U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:32 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

There are numerous studies....and you can google them yourself......that reveal that many people see blacks as less intelligent. .

Sadly, the "many people" includes blacks. If I remember right the percentages of this perception was higher amongst blacks than amongst whites. How can this misperception ever be eliminated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 AM

12,564 posts, read 7,624,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sadly, the "many people" includes blacks. If I remember right the percentages of this perception was higher amongst blacks than amongst whites. How can this misperception ever be eliminated?
It's a BELIEF that people are indoctrinated with in this society....it's taught subliminally. Blacks get indoctrinated to this belief because we are part of this society too. Note the African Immigrants coming to this country are much less inflicted with this belief. African immigrants have the highest academic achievement in the US – Atlnightspots

The solution is that you have to reverse the programming. This was the aim of many Afro-centric studies and teaching approaches. African Americans have to be targeted with positive imagery about themselves. Much of life is a self fulfilling prophecy based upon belief. Kind of like the placebo effect. Once you get a people seeing themselves negatively.....they behave negatively. If you get them to see themselves positively, the behave positively. Of course, other peoples beliefs about you influence outcomes as well, and become their own self fulfilling prophecy.

This is one of the reason why I always bring up racial history when explaining the black condition today. If people do not link cause (the past) to the effect known as the present, then the default becomes some sort of innate inferiority as the explanation. We are in a different condition because we were treated differently, in degree and or kind, historically. Hence, if you don't bring up the history of race and racism.....to explain these differences....then those differences become attributed to internal naturally differences of the races.....like that which causes blacks to run faster and jump higher. I mean....how many people think that is because blacks work harder at those sports than others?

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 08-11-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 06:41 PM

2,286 posts, read 576,245 times
I don't know if it's a good idea to bump this thread by mentionning these articles where Coleman A. Young Jr. alias Joel Loving refer Detroit as motherland. Sorry for this inconvinience.
Coleman Young II Again Uses 'Take Back the Motherland' as a Campaign Rallying Cry*–* Deadline Detroit
Finley: Young

Old 10-31-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I don't know if it's a good idea to bump this thread by mentionning these articles where Coleman A. Young Jr. alias Joel Loving refer Detroit as motherland. Sorry for this inconvinience.
Coleman Young II Again Uses 'Take Back the Motherland' as a Campaign Rallying Cry*–* Deadline Detroit
That definitely is a dog whistle call for blacks to vote a black person back in as mayor. While I do not like the optics of the city turning around......once it got in a white mayor (which I think has no correlation to Detroit's turnaround other than giving some whites confidence, who lack confidence in black leadership), I equally do not like what CY Jr. is doing.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:40 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,467,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
The man's an idiot! Take back the motherland? The French were the original settlers in the region, and the city was basically mostly white till mid 1900s. More racist crap that Detroit doesn't need anymore! He's definitely trying to be like his father!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
The man's an idiot! Take back the motherland? The French were the original settlers in the region, and the city was basically mostly white till mid 1900s. More racist crap that Detroit doesn't need anymore! He's definitely trying to be like his father!
Disadvantage just begets disadvantage. Racism, from the beginning and in the form of slavery, later in the form of Jim Crow and later in the form of white flight......created disadvantage for a race of people. People, like Coleman Young Sr simply called it like it was. He pointed out those realities and people did not like it. He was NOT a racist....he exposed racism which has always been unpopular with the ruling class in America.

Here is the reality as I see it. A people who have been disadvantaged and have never recovered from it cannot do for Detroit what the advantaged people can do for it. Detroit is basically coming back due to white interest to invest and move back into the city. Detroit declined because of white interest to divest and move out the city. If people want Detroit to come back, it has to look like it looks now, with a white mayor to boost the confidence of the corporate community and potential white residents looking to move to the city and who see black leadership as incompetent and corrupt.

Here is the reality. Racism has ALWAYS worked for whites, collectively, if not individually. Detroit can thrive as a city with lots of white racism going on. The only problem would be blacks complaining and fighting injustice or trying to hold society accountable for its racism and how it helps shape the black condition. History is full of examples of how cities have prospered....while racism was rampant. Its most of the history of this nation. However, the reverse will never be true. Detroit cannot thrive as a majority black city where blacks are racist. Blacks cannot survive as a people if they were racist in America because blacks they are dependent upon the white ruling class....still. At this point in time, as in the past, that is just how it is. Things are not equal and they are not fair. Disadvantage begets disadvantage.

I don't agree with what CY Jr slogan. If he wants to call out racism or call out how Detroit's come back is missing most of black Detroit, that is one thing. That would be what his father would do. However, "Taking back the Motherland" has racist overtones. Blacks ultimately get hurt by being racist while whites have almost always benefited from racism or in-spite of them being racist. Blacks cannot do the same thing....nor should we want to.

CY Jr is not channeling his father. He is channeling Donald Trump.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-31-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 07:40 PM

About CY, there was a not so well known Canadian band called Mescaline Ritual who did this song for CY in the early 1990s aired in a local tv cable station.
I wonder if CY Jr. might like that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THV2D2GmqOw

Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,077,960 times
In addition to the issues mentioned in the above posts, it seems that there's been an unusual lot of political corruption. I wasn't in Michigan until the mid-nineties, but what I have heard about since then has truly stunned me. Don't understand how some of these individuals can live with themselves.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:55 PM

27,776 posts, read 65,692,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
In addition to the issues mentioned in the above posts, it seems that there's been an unusual lot of political corruption. I wasn't in Michigan until the mid-nineties, but what I have heard about since then has truly stunned me. Don't understand how some of these individuals can live with themselves.
Political corruption goes way back Meet the 5 worst mayors in Detroit history

Some mayors not listed in the top 5 were very good at covering their corrupt activities. So, while people involved with the City were generally aware of them, there was no notoriety and even today people still claim there was no corruption.

Since the fall of the worst mayor every (anywhere probably), Kwami Kilpatrick, there has been a lot of focus on cleaning up the act of the city. We had some mayors who did not or could not really do anything at all, but generally the level of corruption/pay to play and self aggrandizement fell perceptibly and continued to fall.

Not only corruption, but rampant prejudice ruled the city. Some of it very recently. Early on, rampant prejudice against blacks was the rule of the day, more recently rampant prejudice by blacks was the City modus operandi (i watched more than one council meeting where the council denied a contract to the lowest most qualified bidder because they were white, or on one case because the company was based in Howell Michigan - (a KKK grand wizard lived near Howell (in Cohoctah) 20 or so years ago).

The current mayor is a very no nonsense guy. He is blunt, very in-artful about his approach to things, not a great speaker. He is a worker. A get things done type of guy. Excuses, blame, complaining, all do not interest him. Only results. He will take whatever resources he can get in his drive to foster the rebuilding of the City and he cares little for political correctness. It is amazing he was elected twice and will likely win again by a large margin. There is a lot of pushback about how slow the revitalization is to reach many of the neighborhoods and the fact there are only enough available resources to revitalize small areas at a time.

I really like the fact he does not get caught up in the trap of trying to please everyone a little bit and ending up spreading resources out so much that the only changes are tiny and meaningless (but equally apportioned throughout more areas) Finally someone has realized we need to have some areas actually nice in order to eventually improve the entire city (and some areas of the City are probably not salvageable). Also very little talk of corruption or graft, at least not from any source you should take seriously. Undoubtedly there is still some corruption waste etc somewhere in the City Government behemoth, but it is not widespread or widely recognized like it used to be.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:47 AM

As Rod Stewart might said "Tonight, the night". Let's see if Mike Duggan will be re-elected or if Joel Loving alias CY II will be elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or