U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,071,149 times

Advertisements

It might be helpful to the OP if downsides of areas recommended are explained. Explain what compromises they would be making and what the advantages are to the places recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM

67 posts, read 52,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnatikristin View Post
The commute from Commerce to Southfield is turning out to be quite a hike,
You can certainly move closer to stores, but I think you'll find that the work commute he's doing is pretty standard around here. I don't know that it would be significantly shorter if you moved to Northville (but N'ville would offer other things you are looking for). It would depend on the part of Commerce you are in, and the part of Northville you land in. A bigger factor is the godawful construction season we have. That affects commutes drastically. I hope that you find a place in which you feel like home. I'm afraid his commute will have to fall under the "it is what it is" category.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 AM

10,132 posts, read 7,817,898 times
"Best" is subjective, of course, but most expensive/desirable area, by far, is Birmingham-Bloomfield (and adjacent areas like Franklin, Bingham, Orchard Lake, etc.). You get less for your money in Birmingham proper than anywhere else in the state (and possibly anywhere between NYC and Chicago).

Old 08-06-2017, 01:17 PM

169 posts, read 131,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
"Best" is subjective, of course, but most expensive/desirable area, by far, is Birmingham-Bloomfield (and adjacent areas like Franklin, Bingham, Orchard Lake, etc.). You get less for your money in Birmingham proper than anywhere else in the state (and possibly anywhere between NYC and Chicago).
I disagree. I wouldn't say Birmingham is more desirable than Northville or Plymouth. Especially not "by far". It's all about what someone's opinion of "most desirable" is, I guess.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
I disagree. I wouldn't say Birmingham is more desirable than Northville or Plymouth. Especially not "by far". It's all about what someone's opinion of "most desirable" is, I guess.
Prices in Birmingham are much higher than Northville, so not true. Comparing at $2 million, $1 million or 500k will get you very different housing options in the two communities.

And Plymouth isn't even in the discussion. You can get 3-4x the home in Plymouth. Even Northville is 2x as expensive.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Prices in Birmingham are much higher than Northville, so not true. Comparing at $2 million, $1 million or 500k will get you very different housing options in the two communities.

And Plymouth isn't even in the discussion. You can get 3-4x the home in Plymouth. Even Northville is 2x as expensive.
I'm not talking price. I'm talking more desirable. Mary Barra, the CEO of GM, lives in Northville. Her salary in 2016 was 22 million. Obviously she thinks Northville is more desirable than Birmingham. Jack Roush, the owner of Roush Industries, has a net worth of $300 million. He also lives in Northville. Same with several professional athletes who call Northville home along with several business owners and executives who could easily afford to live in Birmingham who also call Northville home.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking price. I'm talking more desirable.
Most desirable = most expensive. There's absolutely no other way to answer the question.

The price people are willing to pay is obviously a direct proxy for relative desirability. Otherwise I could argue that Flint, Michigan is more desirable than the Hamptons or Palm Beach.
Quote:
I
Mary Barra, the CEO of GM, lives in Northville. Her salary in 2016 was 22 million. Obviously she thinks Northville is more desirable than Birmingham. Jack Roush, the owner of Roush Industries, has a net worth of $300 million. He also lives in Northville. Same with several professional athletes who call Northville home along with several business owners and executives who could easily afford to live in Birmingham who also call Northville home.
OK, and? What does any of this have to do with the question?

The fact that Birmingham is significantly more expensive than Northville doesn't mean that no one on the planet would prefer to live in Northville, or that no one in Northville can afford Birmingham.

Mary Barra has kids in the local schools and has lived in Northville area for years. Why would she just move because some other community is somewhat more expensive?

There are millionaires in Detroit; doesn't mean that Detroit is more desirable than Manhattan, Beverly Hills or the Hamptons. The richest man in the world lives in Mexico; doesn't mean that Mexico is more desirable than first world nations. In fact the richest man in Michigan lives in a nothing hick town on the West Side of the state. Warren Buffett lives in a blah house in Omaha.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Most desirable = most expensive.
That's a false statement. If that were the case, everyone new to the area who could afford to live in the most expensive community, would.

Quote:
The price people are willing to pay is obviously a direct proxy for relative desirability.
Then why do people new to the area choose to live in Northville when they could easily afford to live in Birmingham? Could it be that Northville is more desirable TO THEM than Birmingham?

Again, desirability is relative. My family could have bought a home in Birmingham if we chose to. We don't like Birmingham for several reasons, which is why we chose Northville.

The two areas are two of the most desirable areas in Metro Detroit. The fact that one is more expensive than the other is moot. The house you pay 1 million for in Northville you're going to pay 1.3 million for in Birmingham. This is what you're arguing about?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:22 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,815,166 times
When in doubt, look at the data. Given that home sizes vary by community, dollar per square foot is the best apples to apples comparison.

If you compare listing prices in Northville to listing prices in Birmingham, it's not even close (data taken from Zillow):

Northville Township: $184/square foot

Birmingham: $333/square foot

The market says that Birmingham real estate is far more in demand.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:48 PM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
When in doubt, look at the data. Given that home sizes vary by community, dollar per square foot is the best apples to apples comparison.

If you compare listing prices in Northville to listing prices in Birmingham, it's not even close (data taken from Zillow):

Northville Township: $184/square foot

Birmingham: $333/square foot

The market says that Birmingham real estate is far more in demand.
No. It says either it is more limited in supply or more in demand or both. The law of supply and demand has two elements, not one.

Northville is much larger geographically . It is not contained by other cities and they are building subdivisions all around it like mad. Birmingham on the other hand is pretty well built out and has been for a considerable time. Not much room for new people, so for new people to move in, other need to move out. Sure there are a few new places going in around Brimingham, but comparatively none. Further, living in Northville township, Novi, Part of Lyon township, are jsut as good as living in Northville. WhileLiving just outside Birmingham is nto considered just as good as living withint the Birmingham zip code.

Northville has more competition among house sales, More supply. Thus, the houses will be cheaper.

To use an analogy. I collect antique clocks. My favorite are Oswald dog eye clocks from the 1930s (well there re dogs, a skull, a genie and owl maybe some others). There is very little demand for dog eye clocks. Hardly anyone is out there looking for one. However there is an even smaller supply. So Dog eye clocks sell for as much as $300 while simple quartz movement clocks can be found at Walmart for $5 on sale. The price is not even close. The dog eye clocks are 60 times more expensive. Does that mean Dog eye clocks are much more desirable? No. Walmart will sell 100,000 $5 clocks that keep time more accurately, while probably no more than five dog eye clocks will change hands this year. Clearly the $5 clocks are much more desirable - many more people want them. See? Price is not an expression of desirability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or