Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,643,570 times

Advertisements

There is a thread on City vs. City that I like to post in sometimes that asks posters where they'd rather live out of two cities across the US. People answer, usually give a sentence or two why they answered the way they did, and then propose two new options for the next poster. This creates an ongoing, radiant thread that makes things seem alive. I thought it would be fun to bring it here, but specific to Metro Detroit.

Basic Rules:
  • Try to mostly keep it to Metro Detroit -- or places people could reasonably commute to Metro Detroit from (you can define that however you wish, if you think Toledo is reasonable, you know, whatever - but don't be putting Los Angeles or Kathmandu as options).
  • Since it's only the metro/region let's also use neighborhoods and popular intersections, but don't feel obligated to - I simply think if this gets a few pages in we'll need that.
  • Since there's a limited number of us who regularly post, feel welcome to answer as often as you want.
  • Options don't have to be nice, you can give two crap options if you want, that's part of the fun.
  • Don't double answer. Certainly a previous answer can spawn fun discussion about why one picked one way or why you believe that poster's answer sucks and the other is preferable, but if you're not answering the last one on the table, please put at the end of the post what the remaining two options still in play are.
  • No introducing a third option or answering "neither". Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy.

Most important rule:
  • If you answer you must post two new options.
  • If someone fails to do this, feel welcome to ignore their answer and respond to the last two options on the table and present two new options of your own.

Okay, I'll start with something I believe most posters will consider two desirable options:

Downtown Detroit vs. Bloomfield Hills
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,379,373 times
Downtown. More going on. Bloomfiled Hills if it was waterfront with a dock, might have an edge. Depends on the house. However a Million $ will get you a pretty cool place downtown.

Grosse Point vs. Northville.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 06-04-2018 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 12:36 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,221,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Grosse Point vs. Northville.
I would go with Grosse Pointe simply because my wife grew up in the Pointes and has relatives scattered throughout. No such connections in Northville.

Wyandotte or St Clair Shores?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:55 PM

374 posts, read 755,126 times
Wyandotte, because my husband lived there when he was younger and I like shopping there occasionally. Cute downtown.

Plymouth or Birmingham?

Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
Wyandotte, because my husband lived there when he was younger and I like shopping there occasionally. Cute downtown.

Plymouth or Birmingham?
Birmingham... might be snobby af but it's very nice and closer to more amenities. Plymouth is alright though.

Dearborn or Hamtramack?

Old 06-04-2018, 10:39 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,919,155 times
Dearborn.

I actually really think west Dearborn is a diamond in the rough that doesn't get the respect it deserves. The downtown area along Michigan, close by retail, close to Henry Ford/Greenfield museum, and reasonably close to downtown Detroit for events. Hines Park/Drive is fun to run and bike too. Especially if I worked for the blue oval.

Clinton Township or Westland

Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 AM

374 posts, read 755,126 times
Westland simply because it's closer to many of the amenities that I like. I'm not that familiar with Clinton Township.

Novi or Madison Heights

Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 PM

944 posts, read 1,197,975 times
Oh, this is a tough one. Probably Novi because there's way more stuff there and I'm a west sider.

Ferndale vs Berkeley

Old 06-05-2018, 02:17 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Oh, this is a tough one. Probably Novi because there's way more stuff there and I'm a west sider.

Ferndale vs Berkeley
Berkley (with two E's), because.. well.. here I am. I really like Ferndale, but I went with Berkley for the better schools and the greater appeal to 30-somethings over the Ferndale appeal to 20-somethings. Also, the incredible neighborly feel and somewhat better kept housing stock played into my preference of Berkley, but trust me - I looked at many a house in Ferndale (..and Royal Oak, and Clawson) before buying here. Berkley worked best for me, but I can respect those who prefer Ferndale.

Also, thanks for taking the Clinton vs. Westland one irongrl, I went to respond to that one but then I was like.. hmm.. uh.. nope. Gonna let someone else tackle this one.

Let's do a battle of the county seats:
Pontiac or Mount Clemens?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,221,437 times
Mount Clemens... I like the closeness to Lake St Clair and fair or not outdated or not "Pontiac" has more baggage attached in my head.

Belleville or Wayne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit