Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

It has been accepted by economists for a long time that water will soon be more important and more valuable than oil. actually it already is. Go to the store and figure out how much it would cost to fill your car with Dasani.

We are slowly working to correct our dependency on oil. We cannot do anything about our dependency on water.

By the way, I just learned that you can run any diesel fueled car on vegetable oil. You can get waste oil from McDonalds, filter it and put it in the gas tank, you just cannot do it when it is cold outside, or you have to set up some way to heat the vegetable oil. I wonder haw many MPG you get with French fry oil? Do you get better mileage from freedom fries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndnlr View Post
Will the economy ever rebound?
Nope, that's why I'm stocking up on bazookas and dogfood. This way, when the inevitable happens, I will have something to eat and blow up S#!^.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 15,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for an economic recovery in the Detroit area but I've been reading and hearing good things about Grand Rapids; it's like a fresh, up-and-coming city. I'd suggest going to the Grand Rapids area. Note that the state of Michigan has a dysfunctional state legislature and horrible leadership and that it seems very unlikely that the state government will act to improve the state's overall business climate and attract new businesses.

However...consider this...employers from Wyoming come to Michigan to hold job fairs and people who need jobs are fleeing Michigan in droves--many for Wyoming--where the jobs are. If you want to live in a Michigan-like state have you considered Wisconsin or perhaps Minnesota?

Is Wyoming really that bad? I've read different things about it. I've read that although the jobs are there, they really don't pay all that well and that it's difficult to find housing and that the economy goes through boom and bust cycles and that the weather is windy and yucky.
I have considered Minnesota...the twin cities to be exact, but the cost of living is so high that it kind of just turns me away from wanting to live there

Wyoming really isnt that horrible...the jobs here are definatly plentiful and pay very well in gillette and other "energy" cities, heck i get paid 10.50 an hour to deliver water for culligan..and the arbys here is hiring at 9.50 an hour...when i worked at walmart i got paid 10.15 an hour to push carts in from the parking lot, and that was pay grade 1, cashiers got at least 12.00 per hour

Housing is extremely tight right now, you will not find a house for under 300,000 in gillette, with that being said, we really havent felt the housing crisis the rest of the country has, and property values just keep climbing...for instance, my parents bought a house for 75,000 dollars 9 years ago, they just got it appraised alst year and it is worth 274,000 dollars...that is what i would call apreciation to the maximum

You are also correct about the boom and bust cycles...for instance, Gillette had a population of just 2,500 in 1960, by 1970 it was 10,000, by 1980 it was 17,000...then came the bust, and we fell back to 12,000, then came another boom and we were at about 18,000 in 1990, and it stayed at 18,000 through the 1990's...today it is over 31,000 and still growing...we all know the bust is coming and we dont want it to becasue the city is doing great for itself. Construction was just completed on a new 4 million dollar fire station, we just started building a 49 million dollar multi event center by the new high school, and we are getting a new multi event center in August that cost 56 million...so in other words we are spending the money while we have it because we know a bust is coming in the future

About the weather...yes it does suck alot...there is alot of wind in the winter, it is something that you just have to deal with...and it is cold to, even during the summer temperatures can dip to 30 or lower at night..but then again we get those 3 weeks or so of 100 degree plus weather

So really all in all im just looking for a change, i have lived here my entire life except for a brief preriod in Denver. Michigan just seemed to catch my eye and i hope to continue getting input form you all..thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit