Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times

Advertisements

You might find something in or near Huron township, or out near willow. It is not really on the radar screen for the masses yet. Another option might be to find property with an uninhabitable home, tear it down and put in a modular home. The biggest downside of modular is fire safety, or the lack thereof.

IN most places walking your dog, the biggest safety issue is going to be coyotes. However I have not hear of them ever attacking a dog on a leash, they do kill and eat some pretty large dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 05:41 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,144,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You might find something in or near Huron township, or out near willow. It is not really on the radar screen for the masses yet. Another option might be to find property with an uninhabitable home, tear it down and put in a modular home. The biggest downside of modular is fire safety, or the lack thereof.

IN most places walking your dog, the biggest safety issue is going to be coyotes. However I have not hear of them ever attacking a dog on a leash, they do kill and eat some pretty large dogs.

Huron Township/New Boston House for sale, worth a look, 4 acres, $170,000, near 3 Metroparks, Huron School District, house is old though

31942 West Rd, Huron Township, MI 48164 - realtor.com®

Old 08-01-2017, 06:40 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,354,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Here is one....don't know anything about it other than the link.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...54_rect/14_zm/
Did you note - the house is described as "manufactured with land". Could simply be a factory modular built house, could be a mobile home on a foundation.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,710,130 times
OP- Do you specifically need to be near DTW or just an airport? Are you planning to commute to DTW? Or just fly in and out of it? I ask because Bishop (Flint) is easier to fly in and out of, and you will be able to find acreage more in your price range within an hour of Flint.

For example, all within 30 minutes of Bishop:
12124 S Cork Rd, Morrice, MI 48857 - realtor.com®
5855 E M 71, Corunna, MI 48817 - realtor.com®
6434 E Mount Morris Rd, Genesee, MI 48458 - realtor.com® **Before anyone chimes in and says it is in Mt. Morris- the mailing address is Mt. Morris, yes. But it is in Genesee Township. (The realtor 'cheated' and put in Genesee but when you open the link it is actually Mt. Morris mailing) Honestly, another half mile down the road and it would have a Davison mailing address. It isn't anywhere close to Mt. Morris.
5067 W Frances Rd, Clio, MI 48420 - realtor.com® Thetford Township consistently ranks as one of the safest, most crime-free ZIP codes in the state. Real estate is a bargain, too.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Did you note - the house is described as "manufactured with land". Could simply be a factory modular built house, could be a mobile home on a foundation.
I noted that I knew nothing but the link.
It has 4 acres, a 30x40 outbuilding and municipal water. There are not a lot options that fit the criteria the OP laid out.
To me, if its a mobile home that is a deal killer. If its a "55 MPH" modular that is not a bad thing. The quality of modular homes built in a factory "assembly line"setting are really very good, arguably better than a lot of stick built on site homes

Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I noted that I knew nothing but the link.
It has 4 acres, a 30x40 outbuilding and municipal water. There are not a lot options that fit the criteria the OP laid out.
To me, if its a mobile home that is a deal killer. If its a "55 MPH" modular that is not a bad thing. The quality of modular homes built in a factory "assembly line"setting are really very good, arguably better than a lot of stick built on site homes
Some of them even have some architecture to them now. Just watch for modular built of 2x3 or 2x2, or with stud spacing more than 18" some are fire traps, make sure it is not one of those.

If it is modular, get the maker and do some research.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,233,891 times
In my admittedly limited experience the 2x3 and 2x2 stuff is way more likely to be a mobile home than a modular home. Mobile homes aka manufactured homes, aka trailers, aka double wides are built to a federal hud standard whereas modular homes are built to codes at their final destination.

But your point is valid.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
In my admittedly limited experience the 2x3 and 2x2 stuff is way more likely to be a mobile home than a modular home. Mobile homes aka manufactured homes, aka trailers, aka double wides are built to a federal hud standard whereas modular homes are built to codes at their final destination.

But your point is valid.
I think it depends on the location and date it was installed/built. Some of the early modular homes were much like mobile homes. In fact they really were mobile homes with one wall missing and some buckles to hold the two sides together.

Some of the newer ones are amazing. The have two stories, architectural features, even balconies. I have seen a few that will put many modern subdivision homes to shame.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM

169 posts, read 184,196 times
Manufactured homes are like cars. Their value depreciates.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
Manufactured homes are like cars. Their value depreciates.
No. Not really. They are the same as houses, just made using different means and methods. Like any other house, they depreciate and appreciate with the market, but generally just go up.

You may be confusing manufactured homes with mobile homes. A manufactured home is the same as any other house. You buy a lot, put in a slab and utilities (or a basement); they build the house in sections in a factory; ship the sections to your property and assemble them on the foundation; hook in utilities and BAM - instant house.

As mentioned, they used to be little more than two trailer homes buckled together. Now, they are two story homes as well as ranch, have peaked roofs, balconies, bay windows, porches, everything a house has, only they are built in a factory rather than on site. In general (not always) quality control in a factory tends to be better. Workers work in a controlled environment and are not impacted by weather. They now build them to code, using much the same materials as they use in any subdivision house. Depending on shipping distances, they can be substantially cheaper than site built homes.

The primary downside is they all look alike. There are fairly limited options available and nothing is customized. Depending on how they are built, it may be risky or impossible to make substantial alterations to them down the road. They are somewhat limited in size, However some are quite large and come in four plus sections that are fastened together and can be at least 2000 s.f. Maybe more.

It is kind of like buying a car. You can select different models, and different option packages, but every Cadillac CTS is gong to look like a Cadillac CTS. They can have different options, but they are basically the same. Just like you can choose between a CTS, and ATS or an Escalade, you can choose small ranch houses, two story houses, reasonably large houses (one or two story).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit