Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:50 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,945 times

Advertisements

Great idea. The industrialization museum could be a part of the attraction for the brewery besides that fact that it was an auto plant. However what you would want to see- needs funding. Sorry. Who would pay for the extravagance of your museum? You? The City of Detroit? I don't think so.
Yes, old buildings are restorable. In the old days instead of glass and steel- Iron, Brick and Cement was used for constructing buildings. Well built, like a fortress. The building in all probability would not burn down.
In San Antonio, Texas there are two old breweries that have been turned into a Five Star Hotel and an Art Gallery. Those were once, the Pearl and Lone Star Breweries. Also, heavy duty buildings from the early twentieth century.
The famous Lone Star Beer, the recipe and its' label were bought by the Olympia Brewing co. and is produced in Dallas now. The taste is similar but not the same as when the beer was brewed in old San Antone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It's really great that old buildings are being revived rather than demolished. But rather than just turning the Packard Plant into a brewery, being such a landmark of deindustrialization, I would like to see at least a part of it being turned into a museum about industrialization and deindustrialization, and another part of it kept in its present condition and made safe to be opened up for the public to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:28 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,606 times
I would have expected Trump, in his efforts to make America great again, would have some funding somewhere to restore historic buildings like the Packard Plant. As for me personally paying, well not for the whole thing but I would be happy to contribute to a crowd funding campaign, should there be one, to restore the Packard Plant.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 AM

It appears there was a little mishap at the Packard Plant: the pedestrian bridge collapsed into the road: article on MLive. Fortunately nobody was harmed. There is good news too: the article also mentions the plant is going through a $300 million renovation to turn it into a brewery and office space.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:30 PM

130 posts, read 186,226 times
Apparently the end is in sight for the Packard factory. Fernando Palazuelo has given up on his redevelopment plans and is about to sell the property. Likely it will be demolished:

Free story from the Detroit News:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...nd/8487325002/

Better story in the Detroit Free Press but you need a subscription:

https://www.freep.com/restricted/?re...F8455931002%2F

Old 10-18-2021, 08:36 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
I only read the free story, and it didn't say the plant will likely be demolished. More likely another sucker not from the area will buy it and let it decay for another long period of time. The city should condemn it and tear it down. It is beyond salvageable and is an eyesore. Could you imagine living across the street from that, as some do?

Old 10-19-2021, 07:52 PM

130 posts, read 186,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I only read the free story, and it didn't say the plant will likely be demolished. More likely another sucker not from the area will buy it and let it decay for another long period of time. The city should condemn it and tear it down. It is beyond salvageable and is an eyesore. Could you imagine living across the street from that, as some do?
You are right. The "free" Detroit News story link doesn't mention a tear down but it is much shorter than the Free Press story which is a much longer cover story.

I didn't read the online link to the Free Press article either (since I didn't want to pay for it since I'd already read the old fashion paper version Saturday)

In the Free Press Saturday October 16 edition that I just pulled out of my recycle basket, the headline on the front page right side story by JC Reindel says "Packard Plant could be bought, torn down" then in the fourth paragraph of the story it says "Prospective buyers so far aren't looking to keep the old 3,200,000-square-foot Packard Plant ruins. They would tear it down and start fresh with new construction." and then the story continues for another 2/3rds of a page on page 7A, mostly talking about the unnamed prospective buyers and demolition.

I also pulled my copy of the Saturday Detroit News out of the basket and cannot even find their story at all. The online News story is also dated 10-16. So either it was a late response to the Free Press article only printed in a press run later than my outstate edition (I don't even think they do that anymore,) or it was only posted online (again as a response to the Free Press cover story.)

Old 10-20-2021, 01:23 PM

Already a year ago it was reported the Packard Plant redevelopment was cancelled and the buildings would be sold or demolished. I guess a brewery or offices were not a sustainable during the continuing pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7DkqvcUH4o

Last edited by drro; 10-20-2021 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: