, as compared to 2015/16.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:47 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,745,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Yeah, I grew up in Los Angeles. Referring to an Interstate as "The ##" is now part of my dialect. What do people say here?
We just say "75" or "94", with no "the" in front. For example, "94 is backed up from the Southfield all the way to the airport". Which is another quirk, because we do say "the Southfield" for the Southfield Freeway but for the number roads, there is no "the".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or