Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 06:14 PM

254 posts, read 587,136 times

Advertisements

This might seem like a naive question from someone coming from an alleged expensive city in the US thinking COL is cheap compared to it within Detroit. Perhaps there is an added tax that might inflate the prices I dunno. To give you some perspective I am looking at areas like Eastern Market and CorkTown. Prices only start to look reasonable across the river in Windsor, but is it a practical choice if I am going to spend the majority of my time in the Motor City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
I have no idea why AirBnB's are expensive compared to Boston. But to answer your last question in my opinion staying in Windsor would not be practical. Crossing the International border can be easy or slow. And you have to pay a fare to get over the privately owned bridge. I think its $5 each way each time.
I haven't crossed in a long while but I have friends who do on occasion. Depending on time of day and day of week the customs line can be a breeze or a pain. It was always easier getting in to Canada than back home last I knew. .

Old 07-04-2018, 06:20 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Well, if you are looking to stay in the trendier/safer areas of Detroit Proper, then it's going to cost you more money. The areas that you are looking at are the ones that are booming, so yeah....they are going to be more expensive.

I understand where you'd get the idea that it would be super-cheap (it's Detroit!), but that kind of thinking is really unrealistic these days.

Today's Detroit is a lot different than the Detroit of even 3-5 years ago. Detroit simply isn't a place that people avoid anymore. It's a destination and pricing reflects that.

Although I don't know your specific dates of needing an airbnb, just from a cursory search, I'm noticing that if you don't specifically stay in these areas, then prices drop a lot.

You could always stay outside Midtown/Eastern Market/Corktown and uber to where you want to go and still save a lot of money - given that some a lot of the housing is over $100/$200.

As the poster above said, Detroit/Windsor is one of the busiest crossings between the US/Canada. Also, we've found that it's a lot easier getting into Canada than it is coming back to the States.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:05 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
AirBnB has shady practices. Tripadvisor is safer and may be cheaper.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:36 PM

254 posts, read 587,136 times
One thing I noticed is that most of the AirBnB homes are owned by the same people like someone who scooped up a bunch of foreclosed homes at a good deal in 2008 and make a killing now by renting them out via AirBnB now that the area is coming around as you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: