Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times

Advertisements

The price range of $120-150k is going to be extremely difficult to find anything desirable that meets some of the criteria inside the perimeter bounded by I-94 and US-23.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,249,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_s View Post
For example, would I feel safe walking my dog at night?
I don't know what your comfort level is with firearms but here in Michigan you can open carry a pistol while walking your dog at night. Open carry simply means it must be visible, not concealed. For a fee and after taking the training class you can also carry a concealed weapon. A concealed permit will cost you $175-$250 including a class ($70 to $150) and the county registration fee ($105).
That all assumes you have a clean criminal record and you are a citizen of the state.

As others have suggested at your price point something is going have to give. School quality drives prices up so you get more bang for the buck if schools are not crucial.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM

Sumpter township will get you the price range, the proximity to DTW, the land, but not the schools.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:01 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
The price range of $120-150k is going to be extremely difficult to find anything desirable that meets some of the criteria inside the perimeter bounded by I-94 and US-23.
Yep. With that price range you're limited to far flung rural towns (Lapeer, Fowlerville) or downscale suburbs (Redford, Garden City). Housing prices overall have rebounded to the point where $150 is really the low end for a small, move-in ready home in a decent area. Unless you want a fixer-upper that you'll need to pour money into, you're going to have a tough time find what you want with that price range.

Also keep in mind that there is a housing shortage in Metro Detroit. I'm not sure about the rural areas, but in the Metro area most move in ready homes that hit the market receive multiple bids, many of which are over asking price. You will have a lot of competition in any decent metro area that you're shopping in.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 AM

Here is one....don't know anything about it other than the link.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...54_rect/14_zm/

Old 07-31-2017, 12:49 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Here is one....don't know anything about it other than the link.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...54_rect/14_zm/
That's pretty much exactly what she will find out here in rural western Monroe County as well, if she wants land and a place to raise animals. Basically a small plot of land with a small, fixer upper house that lacks curb appeal. If there is a barn involved then the quality of the house will be even less. If she decides against the land and livestock idea, $150,000 will buy a nice but older home on a small lot in town.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but the housing market has really rebounded down this way too. For example, we paid $230.000 for our house about eight years ago and today houses very similar to it in our neighborhood are selling for $269,000 and up. It's definitely a seller's market and by the time you see something that is a halfway decent deal, it is almost always already snapped up. We can be at Detroit Metro Airport in just about exactly 30 minutes barring any traffic delays, but it's because it's all expressway.

The thing to watch about buying somewhere very close to the airport like Belleville or Romulus is the 24/7 noise from the planes overhead. Detroit Metro is a very large, very busy airport. We are 40 miles from the airport and we still have a ton of air traffic overhead every day. The difference is the altitude, because we can't really hear the jets overhead. The closer to the airport, the closer the jets and the louder the noise.

Carleton/Sumter Twp. may be less expensive than here, I don't know that area very well at all. That may be a good place to start looking. I haven't heard anything terrible about the Airport school district, which is the district that Carleton lies in.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 PM

169 posts, read 185,411 times
I suggest renting for a year before committing to a home purchase. I'm assuming you don't know anything about the area. The only way you'll get to know different areas is by living in and around them and visiting them several times. I'd hate to commit to buying a home anywhere foreign based on others opinions. Move here, rent, and in the meantime get to know different areas you think will appeal to you. That's what I'd do.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Yep. With that price range you're limited to far flung rural towns (Lapeer, Fowlerville) or downscale suburbs (Redford, Garden City). Housing prices overall have rebounded to the point where $150 is really the low end for a small, move-in ready home in a decent area. Unless you want a fixer-upper that you'll need to pour money into, you're going to have a tough time find what you want with that price range.

Also keep in mind that there is a housing shortage in Metro Detroit. I'm not sure about the rural areas, but in the Metro area most move in ready homes that hit the market receive multiple bids, many of which are over asking price. You will have a lot of competition in any decent metro area that you're shopping in.
You both are absolutely right. That's a huge worry being a first time home buyer; I won't be able to keep up with the higher bidders. I'm hoping if I'm semi in the boonies searching there will be less competition with other buyers.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 PM

7 posts, read 6,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
I suggest renting for a year before committing to a home purchase. I'm assuming you don't know anything about the area. The only way you'll get to know different areas is by living in and around them and visiting them several times. I'd hate to commit to buying a home anywhere foreign based on others opinions. Move here, rent, and in the meantime get to know different areas you think will appeal to you. That's what I'd do.
I definitely appreciate this advice. I'm not sure how difficult it is to find a house to rent out there, but in western New York we're paying double the mortgage in rent and I hate seeing our money just disappear. Another reason to go straight into buying is because of having pets and desiring privacy. I've been living in rental situations since childhood and I desperately want out. It's also harder to find a place having a dog and cat. We plan on making several weekend trips there to scope out areas, but I definitely agree living there really helps develop an idea of what is best. Thankfully it's not a forced move, it's a voluntary reassignment, so no rush to find somewhere.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:42 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_s View Post
You both are absolutely right. That's a huge worry being a first time home buyer; I won't be able to keep up with the higher bidders. I'm hoping if I'm semi in the boonies searching there will be less competition with other buyers.
You should get in touch with a local realtor and let them know what your needs and price range are. They'll be the most familiar with current market conditions and will be able to tell you what is realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit