U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,264,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Good catch. I forgot about those names changes. And yea that's true I just think the Davidson should be a major street all the way across. Now if it connected to 696 that would be different but I think that it was built way before 696 but I could be wrong.
Yea 696 was still just a rough draft back then.

Quote:
Lol I actually kind of like it... but the stuff in the bolded throws me off... I hate it when a sign or something says the numbers instead of just saying "Southfield, Lodge, Van Dyke, Telegraph, ect. As embarrassing as it is, I still get thrown off sometimes by it lol, but when I first started driving I was much worse because I didn't hardly know anything (navigation wise) besides the eastside of Detroit and Kalamazoo. When I first started paying attention to signs around the westside of Detroit I was like "what the hell is M-39, M-85, M-10, US 24, ect? What made it more confusing is some of these are streets and some are freeways.
I actually can't think of any of the M or US routes that people use by number.

Maybe M-59 since it's one of the newer freeways. But yea weirdly enough, the surface street portion of M-59 is more commonly known as Hall Road. If you actually the other way through Pontiac, it's known as Huron Street then it turns into Highland Road at some point and goes the rest of the way to I-96 near Howell.

Oh, and probably M-14 and M-5. Maybe it's just something about having freeways going through rural areas that makes them less likely to have a name on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 12:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Yea 696 was still just a rough draft back then.

I actually can't think of any of the M or US routes that people use by number.

Maybe M-59 since it's one of the newer freeways. But yea weirdly enough, the surface street portion of M-59 is more commonly known as Hall Road. If you actually the other way through Pontiac, it's known as Huron Street then it turns into Highland Road at some point and goes the rest of the way to I-96 near Howell.

Oh, and probably M-14 and M-5. Maybe it's just something about having freeways going through rural areas that makes them less likely to have a name on them.
Yea we just say 8 mile, Telegraph, Woodward, ect. I think my GPS says the numbers sometimes too lol. It's confusing sometimes when a street has 2 different names. And idk because the Southfield, lodge, and M-59 doesn't go through any rural areas. Now 8 mile, grand river, Michigan, ect do go through rural areas. I used to think Grand River was the longest street in Detroit because it went all the way to Lansing but I think Michigan Ave is even longer.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:04 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
downriver, I 75 is often just "the Freeway" We do not have access to any of the others so they are just parking lots for the trendy people and do not need names or numbers.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:49 PM

169 posts, read 131,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Now downtown is looking cool to the masses, maybe they will head back towards the city and South Lyon, Northville and even Farmington can be quaint small towns again someday.
I wouldn't say downtown appeals to the masses. It's appealing to many young people, for sure. But the masses? I don't think so.

As for the towns you mentioned being small towns again... I can speak for Northville. The amount of building and the popularity of Northville won't allow that to happen.

Quote:
Luckily for us either living on an island, or living downriver is just too weird or icky for the masses. While we got somewhat infested, they have been able to control it so far.
I loved the affordability of downriver. And if I had to live there, my first choice would be Grosse Ile. But I hate the thought of paying to cross a bridge or driving several more miles per day in order to cross a free bridge in order to get home.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:10 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,929 times
Maybe it's just here locally then, but on my morning walk to the zoo (not counting any plates I saw in or immediately around the zoo) and my later walk to dinner tonight I saw Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Ohio, Ontario, and Florida. I feel like I saw Illinois too but I may be making that up in my mind. I really do think SE Michigan is starting to see an equal net migration.

I don't expect the net migration here to be positive in the near future (if ever) simply due to pop culture stigma of Detroit, but it wouldn't surprise me to see growth based on 0 migration and natural birth rate over the next few years, if the economy stays strong.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:51 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Maybe it's just here locally then, but on my morning walk to the zoo (not counting any plates I saw in or immediately around the zoo) and my later walk to dinner tonight I saw Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Ohio, Ontario, and Florida. I feel like I saw Illinois too but I may be making that up in my mind. I really do think SE Michigan is starting to see an equal net migration.

I don't expect the net migration here to be positive in the near future (if ever) simply due to pop culture stigma of Detroit, but it wouldn't surprise me to see growth based on 0 migration and natural birth rate over the next few years, if the economy stays strong.
It wouldn't surprise me either. But like I said earlier, I've seen out of state plates all over Metro Detroit for as long as I could remember. Especially in the city, it's as normal as seeing a cab or a bus. Every since the great recession I've always said that Metro Detroit should have a more healthy job market before it starts trying to gain population again. I know that the job market in the region is pretty healthy right now but I would like to see the pay get a little bit better as well for entry level jobs.

Quote:
downriver, I 75 is often just "the Freeway" We do not have access to any of the others so they are just parking lots for the trendy people and do not need names or numbers.
Lol really? wow that's interesting.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM

[quote=MS313;49009646
Lol really? wow that's interesting.[/QUOTE]

Well the first part sometimes, not all the time.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:06 PM

615 posts, read 1,166,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post

I've even seen a Hawaii plate in Metro Detroit, real plate not some fake vanity plate either.
On our honeymoon, travelling from Detroit to the Smoky Mountains, my bride asked me if we would see license plates from all 50 states.

I told her we wouldn't see a Hawaii plate because Hawaii is an island.

I was shocked when she pointed out a Hawaii plate as we were driving- and we had only made it to Findlay!

We only saw 23 states on that trip. Best place to play this must be Grand Teton/Yellowstone. We saw all fifty there. The last one was Delaware. Oddly, it was in a little-travelled part of the park.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:14 PM

[quote=MS313;49009646
Lol really? wow that's interesting.[/QUOTE]

Well the first part sometimes, not all the time.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:22 PM

615 posts, read 1,166,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We just say "75" or "94", with no "the" in front. For example, "94 is backed up from the Southfield all the way to the airport". Which is another quirk, because we do say "the Southfield" for the Southfield Freeway but for the number roads, there is no "the".
Not to mention the fact that the Southfield IS numbered, though no one on the radio ever calls it "The 39".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or