U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:41 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,932,627 times

Advertisements

I want to preface this by saying this is purely anecdotal, but if someone has real data to share or an anecdote of their own - please share!

Coming here in 2015 I initially felt like I was the only person with out-of-state plates. I'd see the Ontario or Ohio plates - mostly on the 75, but that was pretty much it; however, recently, and especially this summer, I feel like I've seen an abundance of out of state plates on commuter routes like the 696 and 12 Mile. I see lots of Illinois and New York plates, but as I've started taking note of this I've started seeing other less common states too. On my way 10 mile drive into work today I saw Rhode Island, New Jersey and Massachusetts - not exactly plates I'm accustomed to seeing. Recently I've also seen Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Missouri. I've been seeing Georgia and Florida, but I assume many of those are snowbirds cheating the insurance system. I've also been seeing a number of California - not exactly a common snowbird destination for Michiganders, and the cost of registration/smog-testing in California more than negates any potential insurance savings.

I sometimes joke with my wife about how I'm the only person in the metro with my make/model of car (an AWD import which was rather common in the Intermountain West), but a couple days ago I saw two of them on my drive home. One had a Colorado plate and the other was a Michigan plate, but with a U of U window sticker -- Those are both states known for their rapidly growing population.

So.. I guess what I'm wondering is if I've simply being more observant than I was 2 years ago, or is there really more in-migration into Michigan (or at least Metro Detroit) this summer than the region has experienced in recent years? As another anecdote, I also want to throw in that in my neighborhood just about every young couple we meet is from out of state (or just moved back to "be closer to family").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 AM

157 posts, read 108,905 times
I drove a FWD import with Indiana Plates for a year (2015). Now I guess I have the same AWD import (in blue) as yours.

Let me know if you want some import goodies, I get free T shirts once in a while.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM

979 posts, read 1,117,336 times
A few things:

#1 - Summer travel season, more people on vacation, visiting friends/family, etc. I have many friends that moved out of state that come back to MI for a week or so every summer.

#2 - Cut-through traffic from the Northeast; a lot of people cut through Canada from Buffalo/Niagra to Port Huron/Sarnia when driving from the Northeast to Chicago or the Midwest, not uncommon to see people drop down through Metro Detroit. Some come downt the 401 through Windsor. When I cross over the Blue Water Bridge going to Canada, very common to see MA, NY, IL plants crossing over.

#3 - Florida plates, tend to be snowbirds like said. people who do that to skirt our high-priced insurance. You see a lot of this up north in the summer months in the resort towns. A buddy of mine has a side-gig shuttling cars to/from Florida for snowbirds for the winter.

#4 - Rental cars, a good portion of rental cars will have out of state plates as they get shuffled around the system. I rent cars for work for long driving trips and 50% of the time I get some random out of state plate like CA, FL, MO, etc.

That said, most residents will change their plates pretty quickly so its not likely to be a bunch of transplants driving around sporting plates from their old state for a significant length of time.

Also, there was such a brain-drain for over a decade where many of those who grew-up in Michigan moved out of state for work, either to spread their wings or just find employment. Like when they all moved to Chicago, NYC, Boston but now you see once they start having kids being closer to family matters a lot more. Logical sense to see the thirty-somethings that graduated from college during Michigan's lost economic decade of 2001-2011 now starting to return back to Michigan.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,932,627 times
Summer travelers typically don't spend a ton of time trolling around 12 Mile through Madison Heights, and while I can see some cut-through traffic using the 696, I imagine most travelers would take 69 through Sarnia/Flint/Lansing or 96 through Windsor/Detroit/Ann Arbor. Using 696 through Sarnia/Warren/Ann Arbor adds a bit of time. The rental car thing is legitimate but probably more common around the business districts (Detroit/Southfield/Troy), and yeah - Florida ones I tend to dismiss as snowbirds, but I believe I'm seeing a significantly increased number of other out-of-state plates this summer when compared to last (or maybe I simply wasn't as observant last summer).

Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM

3,819 posts, read 5,464,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Summer travelers typically don't spend a ton of time trolling around 12 Mile through Madison Heights,
Not people traveling here to take a typical vacation, but the people returning 'home' to visit family.
When I lived in NC, I came 'home' for at least two weeks every summer. I always drove so I had a car instead of being stuck depending on a ride, so I was driving around with my NC plates. Most of my college friends were the same way.

I do see regular cars in my parking garage with out of state plates. One likes to double park. Irritates me. Since they have been double parking for a long time, I know they are out of the 30 day compliance and I've been tempted to call and report them a few times... (I wouldn't ever do it in general, and the only reason I like to complain and say I would is because they double park.)

Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,606,514 times
Michigan has been running "
Pure Michigan" ads all over. Friends from California have said the ads are very compelling and made them want to come visit. I think people are beginning to realize that Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the USA. They used to think it was just Detroit.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM

77 posts, read 69,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Michigan has been running "
Pure Michigan" ads all over. Friends from California have said the ads are very compelling and made them want to come visit. I think people are beginning to realize that Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the USA. They used to think it was just Detroit.
Agreed. Those ads truly do make you want to visit. We will be moving to the Metro Detroit area in about a month. While those ads didn't convince us to move, they do paint the state in a nice light. I remember seeing one in CA a few years ago.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 7,751,301 times
I don't live in Metro Detroit per se, but in a small town about an hour southwest of Detroit. In the past year or two I have noticed a lot of New York plates especially around our area. I've always seen New York plates in Ann Arbor and attributed it to parents of wealthy East Coast kids who attend U of M (there are a lot of them, my daughter just graduated from there last year and met a ton of kids from New York in her classes, housing, etc.) or to U of M grads who moved to New York and came back to visit, but I've never noticed them out here in this county until recently. I don't know what to think of it, if it's just a fluke because we live near a major expressway or if it's because New York is no longer affordable because of the particular political tendencies there and people are starting to scope out Michigan as a lovely, viable, more affordable alternative.

I know this sounds selfish, but I really hope that people from out of state DON'T discover what a well kept secret the quality of life is here in SE Michigan. I like it the way it is and don't want to see happen here what has happened in once nice places like Florida and North Carolina. I'm actually glad that we don't have nicer winters or I'm afraid that we would be overrun by the same people who ultimately brought on the problems in their own states trying to move to greener, more affordable pastures like they are in the Southeast.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM

142 posts, read 117,706 times
DTWFlyer made a relevant point about rental cars. A good number of them have out of state plates.

I personally notice out of state plates year-round.

Of course, University students or people recently transferred here for work account for some.

Detroit has a large African-American population that is rooted in the south. Many people came from southern states to work at factories and still have many relatives back home. Others who grew up here have been migrating to places like Atlanta but still have family and friends here. So you will see a lot of people coming to visit family, as well as former residents returning for a visit.

There actually are a decent amount of people from out-of-state accepting jobs here.

I notice a lot of Ohio, Illinois and Ontario, for obvious geographical reasons, as well as Florida. Though I do not see that many Indiana or Wisconsin. I see more Minnesota and Tennessee than either of those two. Im surprised at how many Texas plates I see, considering how far it is. Arizona is common only because all Uhaul trucks have them. In areas with a large African-american population, I see some Georgia and Alabama.

I spend a bit of time on the road, so I watch things like license plates to keep me busy.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:58 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,606,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I d
I know this sounds selfish, but I really hope that people from out of state DON'T discover what a well kept secret the quality of life is here in SE Michigan. I like it the way it is and don't want to see happen here what has happened in once nice places like Florida and North Carolina. I'm actually glad that we don't have nicer winters or I'm afraid that we would be overrun by the same people who ultimately brought on the problems in their own states trying to move to greener, more affordable pastures like they are in the Southeast.
I agree with you, but it seems like a lot of people we know from elsewhere, are really taking notice of our summer weather this summer. Many places are seeing temperatures in the 100s and our 86 degrees is looking awfully comfortable to them. Also California and Colorado are so badly polluted, some people are looking at moving somewhere cleaner.

Maybe they should discontinue those pure Michigan ads.

We watched this happen here over the years as ring after ring of cool little towns around Detroit were swarmed by the great masses and infested with condos, apartments, cheap houses on tiny lots, McMansions, McDonalds, Auto Zone, and great destroyer of quaint small towns - Walmart. Then people would look around and say, "this place is not quaint, it looks just like the place I left. It is crowded and chainy." Then they notice the next ring a few miles out is full of quaint small towns and boom. It is getting out as far as Brighton and Fenton now. Will it ever stop? Now downtown is looking cool to the masses, maybe they will head back towards the city and South Lyon, Northville and even Farmington can be quaint small towns again someday.

Luckily for us either living on an island, or living downriver is just too weird or icky for the masses. While we got somewhat infested, they have been able to control it so far.

Let's petition the State to stop marketing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or