U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:19 PM

980 posts, read 1,120,606 times

Advertisements

If you are not liking the commute from Commerce to Southfield, then its only going to get worse if you look at farther out places like South Lyon, Milford, Brighton. Your biggest pain-point is the I-696/I-275/M-5/I-96 mix-master interchange gridlock.

Thus, you may really want to just look at places like Northville & Plymouth and finding alternate routes to/through that stupid interchange.

Otherwise will need to look at places north or west of Southfield.
A $500k budget will get you into Birmingham, granted not one of the big new-builds. You can get a lot better value for the size of the house elsewhere but you can get into a community with a walkable downtown area in proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,822,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
If you are not liking the commute from Commerce to Southfield, then its only going to get worse if you look at farther out places like South Lyon, Milford, Brighton. Your biggest pain-point is the I-696/I-275/M-5/I-96 mix-master interchange gridlock.

Thus, you may really want to just look at places like Northville & Plymouth and finding alternate routes to/through that stupid interchange.

Otherwise will need to look at places north or west of Southfield.
A $500k budget will get you into Birmingham, granted not one of the big new-builds. You can get a lot better value for the size of the house elsewhere but you can get into a community with a walkable downtown area in proximity.
What would be the alternate route from Plymouth/Northville? 96 to M-10?

Old 07-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Some combination of I-96, Telegraph/US-24, Southfield Fwy, 8 Mile, and some of the mile roads.

Or I-696-I-275, which isn't quite as bad and I-696 to I-96 connection.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,798 times
wow, this is all super helpful. thank you! Like I said, I really don't know much about any of the areas, so this is awesome.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:44 AM

27,772 posts, read 65,683,557 times
Did you look at the Grosse Pointes? Not too far from Southfield and it would be a reverse commute for part of the way. Great cities.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,823,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Did you look at the Grosse Pointes? Not too far from Southfield and it would be a reverse commute for part of the way. Great cities.
I'd question the commute from GP to Southfield. I travel west along 696 from Southfield Road to 275, so I'm attuned to hearing '696' on the traffic reports every morning. Much more often than not, I hear about slowdowns and accidents on 696 westbound through Macomb County.

Of course, if someone who actually does the GP to Southfield commute along 696 chimes in, listen to him/her, not me.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 AM

I-696 in the peak morning rush is perpetually stop-and-go, backed-up from about Mound/Van Dyke in Warren all the way westbound to Telegraph in Southfield. I see it every time I'm headed east between about 7-8:30am.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,299,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikristin View Post
My husband and I recently moved to Southern Michigan from Cincinnati, Ohio. We moved from an amazing town called, Madeira, Ohio (consistently ranked #1 suburb in cincy) and landed in Commerce Township here in Michigan. We are just renting currently, but plan on buying next year. My husband works in Southfield. We seem to spend a lot of time driving south to find things we enjoy. Our main concerns are safety, good schools, and proximity to things like groceries, restaurants, and coffee. The commute from Commerce to Southfield is turning out to be quite a hike, as is our trips to Trader Joe's, Target, malls, etc.

We hate having to drive 20-30 minutes to everything we enjoy, but aren't familiar with what is where, and what are "good areas."

What we loved about Madeira: a small town feel, a walkable, small downtown area where we could get coffee, food, etc. Safe neighborhood with a really tight-knit community, and a 15-20 minute drive to basically anywhere in the city. We would love to find that small, tight knit community feel here in Michigan, as we haven't really felt like we "fit in" anywhere yet. I long to find that community where I can walk my neighborhood, make friends, and where my (someday)children can make lifelong friends.
Priorities
-Safety
-Good Schools
-Proximity to groceries, restaurants, coffee, Trader Joe's, Target, Malls
-Short commute to Southfield
-Not having to drive 20-30 minutes for everything
-Small-town feel, walkable downtown

Recommendation:

The clear choices are BERKLEY or FARMINGTON/FARMINGTON HILLS.

BERKLEY
- borders Southfield.
- a quaint Main Street and even a secondary walkable corridor in Coolidge Avenue between 12 mile and Catalpa. Meijer is up the street
-Grid-system layout, more traditional-type layout - every residential street has sidewalks,
-Adjacent to the Woodward Corridor with all kinds of restaurants, Trader Joes
-Close to Madison Heights - big box shopping-chain sit down restaurants-Oakland Mall commercial district centered at 14 Mile and John R
-Close to Troy - Somerset Mall, the most upscale mall in the state, and chain sit-down restaurants
-Close to other vibrant suburban downtowns - Royal Oak, Clawson, Ferndale, and Birmingham
-Close to Zoo
-Close to major expressways - I-696, I-75, and Southfield Freeway
-Above average schools that appear to be improving
-20-25 minutes from downtown/Midtown Detroit

FARMINGTON
-borders Southfield
-very small downtown, with beautiful Victorian houses surrounding it
-very large suburb, mostly suburban in layout with subdivisions and cul-de-sacs
-Many restaurants and stores in Farmington Hills and adjacent West Bloomfield, especially on the Orchard Lake and 12 Mile Road corridors
-One of the better school districts in the metro
-Close to major expressways - I-696, I-96, I-275 and M-5 Freeway
-Close to Twelve Oaks Mall, the 2nd best mall in the metro area
-Not as centrally located within the metro area, 25-45 minute commute to the city depending on where you live within Farmington Hills

Milford and Grosse Pointes do not provide a short commute to Southfield! Why are people proposing those suburbs!! Brighton?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 AM

915 posts, read 1,161,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

Milford and Grosse Pointes do not provide a short commute to Southfield! Why are people proposing those suburbs!! Brighton?
Exactly my thought! I understand that they are smaller towns and have the "small town" feel in abundance, but they'd be spending a lot more time in a car than they already do - which is the opposite of what they are looking for.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:04 AM

27,772 posts, read 65,683,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Exactly my thought! I understand that they are smaller towns and have the "small town" feel in abundance, but they'd be spending a lot more time in a car than they already do - which is the opposite of what they are looking for.
Because you can't always get exactly what you want. You simply have to compromise one thing for another. You may find five of the things on your list of priorities but may not find those five things with two of the others. It is up tot he OP to look at the options and consider which of the preferences are more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or