U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2017, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
28,690 posts, read 48,811,611 times
Reputation: 20474

Advertisements

It all started, and ended, on this day 42 years ago.

It was a hot July afternoon, nearly 92 degrees, when Teamsters president and labor icon Jimmy Hoffa is said to have opened the rear door of a 1975 maroon Mercury in the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant, in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and climbed in.

Jimmy Hoffa investigation: Frank Sheeran and blood evidence found in the case | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2017, 02:39 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,861,575 times
Reputation: 10936
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
It all started, and ended, on this day 42 years ago.

It was a hot July afternoon, nearly 92 degrees, when Teamsters president and labor icon Jimmy Hoffa is said to have opened the rear door of a 1975 maroon Mercury in the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant, in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and climbed in.

Jimmy Hoffa investigation: Frank Sheeran and blood evidence found in the case | Fox News
That matches how the mob does things.

The mob owned funeral home sewed it up well.

Little did the hit man realize way back when that it would be possible to uncover forensic evidence 40+ years in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2017, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor MI
2,114 posts, read 1,357,246 times
Reputation: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Teamsters president and labor icon Jimmy Hoffa is said to have opened the rear door of a 1975 maroon Mercury in the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant, in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and climbed in.
"coincidentally" the Red Fox location is now an Andiamo owned by the son-in-law of Anthony Tocco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 PM
 
2,952 posts, read 4,356,878 times
Reputation: 2238
I'm not an expert, but I've read a fair amount about it, and it's seemed the most credible theory for a long time.

Scorcese is making a movie about it with De Niro called "The Irishaman."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 AM
 
5,114 posts, read 4,825,309 times
Reputation: 4380
For a while, back in the 1990's/2000's, it seemed that every semi-famous mobster on his deathbed was claiming that he was the one who whacked Hoffa. Most of the claims were dismissed as old men trying for fame before they died.

The Frank Sheeran story comes close to being the most accepted/plausible confession. But there's an issue with his claims, hinging on the Detroit house where the execution supposedly takes place. The FBI found old blood stains on the wood floor in the foyer, where Sheeran claims he shot Hoffa. People who want to believe Sheeran's story claim that the stains were too old to be useful for DNA testing, but the FBI did manage to determine that two of the stains definitely weren't from Jimmy Hoffa's blood.

Which, IMO, means that Sheeran's story at the least has holes in it. Maybe Sheeran didn't really do it, but was helping his buddy, Charles Brandt, sell his book. Maybe Sheeran did do it, but got the location of the house wrong. Maybe Sheeran got the location right, but the house was used multiple times for hits.

All that I know for certain, is that if you live in Detroit and you want your driveway dug up and replaced, or you want the back 40 plowed up for planting, try giving the local FBI office a call and tell them that Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,781 posts, read 65,708,971 times
Reputation: 32980
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
All that I know for certain, is that if you live in Detroit and you want your driveway dug up and replaced, or you want the back 40 plowed up for planting, try giving the local FBI office a call and tell them that Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried there.
Tried that. They didn't come. Still stuck with a gravel driveway, at least they could have sent me a free load of gravel. Harry Bennett had a house just down the street from us. He probably wanted to be rid of Hoffa.

Still - nothing. Not one shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Rochester
856 posts, read 1,699,235 times
Reputation: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
For a while, back in the 1990's/2000's, it seemed that every semi-famous mobster on his deathbed was claiming that he was the one who whacked Hoffa. Most of the claims were dismissed as old men trying for fame before they died.

The Frank Sheeran story comes close to being the most accepted/plausible confession. But there's an issue with his claims, hinging on the Detroit house where the execution supposedly takes place. The FBI found old blood stains on the wood floor in the foyer, where Sheeran claims he shot Hoffa. People who want to believe Sheeran's story claim that the stains were too old to be useful for DNA testing, but the FBI did manage to determine that two of the stains definitely weren't from Jimmy Hoffa's blood.

Which, IMO, means that Sheeran's story at the least has holes in it. Maybe Sheeran didn't really do it, but was helping his buddy, Charles Brandt, sell his book. Maybe Sheeran did do it, but got the location of the house wrong. Maybe Sheeran got the location right, but the house was used multiple times for hits.

All that I know for certain, is that if you live in Detroit and you want your driveway dug up and replaced, or you want the back 40 plowed up for planting, try giving the local FBI office a call and tell them that Jimmy Hoffa's body is buried there.
Now that Martin Scorsese's "The Irishman" is getting closer to its September release, I've been reading more and more on the Hoffa hit and the possibility that Frank Sheeran was in fact the trigger man. As of right now, I tend to believe his confession. I've read what you've said - that the DNA was not a match - that certainly throws a wrench of doubt in his story. That being said, I don't believe it was a case of the DNA matching to another individual, my impression is that it was simply too old and decayed to be a match to anyone. The fact that there was even blood present inside the home Sheeran claimed he shot Hoffa, in the exact same place where he is alleged to have fallen, is more than enough of a coincidence for me to believe.

Hopefully we can learn the full truth one day. Until then, at least we get an awesome movie about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 01:30 PM
 
2,173 posts, read 2,823,425 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
"coincidentally" the Red Fox location is now an Andiamo owned by the son-in-law of Anthony Tocco.
A friend of mine has worked at Andiamo for years.

It's no coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top