U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times

Advertisements

" What do people say here?"

They (we) just say 94, 275, M-5, etc. "Take 94 to 275 then to M-5 and get off on the third exit."

"And no, I will never call soda pop,"

Some people will bring you soda water. Others will just ask where you are from. I got more confusion in California when I first arrived and asked what kind of pop they had. "What kind of what?"

"And what's a doorwall?"

A sliding glass door. Pretty much installed in the back of every house since at least the 1970s.

" And why do some of you refer to asphalt as ashphalt? That one confuses me."

Ignorance. The same reason people say tarsh can, or "sybmole" (instead of symbol) or ingorance or can you give me some advise/can you advice me? For more examples watch Trailer park boys and listen to Ricky. He is the master of misplaced sounds. Maybe it comes from Canadians.

I do not really notice license places much unless they are doing something bizarre like using their horn for a turn signal. However I really do not need to look in those circumstances to confirm they are from Massachusetts or New York. I do not think I see a lot of plates from the West. East South and Midwest are fairly common though. Most common is Florida. People with Ohio plates probably remove them when the cross the State line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 AM

979 posts, read 1,116,827 times
On my drive home last night out of downtown, I saw an pick-up pulling an RV trailer with NY plates doing about 55 mph on I-96 (clearly had come across through Canada). I also saw a terrified driver with IL plates that was getting blow-by doing about 60 mph in the left lane.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
On my drive home last night out of downtown, I saw an pick-up pulling an RV trailer with NY plates doing about 55 mph on I-96 (clearly had come across through Canada). I also saw a terrified driver with IL plates that was getting blow-by doing about 60 mph in the left lane.
Yes it is funny to see the white knuckled drivers from Ohio and Indian where the speed limits are low and actually followed. It is annoying when they hang out int he left lane.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:32 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
We do say "The Lodge" and "The Southfield Freeway" but that's about it lol.

And yea Idk how Illinois drivers get their license, seriously, I see alot of Illinois plates hogging the left lane blocking traffic and people swerving around them.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:47 AM

337 posts, read 401,609 times
I'm from Michigan but have been living in Seattle for the past 18 years. I'm starting to hear a lot of people talk about buying property and moving to Detroit because it's getting so expensive out here now. Seattle is the fastest-growing city in the US and is experiencing a massive IT tech boom, the housing market is ultra-competitive and prices have gone waaaaay up. Even people with money are having a hard time trying to bid on a house. Tech folks can live in Detroit and still keep their software jobs here in Seattle.

Hell, I'M now looking at property in Detroit.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:19 AM

4,486 posts, read 7,750,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
I'm from Michigan but have been living in Seattle for the past 18 years. I'm starting to hear a lot of people talk about buying property and moving to Detroit because it's getting so expensive out here now. Seattle is the fastest-growing city in the US and is experiencing a massive IT tech boom, the housing market is ultra-competitive and prices have gone waaaaay up. Even people with money are having a hard time trying to bid on a house. Tech folks can live in Detroit and still keep their software jobs here in Seattle.

Hell, I'M now looking at property in Detroit.
I'm curious as to why these people are considering Detroit instead of somewhere less expensive in the Sunbelt like so many others. Is it because they want to avoid the extreme heat and congestion? Is it because they see Detroit as the next boom town Cinderella story?

I admit, being a lifelong resident of the SE Michigan/NW Ohio area that one of the things that I love best about living here is that so many people in other parts of the country have written this area off as being too boring, too "rust belt", too cold, too gray, etc., etc. and pretty much left us alone. I honestly dread it if this area becomes a destination for people from other parts of the country. COL will go up and our way of life will be altered forever. Hopefully I am just making a mountain out of a molehill, but if Detroit were to become like Atlanta or Charlotte, it would affect even those of us living in the extreme outreaches of the area and it would be so depressing.

DH and I were in Georgia a few months ago and spent the night in a "small" town, Newnan, about 30 miles SW of Atlanta. Naively, we still expected it to be quaint and cute and pleasant but it was a nightmare of sprawl; subdivisions upon subdivisions, congested four lane highways, every chain restaurant known to man with lines even at 4 pm. Apparently it has now become a bedroom suburb of Atlanta due to its proximity to the airport via I-85. This is exactly what nobody I know wants to happen to the quaint small towns outside of Detroit and Ann Arbor. Hopefully the cold winters will deter people, as opposed to somewhere like Newnan where people move there for the warmer winters. God willing.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:32 AM

979 posts, read 1,116,827 times
I just lost one of my good junior staff who is moving from Detroit to Seattle. Granted he's following his girlfriend and he was not from Michigan first of all.

Its a major trade-off in QOL. Its a lot higher cost but living in Seattle area doesn't even compare to Metro Detroit.

Hence why you've seen Colorado become inundated with people fleeing LA, the Bay area, and Seattle. Very high QOL at a fraction of the (historical) cost.

In other news, yesterday on my drive home I saw zero out of state license plates going up M-10 and out I-696 from downtown.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
We do say "The Lodge" and "The Southfield Freeway" but that's about it lol.

That drives me nuts.At least Southfield and Lodge I know what they are referring to, but when I hear traffic reports on the Chrysler Freeway, or the Davison, or whatever the others are named (there a a bunch of names, some I was thinking of three second ago but cannot now remember), I have no idea what they are talking about. And i grew up here plus have been back for 12 years so after 37 years in S.E. Michigan, I still do not know those names.

I have been looking around for out of state plates lately, but Michigan has so many different styles and colors, it is nearly impossible to pick out out of State plates unless they are really unusual. It might help if I wore my glasses, but the sunset over the bridge really is not that different form the sunset of the palm trees.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,266,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That drives me nuts.At least Southfield and Lodge I know what they are referring to, but when I hear traffic reports on the Chrysler Freeway, or the Davison, or whatever the others are named (there a a bunch of names, some I was thinking of three second ago but cannot now remember), I have no idea what they are talking about. And i grew up here plus have been back for 12 years so after 37 years in S.E. Michigan, I still do not know those names.

I have been looking around for out of state plates lately, but Michigan has so many different styles and colors, it is nearly impossible to pick out out of State plates unless they are really unusual. It might help if I wore my glasses, but the sunset over the bridge really is not that different form the sunset of the palm trees.
I remember in the 90s, I would often hear "the Reuther freeway" (more commonly known as 696). I pretty much never hear it now.

I never knew who Reuther was until I heard his name a few days ago on one of the documentaries about the Detroit riots.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:20 AM

3,671 posts, read 4,803,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I'm curious as to why these people are considering Detroit instead of somewhere less expensive in the Sunbelt like so many others. Is it because they want to avoid the extreme heat and congestion? Is it because they see Detroit as the next boom town Cinderella story?

I admit, being a lifelong resident of the SE Michigan/NW Ohio area that one of the things that I love best about living here is that so many people in other parts of the country have written this area off as being too boring, too "rust belt", too cold, too gray, etc., etc. and pretty much left us alone. I honestly dread it if this area becomes a destination for people from other parts of the country. COL will go up and our way of life will be altered forever. Hopefully I am just making a mountain out of a molehill, but if Detroit were to become like Atlanta or Charlotte, it would affect even those of us living in the extreme outreaches of the area and it would be so depressing.

DH and I were in Georgia a few months ago and spent the night in a "small" town, Newnan, about 30 miles SW of Atlanta. Naively, we still expected it to be quaint and cute and pleasant but it was a nightmare of sprawl; subdivisions upon subdivisions, congested four lane highways, every chain restaurant known to man with lines even at 4 pm. Apparently it has now become a bedroom suburb of Atlanta due to its proximity to the airport via I-85. This is exactly what nobody I know wants to happen to the quaint small towns outside of Detroit and Ann Arbor. Hopefully the cold winters will deter people, as opposed to somewhere like Newnan where people move there for the warmer winters. God willing.
It would actually be bad news if Detroit became like Charlotte. Because Metro Detroit is still a lot bigger than the Charlotte area. Charlotte didn't feel crowded to me at all when I visited in fact the city itself is less densely populated than Detroit. And you can get to rural NC from downtown Charlotte faster than you can get to Rural Michigan from downtown Detroit (without traffic). And my family said it's actually cheaper down there then up here.

In fact, even the Seattle area hasn't passed metro Detroit in population yet but the city itself is more densely populated so I'm sure it does feel significantly more crowded. And the COL is outrageous.

Atlanta only feels more crowded then Detroit when it comes to their awful freeway system. Other than that, the entire area is more spaced out then Metro Detroit. Most of the neighborhoods in Atl look similar to Taylor or Westland or or Southfield west of Telegraph. And from what I hear from most people, the COL is slowly going up but it's still about the same as metro Detroit.

Quote:

If I have this right
Ford fwy is I-94
Jefferies fwy is I-96
Chrysler fwy and Detroit-Toledo fwy is I-75
The davidson is a completely pointless freeway that turns into Davidson ave on the westside.

Btw, am I the only one who think New York State plates are ugly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or