Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Since January 22nd, a new timetable has been in place for Amtrak’s Wolverine service. Acquisition of rail right of ways and track improvements have been being made since ARRA passed in 2012 and awarded MDOT funding for improving the service.

Here’s the new timetable: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...ule-012218.pdf

It’s not high speed rail, but it’s an improvement. Now the question is if there’s going to be a significant uptick in rides to Detroit. The good thing is that the Qline links up with it, rideshare services are pretty available, and the area the Qline serves is like a greatest hits list of the city, so it’s not ludicrous to come in via rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM

I wonder if we’ll ever see high-speed service from Chicago to Toronto/Buffalo via Detroit as it’s one of the few routes that could make sense in the near future.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Whether ridership picks up will depend in part on whether they meet these times. The schedule is meaningless if they are frequently half an hour to three hours late. It has to be virtually never late for it to be practical.

To go to Toronto/Buffalo, they have to build a route across or under the water. I do not think there is anything they can use now. They will also have to build a Customs inspection station at each border crossing. That system will cost billions to build. I doubt we will ever see it. More likely some new development in technology will make rail obsolete than a high speed passenger line to Toronto and buffalo will be built.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:52 AM

513 posts, read 498,976 times
The Blue Water used to go to Toronto, but it passed through Port Huron, missing Detroit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Water_(train)

Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,247,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It’s not high speed rail, but it’s an improvement. Now the question is if there’s going to be a significant uptick in rides to Detroit.
Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look much different than the old schedule as I look at Ann Arbor/Chicago. Same three runs with a slight difference in arrival and departure times. Its a bit nicer from my view but not so different to provide a "significant uptick in rides to Detroit" in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Whether ridership picks up will depend in part on whether they meet these times. The schedule is meaningless if they are frequently half an hour to three hours late. It has to be virtually never late for it to be practical.

To go to Toronto/Buffalo, they have to build a route across or under the water. I do not think there is anything they can use now. They will also have to build a Customs inspection station at each border crossing. That system will cost billions to build. I doubt we will ever see it. More likely some new development in technology will make rail obsolete than a high speed passenger line to Toronto and buffalo will be built.
I believe much of the funding was meant to address delays by upgrading tracks, building passing sidings, and purchasing track to disentangle passenger service from freight service.

I know it’s not where the current Detroit Amtrak station is, but didn’t the former station have an existing and not in use under the water rail passage that used to run into Canada?

Edit: found it and it’s apparently in use for freight https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mich...Railway_Tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look much different than the old schedule as I look at Ann Arbor/Chicago. Same three runs with a slight difference in arrival and departure times. Its a bit nicer from my view but not so different to provide a "significant uptick in rides to Detroit" in my opinion.
Have the trip durations been shortened?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
I believe much of the funding was meant to address delays by upgrading tracks, building passing sidings, and purchasing track to disentangle passenger service from freight service.

I know it’s not where the current Detroit Amtrak station is, but didn’t the former station have an existing and not in use under the water rail passage that used to run into Canada?

Edit: found it and it’s apparently in use for freight https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mich...Railway_Tunnel

Yes. The guy who owns the former station and the approach to that tunnel also owns the ambassador bridge and makes a fortune charging trucks that are not his to cross. So he makes certain that track does not get used.

There is a tunnel used for freight only. I think it is a different tunnel. There was some talk about changing it into a vehicle tunnel, but they woudl have to replace it completely. '

The new bridge may have a train track I do not know.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
yes a bit...15-20 minutes or so which is nice. No doubt . Again I am looking at Ann Arbor Chicago. But over a 4 plus hour ride I'm not sure 4:20 vs 4:05 is a big enough deal to spur new traffic. I think its more a bonus for those who would go regardless.
And my admittedly limited experience picking people up, the late train in to Ann Arbor is often late. Old time was 11:20 PM new time is 10:55 pm. But it leaves 10 minutes earlier so the net gain is 15 minutes.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:46 AM

My wife and I are fond of the train for our Chicago trips. Its relaxing, not too expensive and usually about the same time wise as a car. Of course a slow down on I-94 or a slow down on tracks outside Chicago can slow either mode.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
yes a bit...15-20 minutes or so which is nice. No doubt . Again I am looking at Ann Arbor Chicago. But over a 4 plus hour ride I'm not sure 4:20 vs 4:05 is a big enough deal to spur new traffic. I think its more a bonus for those who would go regardless.
And my admittedly limited experience picking people up, the late train in to Ann Arbor is often late. Old time was 11:20 PM new time is 10:55 pm. But it leaves 10 minutes earlier so the net gain is 15 minutes.
Yea, it's not a huge improvement, but even some is nice. Supposedly reduction in the potential for delays is supposed to be one of the larger benefits, so here's hoping that works out.

I'm thinking that with the Qline at the station, Detroit in particular, and Michigan in general should be trying to do a bit more advertising in letting people know that service improvements have been made and that you can actually get off at Detroit's station without a car and still access a lot of the city's highlights.

I'm not familiar with train services along this line, but does it seem like most stations are located in the downtown-ish area of their respective cities (outside of Chicago and Detroit) with a good deal of things located within walking distance of the stations?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-24-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit