Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal, my ex is moving with her new significant other to New Haven, taking my daughter with them. I currently live Downriver (Wayne County) and work in Taylor, with a job that pays not only my bills but pays a decent amount of child support for my child. Im now planning on moving north of the city to be closer to my daughter, and so that I can still realistically and conveniently see her on weekdays.

My budget, however, is relatively low. I cannot afford North Warren, most of Roseville, St. Clair Shores, etc.

I do not want to move farther north than that, as I'd like my property to be a decent middlepoint between my daughter's primary residence and my place of employment.

The real question: How is South Warren, really? My daughter, who is 3, would stay there approximately 4 nights per month (weekday visits would take place at a park or restaraunt near her mother's house).

As far as staying alone, I don't care too much about the quality of the area. My daughter's safety for those few nights and days a month she would be there is my only concern.

TL;DR Could someone please give me a relatively detailed rundown of every day life in the southern parts of Warren between 8 mile and 9 mile? (Sprinkles of Eastpointe details would also be appreciated)

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:19 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,543 times
South Warren isn't bad, but not great either. It looks rough in places and fine in others.

Typical incomes are in the 35-40k range, you have a decent selection of restaurants (my favorite Mexican place, Taqueria Alma, is about 10 Mile and Van Dyke). You have a clean, nice Kroger at Frazio and Hoover, there aren't any burned out houses, and when a house falls into disrepair it's usually picked up by an investor or demo'd by the city because it's a functional community with a large tax base. You get easy access to the nice stuff north of 696 like the big community center and newer shopping areas, if that appeals to you. You're only a few miles from Royal Oak/Ferndale if you want to go out some place trendy and not far from Berkley or Birmingham either. Some exceptionally persnickety individuals will claim it's dangerous, but if you look up crime stats for the city you'll see they're pretty average for a working class area and in fact, violent crime is lower than you'd expect for that kind of income. You should probably assume there is more crime south of 696 than north.

My summary on South Warren/Center Line? It's fine.

I wouldn't ever aspire to live there, but in a pinch I wouldn't avoid it either. Consider Hazel Park and Oak Park as well. Oak Park is probably a bit nicer overall while Hazel Park has a lot of promise in its future over the next 5-10 years, but South Warren is fine for the price.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
South Warren isn't bad, but not great either. It looks rough in places and fine in others.

Typical incomes are in the 35-40k range, you have a decent selection of restaurants (my favorite Mexican place, Taqueria Alma, is about 10 Mile and Van Dyke). You have a clean, nice Kroger at Frazio and Hoover, there aren't any burned out houses, and when a house falls into disrepair it's usually picked up by an investor or demo'd by the city because it's a functional community with a large tax base. You get easy access to the nice stuff north of 696 like the big community center and newer shopping areas, if that appeals to you. You're only a few miles from Royal Oak/Ferndale if you want to go out some place trendy and not far from Berkley or Birmingham either. Some exceptionally persnickety individuals will claim it's dangerous, but if you look up crime stats for the city you'll see they're pretty average for a working class area and in fact, violent crime is lower than you'd expect for that kind of income. You should probably assume there is more crime south of 696 than north.

My summary on South Warren/Center Line? It's fine.

I wouldn't ever aspire to live there, but in a pinch I wouldn't avoid it either. Consider Hazel Park and Oak Park as well. Oak Park is probably a bit nicer overall while Hazel Park has a lot of promise in its future over the next 5-10 years, but South Warren is fine for the price.
I appreciate your help and knowledge, thanks!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,792 times
I have few relatives who live in south warren, specifically between 8-10 mile. It is not fancy house but it is family oriented community. There are parks in the neighborhood, kids playing in yard. The closer you are to 8 mile, the more Detroit like it is in terms of housing style and house size. As you move north, the houses get bit bigger and community quieter. I would recommend going as north as possible, closer to 9 mile or 10 mile will be best. You also have Madison Heights on other side of Dequinder which is closer to I75

Most of Warren is similar to Downriver community with South warren being similar to River Rough/Ecorse (both bordering Detroit). and North Warren being similar to Southgate/Riverview/Taylor

Old 07-03-2018, 09:42 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,463 times
South Warren (south of I-696) tends to be the less desirable parts of Warren and the closer to Eight Mile, the more the spillover effect of Detroit. However still a pretty good deal for real estate/housing and not as bad a some people make it out to be. The area was hit very hard by the recession/downturn in 2008-2010 but has stabilized a bit since.
Warren, as said, has a large tax base and is able to provide good services and you have the benefits of the broader community.

Other areas to consider in the area that are somewhat similar - Center Line, Roseville.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:08 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
Eastpointe would reduce travel time to both by being closer to I-94.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit