Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 11:23 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times

Advertisements

Sorry to go off topic...it's sad, but sometimes the more advantages that people have had while growing up, the less they appreciate it; especially while they are young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
You do realize that a significant part of why you were able to attend an elite university and have options once you graduated is because you grew up in boring ass Northville?
Nope. Sorry. Incorrect. HQ2 is not going to Northville.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM

That's probably a good thing for Northville. Now perhaps it would be a good thing if more businesses could be attracted to Detroit. It would certainly be a mixed bag, as it has been for Seattle. A whole lot less appealing than I thought it would be when I visited last summer. A big surprise after so many years of hype. I would NOT wish to live there. The nearby mountains and parks were beautiful, though.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:02 PM

221 posts, read 189,888 times
Apologies if I've offended anyone about Northville, I acknowledge that it's a very nice place to grow up in SE Michigan. I'm just saying that the drain of talent of college graduates from Michigan's universities is hurting the state, a lot. If you can't get Michiganders to stay, how are you going to get outsiders to move here and brave the cold winters?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:31 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Apologies if I've offended anyone about Northville, I acknowledge that it's a very nice place to grow up in SE Michigan. I'm just saying that the drain of talent of college graduates from Michigan's universities is hurting the state, a lot. If you can't get Michiganders to stay, how are you going to get outsiders to move here and brave the cold winters?
Your viewpoint is shared by most on here, and no offense was taken regarding Northville.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:05 PM

513 posts, read 498,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Most people totally get it and agree with you.

I think some of these posters don't have young, college educated relatives or don't get to cities outside of the midwest often.

My personal prediction is that Detroit will be back in the mix in about 10 years. There's so much potential. The upside to all the torn down houses is that there is TONS of developable land with the infrastructure already there.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:37 PM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
So what you guys are saying because UofM grads in Ann Arbor and MSU grads in East Lansing(even though they are great places) can't find jobs or have fun in downtown Detroit are running out of the entire state. I thought people say that Oakland County and Ann Arbor were the economic hubs of Michigan. The grads don't want to live in Oakland County and Ann Arbor too,nor have fun in Royal Oak?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:23 PM

169 posts, read 185,219 times
How many people actually say that they want to move to Detroit or Metro Detroit because it’s such a nice area? The only thing keeping me and a ton of other people in Metro Detroit is steady employment. If I left, I’d take a large pay cut. The only outsiders who actually want to move here are the adventurous young types who want the percieved adventure of downtown.

You never hear people say, “I want to move to Detroit (or Metro Detroit) because of the relatively bad school systems, flat landscape, cold winters, and horrible reputation.”

This isn’t rocket science. It amazes me when people are dumbfounded when they realize people don’t want to move or live here. Relative to other metropolitan areas in the country, Detroit is likely one of the least disirable. And for good reason. Shoot, we even have to overpay our sports stars in order to lure them to Detroit.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:09 PM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack View Post
How many people actually say that they want to move to Detroit or Metro Detroit because it’s such a nice area? The only thing keeping me and a ton of other people in Metro Detroit is steady employment. If I left, I’d take a large pay cut. The only outsiders who actually want to move here are the adventurous young types who want the percieved adventure of downtown.

You never hear people say, “I want to move to Detroit (or Metro Detroit) because of the relatively bad school systems, flat landscape, cold winters, and horrible reputation.”

This isn’t rocket science. It amazes me when people are dumbfounded when they realize people don’t want to move or live here. Relative to other metropolitan areas in the country, Detroit is likely one of the least disirable. And for good reason. Shoot, we even have to overpay our sports stars in order to lure them to Detroit.

So would you say that YOU are miserable because in your own words YOU are stuck here and always comment as though as if speaking for everyone else, as if you know or have met everyone. Wow, you sound like some drug dealers or a exotic dancer saying they only do what they really hate because it pays well. My advice to YOU is that if YOU truely hate it in Metro Detroit or Detroit proper you should really plan on leaving as soon as possible, life is short, and leave Metro Detroit or Detroit to the thousands if not millions who enjoy it here.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM

When someone has a beastly commute it can sour them on their city...wherever it is. Especially in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit