Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM

63 posts, read 116,953 times

Advertisements

I could have sworn this street used to go all the way from 13 Mile to Normandy Rd. When I tried driving through there Today, I found that it breaks off and I'm forced to go left and back out to Coolidge. When was this change implemented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:48 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,654,612 times
According to Google Earth, sometime before 2002. It looks like you technically can go north from 13 to Normandy, though the "left turn only" sign has been in place since at least 2012. You probably can't (or shouldn't) go south as that portion just south of Starr is One-Way.

That whole area where Coolidge and Woodward intersect and Beaumont exists is an absolute nightmare if you don't know it well. It makes sense for me now since I frequent the area, but man when I first moved to the Royal Oak, I hated that area only second to the Main/Rochester/Crooks/Gardenia/Catalpa intersection, which just needs to be bulldozed and turned into a roundabout (or sequence of roundabouts).

Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,929,569 times
I used to live in the area right by there and Edgar has been Do-Not Enter south and Left-Turn-Only north at Starr for as long as I can ever remember, going back as said at least prior to 2000.

Its signed as Edgar off of 13 Mile where it goes through the parking lot of the putt-putt, driving range, and batting cages but you are supposed to turn left at Starr.

Supposedly it was done so to reduce cut-through traffic going to from the driving range / Memorial Park parking lots. However, plenty of people ignore the traffic signs there.

The whole 13-Mile/Woodward/Coolidge trifecta nexus of the universe is a hot mess. The shopping center being torn-down has temporarily reduced some of the turning traffic. It got a lot worse when they installed new traffic lights and changing the timing at 13 & Coolidge, as the left-turn arrows are a lot shorter than they used to be a few years ago. The left-turn arrow from Coolidge on to Woodward is too short as well and confusing to many drivers as well. 14 & Coolidge is a hot mess as well, which was amplified with all of the retail on Coolidge between Maple & 14-Mile when they replaced the Ford Tractor plant.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 AM

63 posts, read 116,953 times
Thanks for the replies. It would be so much easier if they would just open Normandy back up and leave it open for more than two hours in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: