Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 PM

240 posts, read 285,038 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your research and answers. You've made me feel much better about moving. I took a brief trip up there in May and it was beautiful. Can't wait for fall (hope I make it in time)! And yes, I guess I'll have to wait for snow for any lessons, leroythelion!������
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
It wasn't mandated till 2013 in the USA. I realize "mandated" and "standard" are not the same but I imagine there were cars built with ABS optional right up until mandate time. Neither my 2002 Honda nor my 2001 Saturn have ABS brakes. I bought the Honda new and I vaguely remember wanting them but it was something like a $1800 up cost because they were packaged with a moonroof and a couple other things I didn't want to pay for.
That is interesting. Other than my 1973 Jensen, I do not think I have encountered a car without ABS since the early 1990s. At least not that I remember. Now ABS that is not working - that is pretty common.

Personally I prefer no ABS. It startles me every time it activates, and I would prefer that I decide when I need to pump the brakes. ABS is one response for every situation. Not every situation benefits from it.

For the OP - When it gets snowy or icy, find an empty parking lot and practice. Lose control on purpose and learn to regain it. build some confidence in sliding around and recovering from a slide, it can be fun.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 PM

240 posts, read 285,038 times
Sounds good, I will!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM

4,266 posts, read 5,896,077 times
Front wheel drive is fine.

The vehicles littering the medians and roadsides after a bad bout of winter weather, often lying on their roofs or sides, seem to be disproportionately SUV's 4WD trucks, and Cross-over vehicles. Which tells me that good tires and good driving habits are the most important items for safe winter driving.

I run dedicated snow tires in the winter months on my daily driver sedan. My wife works for the local schools so she doesn't have a commute on the worst days.

There are a couple models of "All Weather" tires which can be used year-round and provide acceptable winter traction. These have the Mountain with Snowflake symbol molded into their sidewall. Nokian and Vredestein make such tires. Another of the more mainstream European tire brands may have also recently joined the fray with such a tire.

Note: All Season tires are NOT winter tires. In fact, the car which wears the snow tires in winter wears All Seasons for Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM

50 posts, read 79,237 times
Get a good set of all weather tires and you should be fine. They plow the major streets pretty quickly.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:52 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,917,962 times
Snow tires will help with traction~many tire stores will even store them in climate controlled environment for you and put them on/take them off each season.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,132 times
The plows come through pretty quickly.

Keep an ice scraper/brush in the back seat (in case the trunk gets stuck) and slow down.

Metro Detroit is pretty easy to drive through in the snow.

Wash your car, especially the wheel wells and underbody, at least weekly to keep the brine/salt off.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
Snow tires are not a necessity, but they certainly make things more comfortable. You do need actual dedicated snow tires, not all weather or all season tires. Even some snow tires help very little. Either go to the tests on Tire Rack, or just stick with Blizzacks or Winterforce tires.

It is amazing how much better cars perform with Blizzacks or Winterforce. Our rear wheel drive cars with dedicated snows and some weight in the back, perform better in snow and ice than our front wheel drive and even some AWD cars. (Nothing handles snow as well as my truck does. It is not great on ice, but nothing is great on ice.)

Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,678 times
Hi everyone! This is my first post! lol

But I'm also moving to Rochester/Rochester Hills in 3 weeks, and very nervous about driving in the snow! I'm an Arizona native.. lived here (in AZ) for the entire 28 years of my life. So needless to say, I have absolutely NO experience driving in the snow. lol We get the occasional heavy rain and dust storm during the monsoon season, but that's def not an every day occurrence. lol but I figure that snow driving should be treated the same way as heavy rain? Drive slow, and keep your distance.. lol I drive a Honda Civic Coupe, and it does have ABS... but snow tires will def be bought! Anything to avoid an accident! :O Car insurance in Michigan is so damn expensive (what a pleasant surprise lol), and I can't afford an insurance hike! It doesn't help that my driving record isn't the best, but I'm learning from my mistakes, and my previous driving mishaps are starting to fall off that 3 year mark... and my AZ insurance just went down! So I'm just being a Bitter Betty about the insurance thing. lol

but anyways, any snow driving tips are much appreciated by me, too!

Last edited by melindakaye; 07-26-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 11:09 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,835,817 times
Best wishes to you on your move to Michigan! I hope you will enjoy the change of seasons and all the wonderful greenery that we have here! It's a truly gorgeous state.

Driving on snow and ice are quite different from driving in heavy rain, but driving slow and keeping your distance are certainly a good start. I have no experience with dust storms, so can't comment on that. You can adjust to winter driving gradually...you'll get it! Practicing in a big parking lot is a good idea that was mentioned previously, I think. That's what a lot of student drivers do. Living within a close commute of work will be extremely helpful. I believe someone suggested lessons through a driving school; that might help boost your confidence, too.

Hey, if this road chicken can do it, anyone can. You will be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit